Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

2014 AMA schedule

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Re: 2014 AMA schedule

If you're gonna allow tricky bits, keep them in SBK, copy WSBK rules exactly, even the "EVO" class if you want but stay away from drafting your own stuff for chrissake.

Zero wrong with a 600 "supersport," class... something that would allow any commercially available "add on" type electrics (like Bazazz, etc.) that work with the stock ECU. No full ECU swaps and standalone management allowed. If WSS rules aren't good for that than look to BSB or somewhere else that has a 600 class with rules geared for parity and low expense... Like keep the bottom end stock, allow for +1mm pistons (only for those bikes not currently overbored, like a 640cc limit for OEM 600cc bikes), etc.. Allow some minor head work, stock cams (adjustable cam gears?), bladda bladda. Something you can reasonably build for $10-15k (engine only) and go nuts.

The final class should be either Moto3 rules / format or akin to CCS Lightweight Supersport. Something for younger riders to easily get involved in and keep the machines as close as you can spec wise. Done and done.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

CCS/LRRS #83

you may be right.... the strategy would be to have the rules so there's not a big cost for the factories to also produce/ run bikes in the USA series with bikes they prep for the world or Euro stage.
    Smarter people than me should be able to figure out the rules allowing the above with minimal cost changes that also gives the local hot shots some opportunity.

Filling up the grid may be somewhat important but let's face it, even today for club racers entering AMA events their bikes are nowhere near the sophistication of the top teams bikes...nothing really changes.
    Also "dumbing down" class rules tends to not work.

Spectators pay (come to see) the top riders and best machines<factory> - they have proven not to come when the grids are filling up with club racers.

Also, the USA is a dominant Motorcycle nation and we should as a nation be able to "afford" a world class series in our own backyard. (see more on my reply coming up to Mike Kurtz message).

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Graham
    "If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee — that will do them in"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz View Post
    Where do we send our letters for the fan campaign to get Graham made CEO of AMA Pro Racing?

Somewhere, I heard an interesting idea on why NASCAR is so popular and motorcycle racing of all types isn't, at least in the US.

(Almost) everyone can relate to driving a car, especially around in circles. People get it, they can picture themselves being the guy doing it, and they understand how it works. Motorcycles, not so much.
    Mike, antidotal I can agree with you … but the facts don’t really support we are a second class motorcycle nation. A small(er) part of the overall personal vehicle market? Yes.

Is the USA motorcycle industry overshadowed by the car industry? Yes, but that’s a matter of targeting the marketing to the motorcycle community not the general public.

General market targeting which may work in other countries where the motorcycles are either”
    A. a higher percentage per 1000 population or
    B, a higher percent of overall road going vehicles
    Does not work here in the USA.
    That’s where the smarts (marketing comes in)… to, “sift out the chaff from the wheat”.

The USA does have one significant advantage – it is a fairly homogenous market unlike Western Europe which is at least 7 different markets (what works in one country does not necessary work in another).

Comparing USA to a number of “motorcycle nations” we come out as a major player…

Recent data
    2013 first six months new Sales of Japanese bikes
    Area units
    World wide 211,000
    USA 93,000 (nearly 50% mostly +250cc)
    Euro 76,000
    ROW 42,000

Other factual data:
    In the USA the number of registered motorcycles grew 51% in the period 2000 to 2005

Motorcycles per country: (only have access of 2002 data)
    Country million motorcycles mototcycles/1000 pop million cars cars/1000 pop
    US 5 17 140 481
    Italy 11 125 31 541
    Spain 3 80 18 441
    UK 2 28 23 384

So to be successful in anything motorcycle related the marketing has to be very target to the 5 million (2002 data) served available market..

Graham
    "If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee — that will do them in"

better table
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014 AMA schedule-mc-nation-jpg  

Graham

Marketing is the key to success/failure of the sport. As pointed out above, the USA has large population of riders and enthusiasts. However, we fall well short of attracting the crowds needed to support the sport to the same level as that of WSBK, MotoGP or even BSB. BSB, by the way, is supported with enthusiastic crowds in a country where the gov't makes it very costly to own and operate a mototrcycle. Forget about it if you want a big bore bike! So, one can only reasonably conclude that the group charged with promoting the sport here are utterly clueless as how to effectively market this or any other sport.

Fire the marketing group. OR, create a new organization which closely models other succesful series around the world and put the AMA program out of business. (Yes, I know Formula USA has come and gone)

We have a great market to support a domestic premiere roadracing series. Let's hope there is someone with pockets deep enough to overcome the initial diminishing returns of the first few years of re-org or start up. I just hope it comes about before pro racing disappears from the USA.

