Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Misfiring/dying CB200 Second Opinions?

Misfiring/dying CB200 Second Opinions?

1976 Honda CB200

Dies if you roll on the throttle too quick regardless if its hot or cold
    Misfires at high RPM's
    Output of the left exhaust is considerably less than the right exhaust
    After running for a bit, the left exhaust is considerably cooler than the right to the touch.

So far I have cleaned the carbs
    Swapped the plugs from side to side; no difference
    Plugs and points look good
    To the naked eye, the spark seems to be the same between both sides

My first thought is the coil due to one header running much cooler than the other and the lack of exhaust output on one side. I’m second guessing myself though due to what seems like a similar spark on both sides to the naked eye.

I was then thinking it might be fuel starvation on the left side, but if I run the bike and then pull the plug, its wet with gas.

Last thought is that maybe there is some sort of compression issue, in turn snowballing into a misfire issue. I don’t have a compression gauge to check it out. The bike is a 76 but only has about 2700 miles. So my only thought with compression would be a bad gasket as I wouldn’t imagine the rings shitting the bed when the bike was hardly used.

Do I go the coil route? Finding a good one for a bike this old may be a challenge, but maybe there is a way I can use a more modern after market coil? Or should I be barking up a different tree all together?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

Re: Misfiring/dying CB200 Second Opinions?

If it's getting gas, the only other thing it can be is spark. Even though you are seeing a spark it might not be strong enough under load. I would replace the points/condenser and if still bad then go the coil route. Call 978-392-7870 ask for Craig, tell him Doug told you to call. He is a my buddy and knows older bikes well. He could even have a coil there you could try/buy. If not he might have a good suggestion as to what it is and where to get one.

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

Start with the easy stuff on the old Honda. Clean and sync the carbs, adjust the valves, set the points. If you have more than 130 psi compression it should run easy. The old Honda coils do go bad after 40 years. Get an Accell coil from a HD Sportster about 85.00 on line. I use that coil on most of my old Honda's they work great.

That bike would have points, no?. They likely need to be replaced/adjusted.

Edit: Gene pointed that out simultaneously (pun intended)

Paul_E_D

I'm thinking valve adjustment if the points are good. Once it starts to tighten up your compression will drop, as will it's willingness to accept big handfuls of throttle.

Doug, where is he located?

Gene, I have a Carbtool so I should be able to do a sync........ but everything I've done before has been throttle bodies on fuel injected bikes. Do you have a down and dirty explanation on what I would even hook the tool up to on these carbs? The Accell coil sounds like a good idea and I'll probably have a few questions for you once this lady decides to sell. Right now, I don't own the bike I've just had it stored for a bunch of years. Now she says she wants to sell and wants it running decent. But I want it, I need to keep my parts investment as cheap as possible so I can throw her a $100 and forget about what I've put into it. If I buy an $85 coil on top of what I've put in, she would just be signing the bike over to me which is tough for a seller to stomach.

Paul, the points look good and "should" be adjusted properly given the bikes mileage and the fact they haven't been fucked with before and the bike has ran fine. It's one set of points for a twin cylinder bike. The shade tree engineer in me would think that if the points were bad, I would either have A) a misfire on each cylinder or B) random misfires on either cylinder. This seems like it is just the left side.

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

Kurlon, I think valves would make sense if the bike was ridden periodically. I rode around on this as a pit bike in 03 or 04 I think and it was fine. It hasn't done anything since then so I wouldn't expect a valve to fall out of adjustment while stored.

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

He is in Westford, Ma.

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

Quote Originally Posted by BMFR6 View Post
    Kurlon, I think valves would make sense if the bike was ridden periodically. I rode around on this as a pit bike in 03 or 04 I think and it was fine. It hasn't done anything since then so I wouldn't expect a valve to fall out of adjustment while stored.
    Sat for awhile, a lil corrosion built up on the seats softening them slightly, when you ran it next the clearance tightened up?

