Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Saturday, July 31st COD Ride!

Re: Saturday, July 31st COD Ride!

I just got home from the hospital, and the verdict is two broken bones in my hand. They are non-displaced so it's not that bad. I'm wearing a splint right now which will be replaced with a cast when the swelling comes down.

There's certainly plenty to learn from this accident for me, hopefully making me a better rider. It has certainly reinforced the importance of gear in my mind, considering I'd be missing a lot of skin right now.

Thanks to everyone for your help and encouragement afterward. I too would like to apologize for putting a damper on the ride and delaying lunch and the other festivities at Seacoast for the group!

Glad to hear you are well Rob.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

CBR Airlines Flight 1000 Dragginazz's Avatar

Glad you are ok Lars! Heal quickly!

SPEED SAFELY!

Good ride today.

Rob and John....I took many pictures of the corner and the road surface. If you need them, contact me. Very glad everyone is ok !

Terry
    2015 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Tour

Hey I just read this is everybody ok?

Ok now I read the whole thread. Sorry guys but very glad no one was seriously injured. Heal up.

Perfect weather, and a great group of early risers / riders showing up this morning. Thanks for leading Dave and I'm glad to learn that, considering the circumstances and other possible outcomes, everyone is okay.

No poutine for me, but some of the gang really liked that shit!

Attachment 21647 Attachment 21648

And that breakfast spot will be a definite repeat on an upcoming ride.

Attachment 21649

The lemonade stop was excellent; man did their eyes light up when we pulled over. The dad was cool too, and even let a few of us in the house for a quick pit stop.

Attachment 21650 Attachment 21651 Attachment 21652 Attachment 21653

And a surprise late guest appearance from Jimmy 2 Shots.

Attachment 21654

And here is Dave wiring up ("Ah, Sam - get the hell over here; I need help ..... Which one is my comm? Which is my radar? Which is my GPS? Which way are we going?") prior to the last leg to Seacoast.

Attachment 21655

Rockin' the West Coast... Femmekat's Avatar

So glad you are ok Rob! We were so worried.....

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    I dunno, you dress too fashionably to be a communist
    LRRS Novice #629
    I ride/drive:
    2000 Yamaha R6
    1996 F-350 4x4 diesel truck
    and anything else with serious hp

364 Beers Shy of a Liter Trajiks9's Avatar

Wow what another fantastic day for a ride. Chilly ride early a.m. but, quickly warmed up by mid morning. Couldn't of ask for better weather! Dave, Thanks again for leading another legendary ride. What a great feeling to ride with a group of people who are so commited to the sport of riding, as well as looking out for their fellow riders in the time of need.
    Rob and Jon glad to hear you guys are O.k., home, and relaxing.
    -Heal up quick gods speed.

🇯🇵 2001 Honda CBR 929RR R.I.P
    🇯🇵 2009 Honda CRF 250X
    🇯🇵 2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX636R
    🇦🇹 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure-S

I'm very happy Cheese and John came out of this incident with what they did. It might have been a lot worse. With the collective efforts of our great group of riders coming to the aid and helping out where needed, reinforces the common bond we all share, and that's the love of riding!

See you Tuesday CHeese?

The accident: Over a blind hill, followed by a down hill right hand turn. Could it have been any worse? I remember seeing very little space in the road ahead, getting on the brakes hard and realizing it wasn't going to be enough (that's my fault for not leaving enough space John, not yours). The last thing I wanted to do was target fixate and risk hitting John so I picked what looked to be a safer path left into the yard between a rock and tree. I must have misjudged the lean angle required to miss the rock or maybe avoiding 2 target fixations in seconds was too much for my brain to process. Either way, I didn't miss the rock and it launched me good.

Medical update: I'm not sure why they wanted hip and pelvis x-rays as I never hit there or ever complained about pain in that area. Maybe it's just a typical motorcycle accident injury and they wanted to cover themselves. Lawrence General left me a voice-mail last night basically stating that the x-rays they took could not be recovered and I was welcome to come in for another set. Um, no thanks, I'm fine.

I've got a bruise on my left thigh and a small rash on my right knee, that's it. Last night when I went to bed I thought, "well, if I got whip lash it'll show up in the morning." This morning I'm typing this with 95% motion in my neck in all directions. Just a slight tenderness when I reach the 'stops' so to speak. Not bad for a 'Superman' flight into a tuck and roll landing.

The bruise on my left thigh is on top of the quad muscle so it hurts a bit if I move it full motion (mostly doing stairs). I'm sure once the swelling goes down that will be back to normal as well.

Now that things have slowed down in my head, I'd like to say a few more words to my NESR friends.

John - Sorry about your hand and I hope it heals up soon. I've got two prescriptions for pain medications that I didn't fill because I'm not much of a drug guy. If you are and run low, let me know.

Sam - Funny what you remember after an event like this. Normally I keep my comm radio in my tank bag but this time it was in my jacket. Although I got disconnected from the push-to-talk switch which remained on the bike, I was still able to receive transmissions. I remember hearing your call, "Cheese is down." I think I might even have laughed for a second thinking, "aw $hit, that's me?"

Vicky - Sam is right, you do look good in leathers. Especially when you're straddling me to block the sun. It was very much appreciated that you thought to keep the sun out of my face while I waited for the EMTs.

Mark - I remember hearing your voice as they were cutting my jeans into paper dolls. "Don't cut his boots, we can just take them off."

