Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Wanted: Best way to recover a seat

Just ask, Be surprised!

Wanted: Best way to recover a seat

I have a seat cover which is starting to split open. I want to replace the cover. What is used, where should I get it? I have looked around for a replacement seat, but none can be found. This is for the rear seat, not the driver. Though I imagine I shall one day have to recover the driver seat as well.

I have a SV650S 2002.

thanks for the help.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Just Registered

Re: Wanted: Best way to recover a seat

These guys come to mind, a bit squiddish - but might get you covered:
    http://www.second-look.com/store/index.html

My 2 vices, not necessarily in order:
    www.gpsdiscussion.com
    motorcycleaddicts.org

I've done a few seat covers. Nothing custom or anything crazy, just making a cover and stapling it. I can send some pics your way if you'd like to see some of the finished work.

As far as sourcing a cover, you may want to check Parts Unlimited or Tucker Rocky. I've ordered OEM replacement covers from PU for various bikes in the past, otherwise I have material to make covers.

Yeah, I'm with Bergs on this. Both my seat covers are covered in microfiber. The stock cover is only stapled on, you can remove the staples with a flat head screwdriver. Then you just need new fabric of your choice and a decent staple gun. Just work slowly around the edges pulling on it to keep it from bunching up or wrinkling but its fairly easy. Most fabric stores stock the vinyl used for boat seats in several colors.

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.297 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.1.20.0)

Yep. Just buy a square of vinyl. It may not match the front, but you could always do both.
    Is this for the sv or the bmw?

Just ask, Be surprised!

Quote Originally Posted by DuncanMoto View Post
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.297 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.1.20.0)

Yep. Just buy a square of vinyl. It may not match the front, but you could always do both.
    Is this for the sv or the bmw?
    my SV.. the BMW is mint

Lifer

If there aren't any seams in it - a plain piece of vinyl should work fine. Be careful taking the old one off, use it as a template for the new one but allow about 1/2 an inch all around so you have something to grab onto to pull it taught. You might want to try to track down similar staples (length wise) as well. Do yourself a favor - do it in a warm room. The material stretches and forms a lot better.

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

Just ask, Be surprised!

Quote Originally Posted by SSearchVT View Post
    If there aren't any seams in it - a plain piece of vinyl should work fine. Be careful taking the old one off, use it as a template for the new one but allow about 1/2 an inch all around so you have something to grab onto to pull it taught. You might want to try to track down similar staples (length wise) as well. Do yourself a favor - do it in a warm room. The material stretches and forms a lot better.
    thanks.. all great suggestions.

yes my covers do not have any seams. the current fabric seems to just be stretched over the plastic subframe. I think I shall have to try out some different attachment sequences to get the cover taught evenly over the whole surface. This might be a trial and error thing.

Its not as easy as it looks and I use these guys and they always do a great job and are affordable..

Bodell Auto Upholstery
    759 Boston Rd
    Billerica, MA 01821
    978-670-9800

This is from the seat for my race bike. Honda had originally made it as a 2-panel piece for easier installation but I found it was still workable to make a single panel. Maybe not as 'easy' per se but I certainly wasn't going to cut and tailor multiple panels for a race bike seat cover. So yeah, a couple of the creases can be seen on the rear corners but again, on the race bike I'm shooting for "nice from 100 feet or 100 mph".

I'll get some pics of my sister's reworked FZ6 seat as well. Previous owner cut the factory seat foam then stuffed a massive block of memory foam in there. The result ended up packing the rider into the tank so I pulled the cover back, worked at the memory foam a bit and now it seems better but haven't road-tested it yet. Looks a little better too now that there isn't a giant square sticking out of the middle of the seat.

^^ I'd hit it.

I did pretty much the same except I removed a bunch of the OEM foam and then re-used the OEM cover. Big staple gun. Bike is a 1st gen SV650. Worked fine.

Fitz