Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Need input on different leather jackets...

Need input on different leather jackets...

So I was able to sell my Spidi jacket so I have enough funds now to look for a new jacket. I am having a hard time deciding between a few jackets and before I start driving around to different locations to try them on, I figured I would see if you fools have had experience with them. Here are the ones that I am contemplating:

1. Alpinestars GP-R Leather Jacket - $425

Randomly came across this jacket when I was looking at some Ducati and Dainese jackets and after watching the video on it via Revzilla, this jacket may be what I am looking for. It is the lowest priced jacket that I am looking at too.

2. Dainese Alien Leather Jacket - $699

Love the clean look of this jacket as well as the technology behind it. I watched the video on Revzilla on this jacket and its pretty killer. Expensive jacket but may be worth it.

3. Dainese Racing Leather Jacket - $599

Absolutely love the look of it...I am not sure though if this comes in a perforated version so that may be a deciding factor since this would be a spring/summer/fall jacket.

4. Ducati Corse Leather Jacket - $749

I tried on an 2009 or was it 2010 version of this jacket and it fit well and liked the fact that it had a liner for the colder riding season but feel like I am paying a lot for the Ducati brand name. It is a Dainese so the make is fantastic.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by virtualbong; 03-30-11 at 12:54 PM.

Re: Need input on different leather jackets...

I'm not sure if it's the same model, but I was up at cycles128 over the weekend for the Diavel thing and they were having a sale on Ducati leathers. They had a similar one to the pic you posted for somewhere around $400-$500.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Qube View Post
    I'm not sure if it's the same model, but I was up at cycles128 over the weekend for the Diavel thing and they were having a sale on Ducati leathers. They had a similar one to the pic you posted for somewhere around $400-$500.
    It was $499 and it was the one I tried on. I like the 2011 colors more but I may fall back on that one from Cycles 128 if everything else falls through.

If you like the racing jacket but want something in perf, check out the Dainese Santa Monica jacket. Very similar in cut and style, just in perf.

USCRA #555 - Formula CB
    http://jro555.tumblr.com/

Lifer

All nice jackets. I don't have experience with any of them. Alpinestars seems to have mixed quality - some stuff is top notch and some is not. As for the Ducati jacket, it's beautiful. But, what if in a year or two you decide to get a BMW S1000RR or an Aprilia? I think having motorcycle brand name is not practical. For such an expensive jacket that you may want to wear for a long time I would go with a Dainese. I have this one http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/d...leather-jacket which is mostly for temps above 55 degrees

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

My 2 cents. White leather looks awesome until it gets dirty from riding and then its really hard to get it new clean again.

Quote Originally Posted by -jro- View Post
    If you like the racing jacket but want something in perf, check out the Dainese Santa Monica jacket. Very similar in cut and style, just in perf.

Those are really nice, but hot damn...they're $799! I think I am leaning towards the Alien or Racing but would love to try on the A*s just to see how it feels and looks in person.

Quote Originally Posted by virtualbong View Post
    Those are really nice, but hot damn...they're $799! I think I am leaning towards the Alien or Racing but would love to try on the A*s just to see how it feels and looks in person.
    What type of riding, or is this posing only? (Track??)

Personally I have found leather to suck for new england street riding.

I am either way too hot, freezing my ass off, wet, etc. Unless it is 69-72 and sunny out I wear textile and have been much more comfortable.

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Quote Originally Posted by Manny View Post
    What type of riding, or is this posing only? (Track??)

Personally I have found leather to suck for new england street riding.

I am either way too hot, freezing my ass off, wet, etc. Unless it is 69-72 and sunny out I wear textile and have been much more comfortable.

In the beginning it will be for street riding, but I do intend to purchase the leather pants that go with the jacket to use on the track. Right now, I have my A*s 2-piece that I will use for the track, but I would like to save up for the matching leather pants for whatever jacket I get.

I am not a fan of textile...I just don't believe it will protect me if as well as leathers if I end up going down on the highway or something.

If you are up for a Southern MA. ride, go to Vanson leathers and try on their jackets.

Lifer

I love my Dainese. I think they are definitely worth the investment.

If you don't mind a jacket that's a bit more understated (ie, basic black), take a look at Fox Creek Leather. I have one of their jackets and love it. Absolutely top-notch quality, made in the USA, lifetime warranty, etc, yet much more affordable than Vanson or Dainese. Fox Creek also uses thicker leather than most -- these are some seriously tough jackets (yes, I've crash-tested mine, and it held up perfectly aside from some scuffs -- and those go away when you oil the leather).

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

try FURYGAN... a french company, quality is on par with Dainese. check them out. You can check out the PDF file on this site for the catalog.

http://vanellisltd.com/products.html

2010 Kawasaki Z1000

I am really liking the Dainese ones but I need to try it on to see if I actually like the feel and look in person, so I'll probably be dropping by Seacoast to check out the look. I bet it will be even tougher to decide AFTER I've tried them on! hahaha.