Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 16 of 40 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252636 ... LastLast

Burlington Bike Night (Every Tuesday from 5:30-8pm)

Re: Burlington Bike Night (Every Tuesday from 5:30-8pm)

Quote Originally Posted by Baggey22 View Post
    I don't care! I demand a write up! Someone else can do it.

Fine. Here's the write-up:

It was hot out. A bunch of bikes showed up. We ate pizza. A bunch more bikes showed up. Foster told me about Adam's incident. Parker arrived late with a girl riding pillion. Mike (chiwawa444) showed up for the first time in centuries (in his Porsche because his shoulder is hurt) and showed Justin and me all the work he's done to the car. John showed up and handed out nametags. Parker shirked his duties and made Foster and Huffer move cones and tell people to move their bikes (next time you guys should tell him to do his own damn job and embarrass him in front of his girl). The usual crew of squids showed up in shorts and t-shirts. Parker left early with the girl still riding pillion. The squids announced their departure (in two different groups) by loudly revving their engines and annoying everyone. Parker needs to talk to them next week if he's not too busy trying to impress a girl.

No creemee run last night.

--mark

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by NobodySpecific View Post
    I missed this weeks Bike Night and will be missing next week as well I might try to pop in before 6 next week, but I won't be able to stay for long. Who schedules a meeting from 7-8:30PM?
    Crazy people schedule meetings at 7pm-8:30pm? Unless they are picking up my bar tab ... :-D

Hey... Two friends of mine on metric cruisers showed up last night, I hope they were welcomed by an official BTVBN name tagger. If not, I will punch Parker in the "arm"...really hard.

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    Foster told me about Adam's incident.
    Incident?

Parker needs to talk to them next week if he's not too busy trying to impress a girl.

Yeah, it was kind of uncomfortable watching Parker get all gushy and gooey. And even more uncomfortable when they announced that they were leaving early so they could "go to bed".

Mark forgot to mention something in his write up. Right before he left, he noticed this enormous framing nail buried in his rear tire. Luckily, it did not go all the way through.

Parker needs to talk to them next week if he's not too busy trying to impress a girl.

Come on Parker I went over to say hi to people too cause no one else was doing it

Wow, big nail in your tire Mark.

I took a round-about way home and ended up on 127N. Just as I passed the creemee stand, the entire milton crew rolled up behind me. No idea where they came from.

Tommy R.
    '06 GSXR 1000
    '03 FZ1

Maybe they're really Milton Ninjas

2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Street, 2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400 - track

The XT is out of commission for a few weeks longer The cam caps may have had one of the holes heli-coiled before, because the threads just came out completely. I'm not happy right now. I just want to ride the damn bike again after putting all that money into it for maintenance. Mark said he thinks it can be fixed, but I've never used a heli-coil before so I have no idea. I don't think I have the tools for this job either. Fuck.

'06 Triumph Sprint ST ABS
    '90 Yamaha XT350

I'm sure that yesterdayze will chime in soon but I bet he'd be willing to walk you through running a slightly oversized tap through there. Then it's just a trip to the hardware store for a $.80 bolt and you're golden.

Quote Originally Posted by catamount View Post
    I'm sure that yesterdayze will chime in soon but I bet he'd be willing to walk you through running a slightly oversized tap through there. Then it's just a trip to the hardware store for a $.80 bolt and you're golden.
    I already offered up my taps, they're gonna try a new heli-coil first.

sounds like its getting squiddy up there....

Parker needs to get on his shoe box...it's a tough job, but that's part of the missing right? They gotta show up without gear to get educated on wearing it- after that it's their own decision.

Carpe Diem
    '10 Yamaha R6-Race-
    '05 Aprilia Tuono Racing -Street-
    #46, Expert, CVMA -cvmaracing.com-

The XT is out of commission for a few weeks longer The cam caps may have had one of the holes heli-coiled before, because the threads just came out completely. I'm not happy right now. I just want to ride the damn bike again after putting all that money into it for maintenance. Mark said he thinks it can be fixed, but I've never used a heli-coil before so I have no idea. I don't think I have the tools for this job either. Fuck.
    I have new heli coils and all that if you need them. Remember you can't just use any old tap to make the threads for the heli coil. They are often odd/half sizes.

Like Catamount mention, oversizing is the quick and easy way. In a lot of places though there just isn't enough room though or if there is you end up having to drill out where the bolt goes through some and can wonk up sealing surfaces. Cam caps usually have enough room though you do want to be really careful of the bearing surface and how close to it you come and I have seen a lot that the whole passes pretty close on the bottom of the cap. The oversized bolt has to be the correct grade for cam caps too. You don't want to use a low grade bolt.

If the heli coil backed out you can put a new one in. Just use some of the red high temp permanent loctite. If the heli coil came out without backing out, eg took the threads out that held it in then your best bet is to use a quick-sert. Similair to a heli coil but they have a solid wall so they are thicker and will take up that space from loosing the oversized threads. You can get them as press in or screw in. You still want to use loctite but those puppies stay put once you get them in. They don't fall out.

Obviously this isn't the size you need, but for reference: Quick-Serts

Do the press-in quick serts work with metal? They list wood and plastic. I've heard they work well but I haven't actually installed one. Not sure which type people use.

Tommy R.
    '06 GSXR 1000
    '03 FZ1

Quote Originally Posted by yesterdayze View Post
    I have new heli coils and all that if you need them. Remember you can't just use any old tap to make the threads for the heli coil. They are often odd/half sizes.

Like Catamount mention, oversizing is the quick and easy way. In a lot of places though there just isn't enough room though or if there is you end up having to drill out where the bolt goes through some and can wonk up sealing surfaces. Cam caps usually have enough room though you do want to be really careful of the bearing surface and how close to it you come and I have seen a lot that the whole passes pretty close on the bottom of the cap. The oversized bolt has to be the correct grade for cam caps too. You don't want to use a low grade bolt.