Dave - I didn't witness any of your efforts but I know you are responsible for transporting my bike to Seacoast. You're a great leader and your attention to making sure all is covered before continuing on is just 1 of many reasons I feel safe in the pack behind you. I'm still IN and looking forward to the West Virginia trip on the Gixxah!

Kenn - Your calls and texts to check on my status were appreciated. Well, the nurses scolded me a few times for using my cell phone in the hospital but what else am I supposed to do lying there waiting 3+ hours for them to decide whether they can release me without x-rays results?

Mike - Thanks for emailing the pictures of the scene. It's nice to be able to reconstruct what went wrong and determine where bruises came from. I'm thinking the bruise on my left thigh probably came from left bar and/or the left mirror which I apparently took with me during my 'Superman' take-off

I'll bet there were a bunch of other NESR members that stuck around to help after I departed on my ambulance ride (bumpy roads on a back board while strapped so tight I couldn't relieve the charlie horse in my left leg). Thanks to all of you. I will be there for you if you ever need the same favors.

Last edited by Cheese; 08-03-10 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Can't tell my left from right after a get off

well, now that I know that everyone is ok, i can make a joke...

Jeezus Rob... Can't you keep a bike shiny at all? I hope that the 848 faired as well as you did, but if not it would make a great track/race bike for someone.

John, sorry to hear about your hand, it sucks when something like this happens, let alone so far from home. Good luck with healing up and from the looks of the pictures, the Hyper looked pretty good. Just learn from your accident and thank your insurance company when all is said and done...

Quote Originally Posted by reiobard View Post
    Jeezus Rob... Can't you keep a bike shiny at all?
    I buffed it on dead grass. Isn't that how one makes it shiny?

I should talk to the homeowner about an irrigation system so there will be softer grass for the next rider that wants a buffing.

Last edited by Cheese; 08-01-10 at 06:48 AM.

Just some Cell Phone pics from the day...

I wish I had noticed the label on the newspaper box before I planned my escape route. Might have clued me in that "The Rock" was harder to negotiate than I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Ćheese View Post
    I wish I had noticed the label on the newspaper box before I planned my escape route. Might have clued me in that "The Rock" was harder to negotiate than I thought.

Excellent....
    ....there's only so much a home owner can do!

(BTW...they were all really nice too!)

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Sure View Post
    No poutine for me, but some of the gang really liked that shit!

Attachment 21647 Attachment 21648

And here is Dave wiring up ("Ah, Sam - get the hell over here; I need help ..... Which one is my comm? Which is my radar? Which is my GPS? Which way are we going?") prior to the last leg to Seacoast.

Attachment 21655
    I got an email from Chez Vachon!

Hello Dave,

Thank you for coming in today! I hope everything was good and that you had a great ride.

Jessica
    Chez Vachon
    That was nice of them!!! They really had it working...!

and,

I spent some quality time with zip ties and super glue and velcro when I got home. It should now only take me 22 minutes to get ready...!

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

I Dance With Will

damn man don't you know how to ride?

"fuckit!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kham View Post
    damn man don't you know how to ride?
    Nah, I just putt putt along and stop at lemonade stands.

Quote Originally Posted by Ćheese View Post
    Nah, I just putt putt along and stop at lemonade stands.
    maybe the kid laced the lemonade with something

2012 Tiger 800 XC

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (HTC EVO "DROID" : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

Glad you're ok. As long as there's nothing wrong with the forks the only major damage I saw was the bent front wheel and a very small chip on front left if the tank. Everything else seemed to be cosmetic

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    Wirelessly posted (HTC EVO "DROID" : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

Glad you're ok. As long as there's nothing wrong with the forks the only major damage I saw was the bent front wheel and a very small chip on front left if the tank. Everything else seemed to be cosmetic
    ...and guess what?

He has race plastic for it already....

Muhammad Ali.

John, I hope your hand heals up fast. I am so glad that the gear you were wearing took most of the brunt of the crash.

Rob, you'll do anything to get the attention of a hot lady wearing leather.
    I would have thought it was impossible to get V to be your personal umbrella girl but I have to say, "You Sir, are the master!!" I'll bet the nurses were fighting over you and thats why it took so long to get out of the hospital.

Dave, thank you so very much for leading.
    I learn something new everytime I go out on these rides. I imagine some of our rides can get quiet a bit stressful sometimes but you never seem to let it phase you. (Except when someone shows up late without a full tank....)

Sam

Rob I'm just glad to hear that your ok man. Scared the shi+3 out of me when I first started reading. And fwiw I've heard that a common injury when going over the bars is to damage your pelvis/ lower abs, or even rupture your bladder on the bars, that's probably why they were so concerned. Good luck with the bike let me know if you need help wrenching.

And John, I don't think we've met yet, but I'm glad to hear your relatively ok as well. Rest up that hand keep it elevated. What did you break specifically? Carpals, tarsals?

Last edited by DaveZX6r; 08-03-10 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveZX6r View Post
    And John, I don't think we've met yet, but I'm glad to hear your relatively ok as well. Rest up that hand keep it elevated. What did you break specifically? Carpals, tarsals?
    Metacarpals. One at the Base of the thumb, and the other right underneath the knuckle of my index finger. I'm not really in any pain, and the swelling has subsided. I should have a cast put on by tomorrow.

Hopefully it's not "thee" hand used to do all the dirty work! :

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast