Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Why are my ears still ringing???

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Unhappy Why are my ears still ringing???

OMFG!!!!!!!!!!

What happens when someone lets you takes out their Buell 1125 and romp it around the track for a session? By the way this has a custom exhaust and no sound deadening in the intake area.

I was approached by said bike owner and asked me if I wanted to take the 1125 out for a run. I thought about it and having never ridden a Buell I thought it might be a fun opportunity to try one out. I sparked it up and lumbered towards hot pit. The front felt heavy and did not want to stay balanced for me at a walking pace. What am I getting myself into? I do not like this so far. I make it to hot pit and roll on the throttle and ROAR down that lane. OMFG. WOW this is fairly loud.

I roll out onto the track and roll around for a lap to understand what it is going to give me for feed back. Street tire pressures, soft suspension, big and bulbus feeling, clutch releases really far out and engagement and disengagement is in about 1/2" of lever travel, the brakes were some what soft at slow speeds but got better once they heated up. OK I know what to somewhat expect. I knew I was not going to hammering it in the turns too much.

At about the 2 lap I got a better feel for it and romped on it down the straight and tuck in behind the shield. WHY are my ears taking a beating? BTW I have 33 db deadening ear plugs in. It feel like someone has cupped their hands and slapping my ears at 10,000-11,000 time per min. I know this is a twin but HOLLY HELL. I cannot take it the rest of the straightaway. I have to bring my head up above the wind shield to capture that wind, buffeting and wind noise to somewhat soften this beating. WHO the hell rides these things like this? I cranked around the rest of the session getting more and more familiar with the bike and dragging knees. A smile begins to form.

Checkered flag comes out and I am full of thanks for Scott flagging. If I could stop on the track I would have kissed him. My ears are ringing from the twin punishment. 1 piston per ear full of percussion torture. Are they bleeding? I think I would rather stand next to a jumbo jet at take off or listen to U2 for 1 song!

I pull in and shut off the bike. I get off the bike and put my hands on either side of my helmet and bend over to try and ease what I just went thru. I look into the garage and see Gogo, Cheese and Nick laughing their A$$ off. It is not funny, my ears are killing me. They told me that they knew exactly where I was on the track. I don't know if it was the bike they could hear or my screaming like a little girl in the helmet to stop the agony.

THANKS A LOT NICK!!

It was actually a nice handling ride. Just need some suspension adjustment and a little bit more ride height. It is a little low. Oh AND by the way here you go http://www.dynamat.com Later in life you will appreciate it.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by nt650hawk; 08-11-10 at 01:36 PM.
    Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Re: Why are my ears still ringing???

Haha, the second I saw buell and ears ringing I knew whos bike it was.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    Haha, the second I saw buell and ears ringing I knew whos bike it was.

Followed him on that bike for few laps last year. Couldn't even hear my open muzzy at full song with that thing in front of me.

Last edited by Jaynnus; 08-11-10 at 01:53 PM.

MSF RiderCoach
    MSF Dirt Bike School Coach

Quote Originally Posted by 5TOEZ View Post
    #5 Hangout w/Jaynnus................
    she rides like the wind
    & smells good too.
    PKism: you don't count, you're just a guy with indoor plumbing

When I saw ears ringing I immediately thought Nick. When I saw the word "Buell" it was confirmed

I still have no idea why he keeps his bike that loud...

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (HTC EVO "DROID" : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Because its AWESOME! I would love to rip that around the track.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Loud and Buell= dead give-away. Way to go nick!

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

I'll sell you mine

Had lunch with Nick today. He said even HE didn't realize how loud it was until he heard you rocking it down the front straight....!

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Yeah I heard it closing in fast to pass then saw brake lights in 1a.. Hey thats Nicks bike....LOL!!!

Last edited by solgirl; 08-11-10 at 04:09 PM.

Vicki

I feel oddly comfortable on nicks bike...more so than any bike i've ridden besides my own and my old cbr...having the front wheel not touch the ground while shifting 1-2-3 doesn't hurt either. I will say my ear plugs do nothing to stop the sound.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Posting Freak

Thanks for the report Gino, got it dyno tuned today and its 10 times better and much, much smoother. I need to have someone go through the suspension with me, it has the stock Showa stuff front and rear. The clutch? well, I only use it getting moving... I should have let you know that it likes to be up/down shifted without the clutch. Definitely my ugly biatch though, glad everything but your ears enjoyed it.

Nick