Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

key won't turn help

key won't turn help

the other day i went to start my bike and i put the key in and it would not turn, after about two or three minutes of trying it finally went. now every time i try to start it the same thing happens, the key goes into the hole fine then doesn not want to turn in either way. Whats the deal? any help would be great.
    Thanks

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

key won't turn help

is your key a new? I ran into that issue a few times before with a key that wasn't cut that well. If not try some wd40 in the key slot.

2021 Ducati Panigale V2
    2020 Honda Grom

key won't turn help

go to the hardware store and get some Graphite based lock cylinder lube. (it should be in the same area as the lock de-icer sprayer stuff). My key cylinder was getting real bad last fall and Keira's was bad this spring and after a few sprays with Graphite they are good as new.

key won't turn help

is it the original key or a duplicate? try wiggling the bars a lil when u do it, also throw some lube in the cylinder itself and on ur key and run the key in and out a few times (without trying to turn it) u might have a frozen wafer, does the key work fine on the gas cap?

.:|LaRNZ|:.

key won't turn help

Quote Originally Posted by reiobard View Post
    go to the hardware store and get some Graphite based lock cylinder lube. (it should be in the same area as the lock de-icer sprayer stuff). My key cylinder was getting real bad last fall and Keira's was bad this spring and after a few sprays with Graphite they are good as new.

Graphite has worked well for me in the past (I had the exact same problem)... My advive is to just remember there will probably be some residue left in the cylinder and on the key for a few days after... You'll eventually be reminded when you remove the key and mess up your pocket, smear graphite on your face unknowingly, wonder why everyone's giving you funny looks, etc. It's supposed to be a dry lube, but trust me. It can get messy.

High maintenance priss

key won't turn help

If you have a old key, it may just be worn to the point where some of the pins (usually the last pin/s are the worst) will not become disengaged. My TL w/ 20k mi had this problem. Should get a new key cut from the lock. Have a locksmith make the key from the ignition; the rear seat latch lock and/or gas cap lock sometimes have fewer pins. Copying the worn key won't help much.

If key is in good shape, then lubing the slot helps.