Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Garmin StreetPilot c550 only $99

Garmin StreetPilot c550 only $99

http://promotions.newegg.com/shellsh...r_brandBnr.jpg

$100 off and free shipping. I don't know how good this GPS is but it seems like a good deal. Also don't know how well it would work on a bike.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Garmin StreetPilot c550 only $99

Just ordered one, great deal.

Bruce
    2007 VFR800 25th Anniversary
    2003 Honda RC51

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Recertified, eh? I haven't had good luck with refurbished electronics. Both a 4th Gen iPod and a Garmin wrist-GPS that I bought as refurbs failed.

I'll buy new.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

I have used that unit and liked it very much.
    Very easy to use and fairly accurate.

Great deal

It doesnt appear to include MapSource...the software to create routes on your PC and them push them to the GPS...

You don't NEED that to use the GPS but to create a complex route...like I try to do for my rides...you really need to to that on your computer using the software...

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

I had the c330 for years and it never failed me once. I've since given it to my girlfriend who also loves it.

Awesome in-car unit!

sold out y'all

Quote Originally Posted by Punjistick View Post

$100 off and free shipping. I don't know how good this GPS is but it seems like a good deal. Also don't know how well it would work on a bike.
    Sold out.

Jake
    2006 ZX-10R
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

I bought a c340 refurbed about two years ago for $150 and thought it was a good deal. Got a RAM mount and used it on battery power. Had to pull over a few times in the rain and put it away, so I started looking around and found...

The 2720 refurbed from Amazon for $125 shipped. This is an older unit, but it's got the basic features I really found lacking in the c340 - it's "submersible" but not "water resistant" but that's good enough for me w/my small Givi windscreen, it allows up to 50 routes (ones you design on your PC or pull down when DucDave posts 'em), allows you to scroll the map to figure out where you'd like to go (the c340 just zooms out and you lose details like street names and route numbers).

The downside of the 2720 is that it doesn't use a battery, so it forced me to purchase a dedicated motorcycle power line from Amazon for $25 and the RAM mount is a bit complicated, but completely managable. Suggested fallback is a safety tether just in case.

So, for way under $200 with dedicated power cord and RAM mount I've got a rain resistant GPS that I will get way more use from than than the c340.

Oh yeah, it keeps logs of your previous excursions until it runs out of memory and over writes the oldest log in the queue. Very cool for figuring out just where the hell you went today.

Something else I find very useful are the four buttons which unfortunately, are located on the right side (the Zumo has them on the left, the 2720 was designed as a marine GPS). You can quickly cycle through map screens, menu screens, etc. by clicking quickly. Much simpler than looking at the screen and waiting for the response. You can keep the touchscreen interaction to a minimum using the buttons.

And the "speak" button is great, even if you don't have audio. It will give you a video preview of all the info you need for the next turn - how far, which direction to turn and the name of the street.

I've been using it in the car and found it much easier to use and read than the c340. It's also faster on updating maps, GPS positions and when it reroutes, it actually comes up with routes that make sense instead of the dumbass "back to the exit" turns the c340 wanted me to take. The screen is much more readable in bright sunlight and appears less "washed out" than the c340.

Last edited by Danno; 11-14-08 at 10:19 AM.
    My latest mantra for MA cage drivers
    -- "The rocks in your brain are the gravel in my path" --

I think those are just the older ones, only real downside is that they are kind of big and fat. The Nuvi's are nice, smaller than a wallet, you can just put it in your pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Punjistick View Post