Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Need Studded Ice/Snow/Offroad tires?

Lifer

Re: Need Studded Ice/Snow/Offroad tires?

I'm watching out of legitimate curiosity. I thought friction spikes were crap on ice; that you needed a screw head for the directional traction we all look for ice riding.
    Meanwhile I thought you could use an ice type screw in the woods, but you should expect it to wear fast.
    Right tool for the job, all that.

Island man, have you ridden these spikes on the ice? Have you ridden an ice screw? How do they compare?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by carsick View Post
    Curse you enablers. Now I need another bike with friction spikes, so I don't have to change over.
    My hero posts.

I don't think you own a rotary yet.

Don't question me. Is a rotary sled close enough?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Lifer

Whatever you buy, make sure you have a buddy bike to go with it.

rrrright down by da beach island boyeee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    I'm not sure what I'm missing here, the OP is looking for someone that may be looking for tires, clearly states they are trail/snow/some ice...agreed with a reply in the very beginning of this thread stating these were not ice tires...and you all bark at him and give him shit because they are not pure ice tires and will suck on ice? Who's the fucking idiot here?
    Surprised by the comments here and who is posting them
    glad someone else stated what I presumed was obvious

08 Triumph Daytona 675, Jet Black w/ Gold
    dirty bike: 2015 KTM 250 XC-F

Curse you enablers. Now I need another bike with friction spikes, so I don't have to change over.
    You just need a second set of wheels.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I'm watching out of legitimate curiosity. I thought friction spikes were crap on ice; that you needed a screw head for the directional traction we all look for ice riding.
    Meanwhile I thought you could use an ice type screw in the woods, but you should expect it to wear fast.
    Right tool for the job, all that.

Island man, have you ridden these spikes on the ice? Have you ridden an ice screw? How do they compare?
    Friction spikes aren't necessarily crap on ice, but you can't go doing the old round and round on them, you'll rip them right out. Ice screws on regular knobs do an ok job in the woods. But, you've either gotta run them in with 5200, or ride them like an old lady or you'll rip them out (see the theme?).
    Screws do wear a little faster on the rocks, as they aren't made of carbide. Netra doesn't allow screws because their winter race is in ct on public lands, and they don't want screws getting spit out where they could later end up in horses feet (no shit, this is what I've been told) where if a stud/spike gets spit out, "there isn't a sharp pointy end", not even including a carbide tip which may have one side worn clean down from spinning it up in the rocks.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

it's funny how some of you start off bashing these tires, but then when you talk about options for riding on a range of surfaces, you're basically saying something like these is the way to go..

Quote Originally Posted by island boyeee View Post
    I am planning to place an order for 2 sets of tires from k3offroad.com. They told me I can get 10-15% off if I order at least 4 sets, so I'm hoping to find at least 2 more people looking for tires.

If interested, please let me know!
    ^OP wants other people to help him reduce cost(awesome!)
    correct, these are MORE for all purpose winter riding, which is what I'm looking to do. Their X type will do well on ice, but it's obviously not "the best zomg ice tire ever"...

I intend to ride sand pits/trails/ice/whatever, so I can't rely on one tire that that will be the best at everything.
    ^OP makes a claim that, it appears, is not supported by anyone here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz View Post
    Who told you that?
    ^OP doesn't answer.

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    I'm not sure what I'm missing here, the OP is looking for someone that may be looking for tires, clearly states they are trail/snow/some ice...agreed with a reply in the very beginning of this thread stating these were not ice tires...and you all bark at him and give him shit because they are not pure ice tires and will suck on ice? Who's the fucking idiot here?
    Surprised by the comments here and who is posting them
    I'm not really trying to bash the dude(although he comes off quite defensive), but he's telling other people that if they want to ride ice, they should group buy with him so he can save money on something he's already decided to buy. Without the (perhaps excessive, as is the way of winter time motorcycle forums) counter information that the tires he is buying may not "do well on ice," since that isn't what they're made for, it's reasonable to think another uninformed rider wanting to get into ice riding might think "wow these are $100 less than Fredettes and I can get out on the ice with all my buddies!" Only to find out on their first trip out that they aren't quite the "deal" they thought they were.

I'm willing to guess that former-MX-racer imbeek may have had better success than most with spikes...since the bike not hooking up probably doesn't bother him a ton. If a friend of mine told me he was going to get these for ice...I'd tell him not to waste his money. Same as if a friend said they were going to buy a $300 set of high end sport touring tires to road race in the rain, as opposed to a $400 set of dedicated rain tires.

it's funny how some of you start off bashing these tires, but then when you talk about options for riding on a range of surfaces, you're basically saying something like these is the way to go..

I called you a fucking idiot for because you told jc he didn't know what he was talking about.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

^OP wants other people to help him reduce cost(awesome!)

^OP makes a claim that, it appears, is not supported by anyone here.

^OP doesn't answer.

