Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

AM #121 Round 7

AM #121 Round 7

Finished my rookie season on Sat. by doing races 1, 3, and 10... I waited to pre-reg until the last minute because I had a few obstacles to get thru to be able to race. That seems to be the theme of my roadracing adventure because basically I've wanted to do this since I was a kid but for one reason or another I've never had it all come together until now. Over a year ago I realized I could make this happen, and set about putting things in place. With only a couple of years of street riding and zero track experience, most of you nesrians thought this was a joke or a bad idea, but I knew I had to go for it, and I'm so glad I did. Not only have I had the time of my life riding my bike at the track, I was able to conquer some huge obstacles and make a dream of mine happen which was always out of reach. Thanks to everyone who showed some support this year and offered help and advice especially, Chip, James, Peter, Paul, Heath, Bill, Joel, Adam, Pigman, Brett, Jimmy, Brian, Tyler, and anyone else I'm forgetting. I know I had some differences with some of you but I really feel like we're all family at the track...

Sat. Practice: I missed the first practice because I got to the track around 7:30am and had to do the usual reg./tech, but also I had to find Eric Wood because he had my tire warmer which had a new switch put on it. After I got the warmer, I threw them on the shagged Michelins I kept from my first 3 rounds as a novice... I definitely got thru this season spending the least possible... Anyway, the temp. was chilly, the wind was howling, and I knew traction was going to be an issue, but I was feeling very relaxed for the first time this season. I went out for the second session, and having so much time off in between rounds, I was feeling rusty and not very fast at all. I tried to focus on some things I wanted to work on, and managed to make some progress with that, but kind of forgot where I was going so on the very first lap, I came up out of the bowl, got around 7, and went straight off the edge of the track at 8 going pretty fast and basically jumped my bike over the broken asphalt at the edge... pretty scary, but that woke me up and I started to pay attention to where I was going and what the hell I was actually doing out there. At the end of that practice, I may have had the biggest epiphany all season about my riding. I realized that out of everything any fast or more experience racer has told me, I was doing none of them! I was basically just doing my own thing and riding to the edge and sometimes beyong my ability trying to go "fast". I quickly realized that that was not going to cut it anymore as an amateur, and I slowed my brain down enough to actually think about what everyone was saying to me and tried to put into action in the races...

Race 1 AM MWSB:
    Race 3 AM HWSS:
    Race 10 AM MWGP:
    All 3 races I rode the same so I'll save all the details... I was focused on a few things... namely finding and using markers, body position, taking good lines, and trailbraking w/a smooth transition from off the brakes to on the throttle. It was a little weird actually mentally focusing on these things in the middle of a race, but I was actually fairly successful picking up some markers, watching the experts' lines(and following them), looking thru the corner and getting my head over more, and my braking technique. The latter of which was challenging and cost me some time because while I was holding the brakes with one finger all the way to the apex and rolling on the throttle as I let out the last of the brakes, I never actually needed to do this because I was still getting on the brakes way to early(which I realized by practicing this) and was going way too slow for this technique to be of any use. It was good to get out of the habit of just letting go of the brakes before I tipped it in though, which was probably my biggest problem all season especially heading into t3.
    I did have some traction issues out there, and could feel my rear tire squirming alittle, so I lost alot of confidence as far as trying to carry more corner speed, so that basically kept me in the slower range of my lap times
    (1:26/27ish) for all my races, and consequently toward the back of the pack despite the fact that I had way more stamina this round thanks to my brutally hard new job. The highlight of the weekend was my 2nd start to the MWGP. I just nailed it and was probably in 4th or 5th going into t1 but the race was red flagged a 2nd time... I had some scary moments too, w/some dude trying to pass me up the inside going into 12... his line was ridiculous because he turned in way too early so he forced me into the grass and I had to kind of wheelie over the sink hole. I don't know who that was but it almost caused a 3 bike pile up heading onto the straight. Luckily I made it through the day with no crashes, and I actually had alot of fun racing and felt really laid back all day knowing that the season was over and I was just out there to have fun.

I will be back next season if everything works out, and hope to have some upgrades to my R6's stock suspension and exhaust. I want to do some trackdays, some penguin schools and friday practices... and I would also like to hit New Jersey sometime next season to try a different track. I think next year will be a good season as long as I continue to make progress.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS am #121

"So this is what your race program has become... the back of a pickup truck huh?" -PK

Re: AM #121 Round 7

you did well this year. We'll hit up a track day next year and work on body position.

i tried to get the BoMo guys to make a road trip to VIR for the CCS race there, but everyone had to bail due to time and funds.

if you're interested in doing other tracks next season, let me know.

PS - dont forget to replace that seat

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

I'd call this season a success. Absolutley try and set some $ aside for a td or ten, and the best instruction you can afford. it absolutely makes a difference. if you need a hand at all, don't hesitate to ask.

let the fun and games of winter innewebbin' begin.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

What Chip said.......although I have my doubts it'll take 10 trackdays.

Congrats on your season as well as you learning experience and for jumping into the pool cannon ball-style.

stock suspension and 0 track experience and you run low 20s??????????
    THUMPS UP!

I have been capable of turning some laps in the low 20's, but my pace lately has been more like mid 20's... . Seems like I was faster when I was leading novice races, and definitely on new tires. I'm gonna work alot next year on my riding, hopefully get myself in much better physical shape before the season, upgrade my bike a little bit, switch to Dunlops, and see if I can't get into the teens somewhere along the way. My goal this season was a 1:20 but I could only come up w/a 1:22.3.

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    stock suspension and 0 track experience and you run low 20s??????????
    THUMPS UP!

LRRS am #121

"So this is what your race program has become... the back of a pickup truck huh?" -PK

Congrats on a great rookie season, Brian. You did great, especially considering your lack of previous track experience and STOCK bike. Looking forward to watching you next year, teens aren't far off.

PS - Glad to hear you were starting to look for reference points, I think that's one of the things that will really help you in the future. Check out Keith Code's "A Twist of the Wrist," lots of good info in there, especially with all winter to absorb it.

-Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

Good work out there....and Dam good season. Get a few things done and teens will come....great racing with you and can't wait for Next year..

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

I'm with the rest. Great job on a completely stock bike with minimal track time.

Imagine what you'll do with more time and better suspension?

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

You dont know slow... PainfullySlow's Avatar

A good set of tires can make or break a race. Add stock suspension to shagged tires and it is nothing short of amazing that you are running anything sub 1:30s! Great season and hope to see you in the spring!