Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

MotoGP Spoiler - Simoncelli?!

Re: MotoGP Spoiler - Simoncelli?!

These two situations, Rossi's and Simoncelli's, are identical. They both went too late on the brakes for the situation. I guess the only argument is that simoncelli has been criticized for this a lot lately. Thing is, Rossi has been criticized a lot for the same thing. How about Laguna? He had a number of dangerous passes in that race. His battles with Gibernau were also notoriously harsh. I think I remember Rossi getting docked once for aggressive riding.

I think the ride through was fair and sent a message that you can't win a race by taking other riders out.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    These two situations, Rossi's and Simoncelli's, are identical. They both went too late on the brakes for the situation. I guess the only argument is that simoncelli has been criticized for this a lot lately. Thing is, Rossi has been criticized a lot for the same thing. How about Laguna? He had a number of dangerous passes in that race. His battles with Gibernau were also notoriously harsh. I think I remember Rossi getting docked once for aggressive riding.

I think the ride through was fair and sent a message that you can't win a race by taking other riders out.

I agree Paul. I message did have to be sent. In the flip side of things, how do you draw a line in between pure competition and unsafe passing? Just saying, sometimes it is hard to make the distinction. I guess that given Simoncelli's history this early is the season the racing commission did make the right call.

Rossi too can be very harsh sometimes. I mean if the man wants to get past you he will find a way. As for the last incident with Stoner, it did suck for him to take out Stoner. However, I have to concede while it may not change the results his apologizing to Stoner showed character (on or off camera). He got off of his bike and immediately walked over to the Repsol garage to apologize. Unfortunately, it is evident that Stoner still holds a grudge with Rossi.

Last edited by Eddie; 05-18-11 at 08:04 AM.

While he may have the same accent, Stoner is not Mick Doohan. I don't think he is in a position to lecture Rossi about talent or ambition. The door was open, Rossi took it.

CCS/LRRS/NEMM AM #205 (Inactive)

I'd like to see the actual stats on simoncelli. Since he's been in the premier class how many races has he started and finished without a crash or being involved in someone else crashing. He is famous for running a bit loose.

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

Quote Originally Posted by eboos View Post
    While he may have the same accent, Stoner is not Mick Doohan. I don't think he is in a position to lecture Rossi about talent or ambition. The door was open, Rossi took it.
    LOL!! Good point Eric. But you have to admit...the guy is fast. With Pedrobot out I'm not sure if anyone else can keep up with him.

Quote Originally Posted by smf View Post
    I'm still waiting on lorenzo's fine for using dovi as a berm.

simoncelli's pass was tough, but it's racing, pedrosa could've yielded earlier.
    ya I agree, Lorenzo and Simoncelli were BOTH very questionable

LRRS #399
    MX #505

This seems like an appropriate place to put this picture.

I don't know why you guys don't like Pedrosa.

Quote Originally Posted by ilikenapalm View Post
    This seems like an appropriate place to put this picture.

I don't know why you guys don't like Pedrosa.
    That must be a really small 18 wheeler, in most pics like that Dani would have to reach up to to touch the top of a tire...

Quote Originally Posted by CMG241 View Post
    That must be a really small 18 wheeler, in most pics like that Dani would have to reach up to to touch the top of a tire...
    Little truck for a little guy!
    Any thoughts why the Yamahas were off the pace? Maybe it's because Lorenzo can't copy Rossi's settings anymore........

Is this a Charlie Sheen "Mini Me"?

John
    CCS/LRRS Expert #69
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2004
    "Speed has a kind of affinity for me, it's the time God and I have our little talks."

Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    Little truck for a little guy!
    Any thoughts why the Yamahas were off the pace? Maybe it's because Lorenzo can't copy Rossi's settings anymore........
    that could be (and I'll love it if it's true). could also be that development on this year's bike is slowing down so they can ramp up on the 1000cc bike.