I'm not really trying to bash the dude(although he comes off quite defensive), but he's telling other people that if they want to ride ice, they should group buy with him so he can save money on something he's already decided to buy. Without the (perhaps excessive, as is the way of winter time motorcycle forums) counter information that the tires he is buying may not "do well on ice," since that isn't what they're made for, it's reasonable to think another uninformed rider wanting to get into ice riding might think "wow these are $100 less than Fredettes and I can get out on the ice with all my buddies!" Only to find out on their first trip out that they aren't quite the "deal" they thought they were.

I'm willing to guess that former-MX-racer imbeek may have had better success than most with spikes...since the bike not hooking up probably doesn't bother him a ton. If a friend of mine told me he was going to get these for ice...I'd tell him not to waste his money. Same as if a friend said they were going to buy a $300 set of high end sport touring tires to road race in the rain, as opposed to a $400 set of dedicated rain tires.
    I still didn't say you should buy these for ice riding. I said they will do "well", in relation to the "R" type, which has shorter studs. I figured common sense would have allowed people to infer that. Yes I heard it from the company, and agree based on my review. Ice traction seems to directly relate to the length of spikes.... who woulda thunk. Other than that, I really don't care to respond to you since you aren't contributing anything usefull to a thread where I already BLATANTLY stated that these are not dedicated to ice riding, but rather more dedicatd as an "all winter" tire.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    I called you a fucking idiot for because you told jc he didn't know what he was talking about.
    I'll confer with my people and let your people know if we care or not.

Lifer

(see the theme?)
    Yup, right tool for the job. Wrong tool isn't going to be as effective and, in this case, may very well wear out prematurely when used that way.

Another note, for those interested. The shorter the ice screw, the worse it is going to handle recreational riding with your buds. As the ice wears it gets chipped. Short screws, even AMA type ice screws, will float on the chips and grip will be degraded very fast. You want a long screw to handle the chips and barely-plowed ice you find riding recreationally. If you are racing they clean the ice and the AMAs have grip.

Screw count matters too. Rode a bike last year that had tires setup by some guy who charged like $80/tire.. but they were terrible. Not enough screws and the tires had very, very little grip on anything other than virgin ice. It just wasn't fun.

Then you can go the other way and get a monster sized screw like a Marcell "cheater" screw. These will offer insane grip.

Woody and I were just talking about this last weekend. He suggested that the best setup would be a Marcell and a Fredette "canadian" rear. Let you rail the front and still have the rear cut loose in the corners. Although I don't think my canadian fronts slide that much.

You have an awesome attitude. I hope these tires work out great for all the riding you're gonna do with them.

Lifer

I said they will do "well", in relation to the "R" type, which has shorter studs.
    Have you tried these on the ice? Do you know anyone that has?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

You just need a second set of wheels.
    How would you know? Have you ever ridden a second set of wheels? I don't care what anybody here says, I'm buying another bike.

full disclosure: I already have so many wheels I don't know where they are or what fits what. I need another bike to keep the wheels on so they don't get misplaced.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Lifer

I'm with Kurtz. I think you're going to be disappointed with how those tires handle ice riding.
    Either that or your expectations are way, way lower than the rest of us.

full disclosure: I already have so many wheels I don't know where they are or what fits what. I need another bike to keep the wheels on so they don't get misplaced.
    I'm going to start getting all my life advice from you.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

How would you know? Have you ever ridden a second set of wheels? I don't care what anybody here says, I'm buying another bike.

I do have a second set of wheels. And I've been too lazy to mount up either the spikes or the screws, let alone tear into my bike in my unheated garage. My people tell me to wait until it gets warmer.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Lifer

There is an email newsletter. Ask to be on the mailing list.

For some reason everyone who takes advice from me ends up drunk... I can't figure out why.

Careful what you ask for, you just might get it. Also the corollary, you get what you pay for.

I do have a second set of wheels.
    I was joking.I may have a third or fourth set. I have a mint rear wheel that I've misplaced.

There is an email newsletter. Ask to be on the mailing list.
    First rule of bike club, never talk about bike club.

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    For some reason everyone who takes advice from me ends up drunk... I can't figure out why.
    I thought they ended up crippled.

I may be n+1 on bikes tomorrow afternoon . Don't hate me because I'm bountiful.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I'm with Kurtz. I think you're going to be disappointed with how those tires handle ice riding.
    Either that or your expectations are way, way lower than the rest of us.
    they're that high, since, ONCE AGAIN, I don't really plan to do much, if any, ice riding with them. I would like to, and if it happens I certainly don't expect to flying around. But since I won't have to swap tires between riding trails, sand pits, and then going to ice, I'll make do and be happy enough.

I need to interrupt this thread to point out how awesome ice riding is.

Need Studded Ice/Snow/Offroad tires?-6086f58c95f9ef58a417d49635a772a9-jpg

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Damn. I need some cheaper tires so I can do that. Or faster, I could go faster.

Damn. I need some cheaper tires so I can do that. Or faster, I could go faster.
    Hahaaa! You're killin it in this thread!

Paul_E_D

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast