Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

2013 Panigale S test ride review

2013 Panigale S test ride review

Took a white Panigale S for an hour test ride the other day. Heres my thoughts:

First off this thing has 195hp. Which means a shitload....so its quite fast. Ive read that the new superquadro engine in the Panigale has more top end power and slightly less midrange power compared to the 'old' testrastretta engine. I can confirm this. Upon getting onto the highway, with ample space and few cars I decided to twist it pretty good. Click through a gear or two and still WOT. At about 7 or 8 grand on the tach theres a serious power hit. The middle felt lackluster in comparison to the 1098/1198....but the top end, Jesus this should be illegal. Gimmie more!

The gearbox with its DQS was magnificent! Smooth and quick, I loved it. Much improved over the older bikes!

The seat/bars/footpegs are more spread out, more room to move around in the seat, a lot less 'superman' over the tank. Some would say more comfort, more relaxed. I prefer the old bikes position, but this was nice and Im sure Id get used to it.

I tried out 'race' and 'sport' modes, both have 195hp available, with the sport mode a bit less harshness upon throttle application. Not much different, just slightly. I did not try the 'rain' setting which gives you 120hp.

The Panigale changes direction with ease, a giant difference between this and the old frame bikes. The byproduct of it being able to change direction so easily is less straight line and mid corner stability. In other words, the Panigale is twitchy as hell. I was very put off by this. After jumping back on my 848 Corse, I was in heaven again....ROCK solid. Yeah, my bike takes more effort to steer it, but its as stable as can be, straightaways and corners.

The electronic suspension of the Panigale S sure is nice to look at, but I did not alter any settings. The 3 ride modes have preset suspension and ABS that in my hour long adventure I didnt touch. Id like to try a base model Panigale to compare suspension.

Now the worst part of the Panigale: after 1 mile, my legs were on fire. The heat produced by this bike is crazy. After a 15 minute highway stint and coming to a stop, Im re-amazed at how hot it is. I think leather pants are a must, just to survive.

Overall, an amazing machine. Performance dosent disapoint and it looks the part, too.

At this point, I still have zero regrets buying my 2012 'little' 848.... But I wouldnt rule out a Panigale in the future!!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: 2013 Panigale S test ride review

Pretty neat write up on a bike I'll probably never ride, let alone own.
    Enquiring minds are still sometimes curious though.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

That motor is without a doubt something special. I hope they make a streetfighter version.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Quote Originally Posted by maxim_X View Post
    That motor is without a doubt something special. I hope they make a streetfighter version.
    They'd have to put wheelie bars on the back like the drag bikes....