LRRS#167

Lifetime Motorcyclist Woodcraft's Avatar

The best idea that I heard thus far was to create events that are more crowd worthy. For example, there was a proposal on the table where the Coombs people (who run MX events) wanted to buy AMA Superbike. They talked about running events that were Road Racing by day, Motocross /Supercross at night. The formula of having multiple attractions at a single event is a well proven model to bring people out (if you've been to Barber in October you'll know what I mean) and actually cuts costs for the manufacturers with the factory rigs and riders that the fans want to see. Unfortunately, DMG was not inclined to sell the AMA superbike series to them at this time. Better shows with bigger crowds always evolve into events with higher prestige, more purse money and better media coverage. Here's hoping for a win-win like that down the road.

Animal Hill Super Motard Champion Johnny B's Avatar

Johnny B. (the other one) ®
    Butler's Rest Home - "No Vacancy"
    Super Motard Champ 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985

Visit the Rest Home: http://resthome.50megs.com

"Listen to your ass, it's giving you lots of information!" - Buddy Melges

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz View Post
    Where do we send our letters for the fan campaign to get Graham made CEO of AMA Pro Racing?

Somewhere, I heard an interesting idea on why NASCAR is so popular and motorcycle racing of all types isn't, at least in the US.

(Almost) everyone can relate to driving a car, especially around in circles. People get it, they can picture themselves being the guy doing it, and they understand how it works. Motorcycles, not so much.
    That was me bitch

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny B View Post
    not sure how i feel about it yet. seems kinda hokey but i will have to see the final product

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    not sure how i feel about it yet. seems kinda hokey but i will have to see the final product
    Need to do something and this is why.

Say you are a sponsor of a US roadracing team. You're title. You are paying say $500k and did a multi-year deal with the team. 2014 could be year 2 of a 2 year deal, or year 2 of a 3 year deal. Or maybe it's year 1 and it's a 1 year deal. Point is you did a deal for $500k and sold the sponsor on a (average) 10 round series around the country with TV. Now all of a sudden you are looking at a 5-6 round series with no TV package announced (rumours are it's not going well either). Well if you are that sponsor, you are 100% justified to say "I'm paying you $50,000k per round (assuming 10 rounds) and you are only doing half that (5), I want $250k back". That would be a VERY BAD THING for the team, and you would/should be doing all you can to drum up 'added value' for the 2014 season so your sponsor doesn't say 'this is a joke and not worth our time' and bail.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by a13x View Post
    Need to do something and this is why.

Say you are a sponsor of a US roadracing team. You're title. You are paying say $500k and did a multi-year deal with the team. 2014 could be year 2 of a 2 year deal, or year 2 of a 3 year deal. Or maybe it's year 1 and it's a 1 year deal. Point is you did a deal for $500k and sold the sponsor on a (average) 10 round series around the country with TV. Now all of a sudden you are looking at a 5-6 round series with no TV package announced (rumours are it's not going well either). Well if you are that sponsor, you are 100% justified to say "I'm paying you $50,000k per round (assuming 10 rounds) and you are only doing half that (5), I want $250k back". That would be a VERY BAD THING for the team, and you would/should be doing all you can to drum up 'added value' for the 2014 season so your sponsor doesn't say 'this is a joke and not worth our time' and bail.
    i 100% understand and agree. something should be done. is this it? i dont know. like i said, at this moment its in its infancy and is along the lines of throwing ideas around and see what sticks. im interested to see the final product to see how its all going to play out. trust me, im pulling for the series, not DMG, but the riders and the series. riders like Fong, Westby and even the Cam, hes still new and just won a championship. he deserves a real series to defend it.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

i 100% understand and agree. something should be done. is this it? i dont know. like i said, at this moment its in its infancy and is along the lines of throwing ideas around and see what sticks. im interested to see the final product to see how its all going to play out. trust me, im pulling for the series, not DMG, but the riders and the series. riders like Fong, Westby and even the Cam, hes still new and just won a championship. he deserves a real series to defend it.
    I place my faith in John Ulrich actually doing something good for American pro road racing. The first step has to take place at some point and this looks to be it. He has the passion (and likely the backing) for it. He also has a certain understanding that DMG as a whole sorely lacks.

Im with Butcher. I think if anyone in our country has the knowledge, means and desire to get US Roadracing back to a "premier" level, its Ulrich. Its gotta start somewhere.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Animal Hill Super Motard Champion Johnny B's Avatar

Not sure how I feel about it yet. Seems kinda hokey but I will have to see the final product.
    Given the last minute nature of this, hokey is better than nothing. There is a serious disconnect going on when an AMA national is initially scheduled opposite WSB at Laguna Seca.
    Especially when AMA Pro Racing is expected to provide the support races at the WSB event. As Alex explained, this is a last ditch effort to help the teams to salvage whatever support they can get.
    AMA Pro Racing can either get behind it, ignore it, or maybe we'll go back to the days when you saw the likes of Apismo Clam racing events like these.

Johnny B. (the other one) ®
    Butler's Rest Home - "No Vacancy"
    Super Motard Champ 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985

Visit the Rest Home: http://resthome.50megs.com

"Listen to your ass, it's giving you lots of information!" - Buddy Melges

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123