Scott
    1990 Honda Hawk NT700 (rebuilt?)
    2012 Ducati Streetfighter 848 (retarded fun)

Quote Originally Posted by CMG241 View Post
    Not like he needs extra headroom.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Quote Originally Posted by smf View Post
    that could be (and I'll love it if it's true). could also be that development on this year's bike is slowing down so they can ramp up on the 1000cc bike.
    Spies mentioned last season that every Yamaha riders data was pretty readily available. But in the same breath, George isn't exactly in last place this year. And if I recall, there was a lap or two Rossi missed last year and George was on his own.

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

Quote Originally Posted by BMFR6 View Post
    And if I recall, there was a lap or two Rossi missed last year and George was on his own.
    yup. i don't mean he can't setup a bike, just that he never developed that bike without rossi/burgess working at it too - there's a big difference between setup and development. we'll find out how well he develops a motogp bike over the next year or so. he came into yamaha after burgess and rossi had spent years working their magic.

it looks like honda just plain beat everyone on the technical side this season. it'll be interesting to see if the other factories really want to pour $$ into this year's bike with the pending changes - just pointing out that if georgie-boy can develop a motogp machine we might have to wait until next season to see it. the jury's very much out at the moment.

Scott
    1990 Honda Hawk NT700 (rebuilt?)
    2012 Ducati Streetfighter 848 (retarded fun)

These two situations, Rossi's and Simoncelli's, are identical.
    The one big difference, IMO, was Rossi's move was in a wet race where every rider has commented about the widely varying grip levels (and he went up the inside). Simoncelli's move was in the dry (relatively consistent grip) and he went around the outside then cut across Pedrosa's front wheel.

And as far as bike development goes, Rossi-developed bikes have a history of winning championships. Nicky won his world title the year after Rossi left for Yamaha, Jorge wins when Rossi missed a good part of the year with injury. I'm predicting Ducati is very, very strong next year.

-Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

I'm predicting Honda is super strong next year. Stoner has already been on the 2012 bike.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    I'm predicting Honda is super strong next year. Stoner has already been on the 2012 bike.
    as much as i hate to say it, my money is on ducati for the best bike out of the box. then yamaha, then honda. i see another rule change honda flop coming up and they really don't have the best team when it comes to development. everyone of their riders is very different and top caliber..... who do they build the bike around?

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

I read somewhere Rossi has already been riding the 1000 Ducati, if he can make this years bike consistent which he appears to be doing judging by the results so far, I am guessing that next year they will be in with a good shot of the title.

as much as i hate to say it, my money is on ducati for the best bike out of the box. then yamaha, then honda. i see another rule change honda flop coming up and they really don't have the best team when it comes to development. everyone of their riders is very different and top caliber..... who do they build the bike around?
    I read somewhere Rossi has already been riding the 1000 Ducati, if he can make this years bike consistent which he appears to be doing judging by the results so far, I am guessing that next year they will be in with a good shot of the title.
    I agree to both of you. Rossi is not only one of the greatest riders out there, he certainly plays a crucial role in developing bikes. Judging from his history, I'd probably say that the Ducati is going to be very competitive next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    I'd probably say that the Ducati is going to be very competitive next year.
    I think that may be the case by the end of this year!!! I would love to see Rossi on the top step before the rule changes next year..

I think that may be the case by the end of this year!!! I would love to see Rossi on the top step before the rule changes next year..

Quote Originally Posted by kb1 View Post
    Time will tell....

yeah but Honda doesn't like losing in the GPs. That's why they have the rules changed. They wanted 800s they got them but couldn't win a title with it so they got the rules changed again but are making a last ditch effort to win an 800 title with essentially 4 factory riders although one seems to be on a Team Honda-destruction mission.

Come on, we all know Ducati is paying three riders.

Rossi, Hayden... and.... you guessed it. Simoncelli.

Well, Ducati and Yamaha are probably splitting the bill.

Come on, we all know Ducati is paying three riders.

Rossi, Hayden... and.... you guessed it. Simoncelli.

Well, Ducati and Yamaha are probably splitting the bill.
    Ouch!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast