Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Looking for advice - competitive 600cc bike

You dont know slow... PainfullySlow's Avatar

Re: Looking for advice - competitive 600cc bike

Quote Originally Posted by union View Post
    On the R6 the 08+ is the way to go. They made a throttle body and electronics update that year. It gave the motor more life at lower rpms over the 06 and 07 R6.
    Thank you, this is some of the info I was looking for

Quote Originally Posted by 35racer View Post
    Maybe that was the last year Yamaha was paying

Of course, we'll have to tweak it to run Pirelli's.
    Yeah I had considered that. I dont know if everyone is running R6 because its the weapon of choice or because Yamaha was paying top dollar. From what I understand most manufacturers have pulled out of contingency all together at this point but I cant say if it is true or not. In any case, I will not be able to afford a 2 year old race bike at this point so it is a moot point for me. I want what will perform well and will worry about contingency at the point where I actually start winning (if ever :-p)

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    ...and if you look back a few years ago eveyone was on Kawis....and before that, Hondas...before that Suzuki...
    A valid point. I am coming into this with almost zero intel. If it is just a "so-and-so runs this bike so I will as well" thing then I dont give a crap. If it is truly any bike of 3-5 years will be comparable then I will go with whatever I can get as the best deal with the best parts availability. I just want to know if there is a performance based reason why everyone runs the R6

A 10 year old MW machine with some suspension is competitive right thru to AM.

Can't speak on whether or not it could be in EX since I'm not there yet however I don't see why at least mid-pack EX results couldn't be acheived.
    Sadly my AM days are behind me or I would have just picked up any old 600 and called it a day. I tend to do things 110% so I have no intention of sitting in mid-pack =)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

The mid-pack comment more of a "just saying" thing. I know where your head is at with this.

Lifer

A 10 year old MW machine with some suspension is competitive right thru to AM.

Can't speak on whether or not it could be in EX since I'm not there yet however I don't see why at least mid-pack EX results couldn't be acheived.
    I'm talking front of the pack. Competitive means able to compete for the win to me.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
    I'm talking front of the pack. Competitive means able to compete for the win to me.
    I agree with your definition of "competitive". I wanted to shed light on how far an older MW machine could feasibly take a rider, which is, no offense intended toward you, much further than you gave credit to.

Quote Originally Posted by PainfullySlow View Post
    For an example, the entire EX MWSS grid from the last race weekend was 2008 R6s with the exception of 1 other bike! There must be a reason for this, I would like to know the why's of the matter =)
    R6's are the best handling of all the current 600's... According to Roadracing World's last 600cc shootout, Ulrich and Toye both felt like the Yam. was the best racer. Most other tests have all reached the same conclusion over the past 5 yrs. The bike just goes where it is supposed to go, and your line can be tightened if needed, so it is a little more forgiving than other bikes if you don't get your trajectory just right.

My opinion is that you can't go wrong w/a 06' or newer R6... yeah the 08' has a bit more midrange, but is down on top end compared to the 06'. The chassis is what's important at Loudon, and I think that's why most fast guys are racing them. The differences in years are very subtle... and basically breaks down like this: 06/07... Year the bike took it's current form(chassis-wise), 08... got the variable length intake stuff and other slight f/i mods to make more midrange, 09, 10, 11, a bit longer muffler which was supposed to bring it's slightly down(from 06/07) hp back up while meeting stricter noise/emissions restrictions, but failed... although obviously w/a race exhaust that don't matter. Some peak HP numbers I've seen in mags show 112 for 06', 105ish for 08', and as low as 103 for the newer bike. The key is you get the same chassis for all these years, and w/some mods you can have the best handling machine w/plenty of power for Loudon. Other bikes have issues that are harder to address... it's alot easier to get more power than it is to make the bike handle better.

LRRS am #121

"So this is what your race program has become... the back of a pickup truck huh?" -PK

Michael, this thread has some good info on the R6s.

Retired LRRS/CCS EX #212 | Woodcraft | Armour Bodies | Dainese USA |

This begs the question. Is the SV going to be looking for a new home?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianC View Post
    R6's are the best handling of all the current 600's... According to Roadracing World's last 600cc shootout, Ulrich and Toye both felt like the Yam. was the best racer. Most other tests have all reached the same conclusion over the past 5 yrs. The bike just goes where it is supposed to go, and your line can be tightened if needed, so it is a little more forgiving than other bikes if you don't get your trajectory just right.

My opinion is that you can't go wrong w/a 06' or newer R6... yeah the 08' has a bit more midrange, but is down on top end compared to the 06'. The chassis is what's important at Loudon, and I think that's why most fast guys are racing them. The differences in years are very subtle... and basically breaks down like this: 06/07... Year the bike took it's current form(chassis-wise), 08... got the variable length intake stuff and other slight f/i mods to make more midrange, 09, 10, 11, a bit longer muffler which was supposed to bring it's slightly down(from 06/07) hp back up while meeting stricter noise/emissions restrictions, but failed... although obviously w/a race exhaust that don't matter. Some peak HP numbers I've seen in mags show 112 for 06', 105ish for 08', and as low as 103 for the newer bike. The key is you get the same chassis for all these years, and w/some mods you can have the best handling machine w/plenty of power for Loudon. Other bikes have issues that are harder to address... it's alot easier to get more power than it is to make the bike handle better.
    One of the issues with the 08+ R6 was the piston crown shape. When people were building up those motors they would use the 06-07 piston. I dont know if that is still the case.

James

It should also be noted that the 08' model's upgrades can be fitted to the 06/07 R6 for beefier midrange.

LRRS am #121

"So this is what your race program has become... the back of a pickup truck huh?" -PK

Quote Originally Posted by Rada View Post
    Get off my kool-aid!

(I'm also pretty certain Mike isn't selling the SV any time soon)

You dont know slow... PainfullySlow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rada View Post
    Not a chance :-p I <3 my SV and it wont be going anywhere. I am looking to pick up a 600 to run MWSS in addition to my LWGP, LWSB, and GTL docket.

I was pretty certain that was the case but could not resist asking. Your SV is one of the nicest ones in the garage and would be highly desirable.

I am selling a race ready R6 did 12s will have fresh motor when sold setup for ama supersport 9 G's message me for more info

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12