I do not think the carb tool will help. The old CB200 may not have ports to connect. I have a CB200 manual that goes over setting the carbs up. I may be able to email you a copy.

Lifer

A good part of your issues sound like fuel and air problems. Id recheck the intake side of things. You could have a torn manifold as well and not know it. I would also redo the carbs and set them to factory. Clean the points good too. You can check compression and maybe do the valve adjustment but its not were i would start. I have a cb400 i just redid and it had alot of your symptoms. Cabr cleaning and set up with fresh plugs plus sealing the intake leaks took care of it.

You may want to check out hondatwins.com. You get your answers pretty fast over there especially from the admin. They helped point me in the right direction on a few of my issues. I believe they have all the service manual for free over there too.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold 9930)

Did this only start happening after this winter?

If so, check the muffler on that side for mouse nest evidence. Mice love those big old mufflers, and it can lead to the exact problem you're describing. Happened on my CB160

At very least do a business card through the points

The condensor (capacitors) age and will go bad without use.... weak spark

It should also be easy to swap coils side to side and see if the problem moves with the coil

Look at Walnecks etc. you should still be able to add an electronic module where the points only provide a signal
    it is more accurate and then points last forever

I would check for Gerbals in the exhaust too

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

At very least do a business card through the points

The condensor (capacitors) age and will go bad without use.... weak spark

It should also be easy to swap coils side to side and see if the problem moves with the coil

Here is a good write up
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=417099

Look at Walnecks etc. you should still be able to add an electronic module where the points only provide a signal
    it is more accurate and then points last forever

I would check for Gerbals in the exhaust too

The calculus of hate

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

That bike might have resistor spark plug caps on the ends of the wires. A failed resistor in one of the caps will cause that problem. NGK makes new replacement caps. Really easy to swap.

Also carb balancing is probably with top carb cable adjusters.. worth a look

I fixed cracked carb rubber spigots with black RTV silicone.

The calculus of hate

You may have other issues too but first up is clean and set up the points. Visual inspection will not be enough. If you want a live demo of the problem run the bike with the points cover off, I bet you get a lot of arcing.

I have a '76 honda CB200T that is having exactly the same issues. We have replaced the battery, and cleaned the carbs. We also swapped the plugs from side to side, which did not make a difference. Were you able to solve this problem? Do you have any tips to help me solve this problem?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BMFR6 View Post
    1976 Honda CB200

Dies if you roll on the throttle too quick regardless if its hot or cold
    Misfires at high RPM's
    Output of the left exhaust is considerably less than the right exhaust
    After running for a bit, the left exhaust is considerably cooler than the right to the touch.

So far I have cleaned the carbs
    Swapped the plugs from side to side; no difference
    Plugs and points look good
    To the naked eye, the spark seems to be the same between both sides

My first thought is the coil due to one header running much cooler than the other and the lack of exhaust output on one side. I’m second guessing myself though due to what seems like a similar spark on both sides to the naked eye.

I was then thinking it might be fuel starvation on the left side, but if I run the bike and then pull the plug, its wet with gas.

Last thought is that maybe there is some sort of compression issue, in turn snowballing into a misfire issue. I don’t have a compression gauge to check it out. The bike is a 76 but only has about 2700 miles. So my only thought with compression would be a bad gasket as I wouldn’t imagine the rings shitting the bed when the bike was hardly used.

Do I go the coil route? Finding a good one for a bike this old may be a challenge, but maybe there is a way I can use a more modern after market coil? Or should I be barking up a different tree all together?

Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post
    I have a '76 honda CB200T that is having exactly the same issues. We have replaced the battery, and cleaned the carbs. We also swapped the plugs from side to side, which did not make a difference. Were you able to solve this problem? Do you have any tips to help me solve this problem?
    Thanks!
    Same advice I gave the OP - you most likely have points issues. Replace them with new and set them, I would bet you will be all set.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Runs like a dream now, thanks!