If the heli coil backed out you can put a new one in. Just use some of the red high temp permanent loctite. If the heli coil came out without backing out, eg took the threads out that held it in then your best bet is to use a quick-sert. Similair to a heli coil but they have a solid wall so they are thicker and will take up that space from loosing the oversized threads. You can get them as press in or screw in. You still want to use loctite but those puppies stay put once you get them in. They don't fall out.

Obviously this isn't the size you need, but for reference: Quick-Serts

Once I get everything apart I will talk to you more so that we can actually look at what I'm working with. Good point about the bolts. I snapped one of the original ones so I bought all new ones, but I'm not sure how tough they are. I'll talk to roadside when the jet that I ordered comes in.

'90 Yamaha XT350

I don't know that the cam cap bolts need to be especially heavy duty. They don't get torqued very tight and don't exactly have a lot of tension placed on them. I expect Grade 8 hardware is overkill there (and would just end up destroying the head casting).

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe

Quote Originally Posted by korndogg View Post
    Do the press-in quick serts work with metal? They list wood and plastic. I've heard they work well but I haven't actually installed one. Not sure which type people use.
    There are press in certs for aluminum and other soft metals. I would avoid them on hard or cast metals. For those use the quick-serts that are threaded on the outside.

On cam bolts Mark is right, you don't go terribly tight. That said it is still not a bad thing to use high grade bolts because the cam can at times put a lot of strain on low grade bolts and the constant heating and cooling can affect some cheap bolts that you would find at your local hardware store; so the high grade isn't needed to tighten them, but can be needed to keep things from having problems later down the road. I have a box of motorcycle specific engine bolts if you want to look through it. As long as you actually use a torque wrench you shouldn't have any concerns about ruining things. I never use a torque wrench unless I am working on the inside of an engine.... that is one place it is better to put aside pride and use the stupid click happy wrench.

Quote Originally Posted by yesterdayze View Post
    There are press in certs for aluminum and other soft metals. I would avoid them on hard or cast metals. For those use the quick-serts that are threaded on the outside.

On cam bolts Mark is right, you don't go terribly tight. That said it is still not a bad thing to use high grade bolts because the cam can at times put a lot of strain on low grade bolts and the constant heating and cooling can affect some cheap bolts that you would find at your local hardware store; so the high grade isn't needed to tighten them, but can be needed to keep things from having problems later down the road. I have a box of motorcycle specific engine bolts if you want to look through it. As long as you actually use a torque wrench you shouldn't have any concerns about ruining things. I never use a torque wrench unless I am working on the inside of an engine.... that is one place it is better to put aside pride and use the stupid click happy wrench.
    I have been using a torque wrench, though it only goes to 200 in-lbs when the spec is 22 ft-lbs, but it is good enough. Since I need some new bolts again anyway, I'll just go get some higher rated ones, or even the factory bolts (depending on cost). There are definitely a lot of stresses, and I don't want these to fail.

Edit: Anybody seen my dunce cap? Anybody want to make me one? Apparently I read the wrong box in the manual for the torque spec. I was corrected in that the torque spec is 7.2 ft-lbs (~86 in-lbs). No wonder I was snapping bolts like candy. Who let me near tools?

Last edited by NobodySpecific; 07-07-11 at 02:19 PM.
    '90 Yamaha XT350

Edit: Anybody seen my dunce cap? Anybody want to make me one? Apparently I read the wrong box in the manual for the torque spec. I was corrected in that the torque spec is 7.2 ft-lbs (~86 in-lbs). No wonder I was snapping bolts like candy. Who let me near tools?

That makes sense.

Also keep in mind that sometimes manufacturers use single-use bolts that are designed to stretch a certain amount when torqued to the correct spec and therefore hold the parts under tension. Upon disassembly, those bolts should be discarded and new ones used for reassembly. Don't know if that's what Yamaha did with the XT350 cam bolts, but it wouldn't surprise me.

--mark

Something wrong, officer? Huffer's Avatar

My first time on T - Road

Went for a quick trip (all frick'in day) over to Tracy Road today with some friends. First time I've been there. Had a great time. Ran into some other folks from Bike Night on the Ferry over. Here's a couple of shots.

2020 Kawasaki Ninja 400
    2019 Ducati Monster 821
    2019 Triumph Bobber 1200
    2016 WR450F - Everywhere else ;-)

Who did you guys run into on the ferry?

Tommy R.
    '06 GSXR 1000
    '03 FZ1

Tim Darcy, Jarrel, and his wife. We did a rip with them on T** Road too!

Anybody want a Google+ invite? I need email addresses.

'90 Yamaha XT350

Re: My first time on T - Road

Quote Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
    Went for a quick trip (all frick'in day) over to Tracy Road today with some friends. First time I've been there. Had a great time. Ran into some other folks from Bike Night on the Ferry over. Here's a couple of shots.
    Nice ... Great... where are the action shots of Huffer ??!?

Re: My first time on T - Road

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCVermont View Post
    Nice ... Great... where are the action shots of Huffer ??!?
    I brought my girlfriend and becky didn't feel like driving 2.5 hours in her car just to take pictures of us...lol

GT2

What night is Burlington BIKE NIGHT?!?!?!?!?!

TUESDAY...!!!!!!!!!!

Anybody want a Google+ invite? I need email addresses.

If anyone would like some infor on Google + feel free to check it out here:
    https://market.android.com/details?i...pps.plus&hl=en

I'll take one please

GT2

What night is Burlington BIKE NIGHT?!?!?!?!?!

TUESDAY...!!!!!!!!!!