Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Crush washers?

Crush washers?

I am looking for a bunch of crush washers for a spiegler SS brakeline set I picked up used. It is for an F4i. Any idea where I could find some at a reasonable price? Local shop wants $2.25 a washer! Auto parts stores don't seem to have the right size. Any one know if these washers are 3/8" or 7/16" ? Maybe I could get some online?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2001 RC-51 work in progress
    1997 GSXR-600 track only-gone
    2001 CBR600 F4i-gone
    2002 Suzuki Hayabusa-gone

Crush washers?

Here is a 6pack for $4.00us ?
    Dennis Kirk | Metric Bikes Main Page

My Name is Chrissy
    This is Jello

Have you hugged a corner today?

Crush washers?

Quote Originally Posted by v2winstunter View Post
    I am looking for a bunch of crush washers for a spiegler SS brakeline set I picked up used. It is for an F4i. Any idea where I could find some at a reasonable price? Local shop wants $2.25 a washer! Auto parts stores don't seem to have the right size. Any one know if these washers are 3/8" or 7/16" ? Maybe I could get some online?
    I should have some lying around left over from a Glafer kit I put on a FZ1. I don't think they would be very different. How many do you need if it's one or two I may be able to help. email me at home kevin at nixoid d ot com and I'll check for you. Free of course.

Crush washers?

I have soem off of an R6 if they'll fit, you can have them...

otherwise check msc direct or mcmaster

Crush washers?

they sell them at auto parts stores! go to advance auto or something. or you can order them online. i called galfer and they said call cyclebrakes.com and go tthem for 50 cents a piece.

Crush washers?

Advance Auto Parts, and Pepboys, Lowes, Home Depot, and Ace Hardware do not carry crush washers.

2004 GSXR 600

Crush washers?

Quote Originally Posted by FastJohnny View Post
    Advance Auto Parts, and Pepboys, Lowes, Home Depot, and Ace Hardware do not carry crush washers.
    wanna bet? advance does for sure. the guys at the counter jut dont know it. i asked and they said they didnt have it, but sure enough they did.

Crush washers?

Quote Originally Posted by The Magician View Post
    wanna bet? advance does for sure. the guys at the counter jut dont know it. i asked and they said they didnt have it, but sure enough they did.
    +1

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

Crush washers?

Quote Originally Posted by FastJohnny View Post
    Hell Johnny, they dont even know what a crush washer is!

Crush washers?

If you are the world's biggest cheapskate you can reuse a crush washer, but you should anneal it first. You rub it with Ivory soap and then heat the washer with a torch until the soap turns black, then plunge it into a bucket of water. The washer is now soft again.

Aluminum has some odd properties, one of which being that it "age hardens". Not sure what the timescale of a crush washer alloy is, but if you buy one that's been on the shelf for several years it might not be soft anymore.

Joe
    04 Thruxton (Street)
    01 SV650 (Track)
    75 CB400F (Future Vintage Racer)
    68 BSA Royal Star (Garage Floor Lubricator)

Crush washers?

Quote Originally Posted by joeswamp View Post
    If you are the world's biggest cheapskate you can reuse a crush washer, but you should anneal it first. You rub it with Ivory soap and then heat the washer with a torch until the soap turns black, then plunge it into a bucket of water. The washer is now soft again.

Aluminum has some odd properties, one of which being that it "age hardens". Not sure what the timescale of a crush washer alloy is, but if you buy one that's been on the shelf for several years it might not be soft anymore.
    are you a metallurgist?

is the soap just an indicator to let you know you got to the right temp?

I think you need like 600-700 degrees celsius (pretty sure soap burns long before that.)

I did a little research on the piston heads in an '03 cobra... but my brain is rusted, so i may not remember the facts.

Crush washers?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
    are you a metallurgist?

is the soap just an indicator to let you know you got to the right temp?

I think you need like 600-700 degrees celsius (pretty sure soap burns long before that.)

I did a little research on the piston heads in an '03 cobra... but my brain is rusted, so i may not remember the facts.
    I'm a mechanical engineer and have taken metallurgy classes but I'm certainly no expert...

Yes Ivory soap is the poor man's temp crayon. This is a very traditional method of annealing aluminum sheet. It's certainly not as accurate as using real temp crayons, but it probably doesn't need to be.

If you are super old school, the way you do it is set your torch to almost pure acetylene and deposit soot on the alumimum. You then set the torch to a neutral flame and burn the soot off -- that gets the metal up to temp and aneals it. 20 years ago I worked for a guy whose father hand-built Indy race car bodies in the 1940's and 50's, this was the first thing he'd do to the aluminum sheet before hammering away.

Joe
    04 Thruxton (Street)
    01 SV650 (Track)
    75 CB400F (Future Vintage Racer)
    68 BSA Royal Star (Garage Floor Lubricator)

Crush washers?

Guess I should check back on here more often! I checked all those big name car places but they didn't have what I needed. Ended up going to a local Car place (Robbins) and they got em for me in a day. Thanks for all your help guys.

2001 RC-51 work in progress
    1997 GSXR-600 track only-gone
    2001 CBR600 F4i-gone
    2002 Suzuki Hayabusa-gone