Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Last weekend's story

Lifer

Cool Last weekend's story

So after heading up to Loudon last Thursday, I got it in my head that I should go to Vermont for the weekend as the weather forecast was better up there.

So I leave about 6PM from Waltham to head up to Burlington, VT.

I actually had to decide whether to ride or take the car. When I check the car has 1/8th of a tank of gas, the bike has 2/3rds of a tank. Bike it is, as I can get out of MA without having to stop to fill up. It's been my experience that on friday I want to get the hell out of MA as fast as possible to avoid sitting in traffic.

So I actually get out pretty quickly, not much traffic on 95 or 93. I hit reserve around Eastman, NH, 15 miles short of the VT border on 89.

Pulling into the gas station, I pull out my wallet. No ATM card. Oops. No credit cards either, left them at home. I have $32. Enough to go pretty far on a bike but not enough for a weekend. At this point I'm 100 miles from home, it's about 8PM or so and just getting dark, and it's starting to look like rain. I pull out the cell phone to see what I can do. No service. Interesting, that doesn't happen many places. I end up deciding to fill up and carry on, my parents were up in VT and I have tons of other relatives up there, I'll figure something out.

I get back on the bike and right as I hit Lebanon, NH, the skies open up. I pull under a bridge and put the boot covers on, and throw my leather gloves in the bag and pull out my synthetic ones that dry quickly. All is well, it's raining hard but I have the Cordura stuff on, I'm fine. Visibility is pretty decent as well.

So it rains for about 30 miles or so, then it's clear again, but lots of wet pavement. As I get higher up into the Mountains in VT it starts to be OK. Then around Montpelier I run into grated pavement. 12 miles it says. Ok, whatever, I can handle grated pavement. I slow down to about 60 or so. What do you know, the sky opens up again HARD. The rain is somehow getting into my helmet, even though everything is closed up tight. My synthetic gloves don't have gauntlets, and the rain is going up inside the sleeves of my jacket. This sucks. As it gets bad I'm down to about 45mph in the slow lane and the cars are whipping by me at 75 even though it is a construction zone. Oh well, it'll be over soon. Get to the end... there is no end. Just another sign, "Uneven pavement, next 12 miles". Great.

As I get about 10 miles from Burlington finally the rain starts to chill out. I'm freezing. I pull into a rest area and put the winter lining into my jacket. Yes it's August and I'm wearing pretty much the warmest setup I have right now. (No electrics anymore, I sold my jacket, dumb move)

Once I stick the winter lining in I get back on the road (after stares from people at the rest area) and start to warm up again. As I head into Burlington I get a big grin on my face cause I made it, and am happy about my bike handling it so well. This was definite "front cylinder on the SV cutting out" weather, and I didn't even need to put my raingear on.

Once I arrive I find some money pretty quickly. Cool. Saturday it's awesome out, but I don't really get to ride much. I took a ride into town to have lunch but then I end up going boating.

Sunday I help mow the lawn. Exciting. Then I do something really dumb. I borrow a Sunfish and go sailing. Not so dumb. Dumb part is not wearing a shirt. Really dumb.

When I get back I hop on the bike and head south. Time to go blast around in the Mountains. I end up heading to a certain awesome twisty road that Nikon mentioned his friend crashing on a couple weeks ago. Take a good 5-6 runs up it. Notice the road absolutely has a coating of dust on it. Is it salt? In August? It seems like it might be. I end up lowering my tire pressure and taking a few more runs, and talking to some locals. Faster bikes, stickier tires, and local knowledge. I can just barely keep up with them up the mountain.

As I come down out of the mountain what do I see. Yep, more rain. The rain is coming up from the south, I get on the highway and BLAST north back to the good weather. I somehow get convinced to stay and go home Monday to avoid the remnants of the hurricane. Dumb move.

Monday I get up real early and have a non eventful ride till I hit the NH border, at which point the rain keeps getting worse and worse. Still haven't stuck my raingear on though, my current gear is awesomely waterproof. As I hit the tollbooth it starts coming down so hard I get a puddle of water built up between my legs and the tank. So much water builds up it goes up under my jacket and then spills inside my pants. Freezing cold. I pull over and dump what looks like a liter of water out of my jacket. Now I'm freezing so I do put the rain gear on, and blast home.

End up getting to work REALLY late.

Oh well... it was still better than taking the car.

Ben

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Last weekend's story

sounds like my trip home from Jamestown around the 4th.
    except i had hail too.
    hail hurts, even through leather.

Re: Last weekend's story

Originally posted by benVFR
    Once I arrive I find some money pretty quickly. Cool.
    Explain this part, I'm very interested on how one just finds money quickly

Sounds eventful, thats for sure!

Littering and........

Last weekend's story

Next time you decide to ride up to VT, let me know, I live just outside of Burlington. I'll introduce you to McCullough (sp?) Turnpike - fresh pavement twisties up a mountain and down the other side

Last weekend's story

glad to see your viffer got you though the rain. i've been cought a few times this year and my bike feels solid in the wet. abs helps too.

that sux

Benny boy, that sux! You got shat on going up and coming home...dammit! that is a big heaping pile of

Heath Smith
    LRRS/CCS #337
    Low Down Racing
    www.racetireservice.com
    www.motorbikesplus.com
    Power by Dr. Hillsgrove
    Traction by Franimal Racing Syndicate

05' KTM 525SMR,
    01' YZ426F
    05' Reiju RS1

Says Vale to Colin at the end of the 2002 8 Hours of Suzuka: "Ok Colin, you better go out there and win. Because it is the ONLY way we will NEVER have to come here again!"

Lifer

Last weekend's story

Nah, I still had a good time up there. The weather was nice up there and riding up in Vermont usually beats riding down here. It's a good bit cooler in the mountains, there is less traffic, less police, less towns to go through, etc..

I got money from my parents they owed me a bunch of money which worked out well. My grandmother gave them a summer camp on the water and I can basically go stay there anytime I want unless they are renting it.

If anyone wants to go up to VT I'm going to be up there Labor day weekend and it sounds like my parents can't go so they said if I wanted to invite anyone up, to go ahead.

Ben

Last weekend's story

Originally posted by benVFR
    Nah, I still had a good time up there. The weather was nice up there and riding up in Vermont usually beats riding down here. It's a good bit cooler in the mountains, there is less traffic, less police, less towns to go through, etc..

I got money from my parents they owed me a bunch of money which worked out well. My grandmother gave them a summer camp on the water and I can basically go stay there anytime I want unless they are renting it.

If anyone wants to go up to VT I'm going to be up there Labor day weekend and it sounds like my parents can't go so they said if I wanted to invite anyone up, to go ahead.

Ben
    Dude I'm in! Lemme know.