Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

#565 Round #6 - No one hit me, I feel left out!!

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

#565 Round #6 - No one hit me, I feel left out!!

Having removed the better front brakes from the SV and replacing them with the stock calipers and a brand new radial master, I was a little apprehensive about how I'd do. I found out that I made the right decision. Cliffs at the bottom.

Saturday:
    I did both practices to see if I could get back where I had left off two weeks ago, only to find myself running half a second faster in the second practice. I felt really optimistic about the weekend. The deal was that the front brake setup allowed me to brake in the same places, but since the braking was a little weaker, I was actually braking deeper. Less braking = better corner speed and better drive out.

Race #2: Amateur LWSB:
    I gridded second row, 2nd from the wall. I got a decent start and found myself in 5th going into T1. I tried to get around Kevin Fogg (449) a couple of times in the first lap, but he takes swooping lines and is hard to pass.

On the 2nd lap, I figured I'd take one of the 3 bikes in front of me in T3, since I had a further brake marker than I used to have, only to see Lorna Murphy (817) braking somewhat early and both Brian Cooner (501) and Kevin Fogg had to check up, as they were following her line. I took all 3 under braking and took off.

I spent the rest of the race trying to catch Dave Pang (910) and reeled in only a couple of bike lengths. I finished 2nd with my first ever amateur podium with a new personal best of 1:21.071 and running all 22's and 21's.

Race #6: Amateur LWGP:
    Gridded first row on the wall and got the best start I have ever had so far in amateur. I went into T1 in 3rd position, behind Dave Pang and Brian Cooner.

I knew Cooner braked earlier than I do in T3, so I decided to go for it on the outlap and it paid off. The rest of the race, I played cat and mouse with Pang, coming within 3 bike lengths of him a few times. I found that he was out-driving me in the corners, so I needed to assess this.

I ended up with another 2nd place, again with a new PB of 1:21.045 and all laps but the outlap in the 21's!

Sunday:
    I thought Sunday couldn't possibly top the day I had had on Saturday, well, I was right and I was wrong. Nothing special in the single practice session we had due to late fog and poor visibility postponing practice.

Race #2: Amateur GTL
    I was gridded 2nd row 2nd from the inside. I got a great start taking 3rd into T1, but a red flag caused us to regrid and eventually return to the paddocks due to ambulance delays.

Restart, I found myself in 5th in T1, but again, a red flag caused us to regrid. Keep in mind that the sun is beating and it is upwards of 85 degrees with extremely high humidity.

Restart #2 (after being informed that another red flag ends the race and the positions we would be in would be final), I find myself again in 5th going into T1 behind the usual suspects, Matt Gendron (879), Dave Pang, Brian Cooner, and Lorna Murphy. I tried taking Lorna in T3, but ran wide and she took the position back. I got back on her and took her on the brakes into T1 on lap 2, leaving a familiar scenario to take Cooner on the brakes into T3.

From this point, I was determined not to finish behind Pang in another race. I put my head down, ran some smart laps, and after a failed pass attempt in T2 on lap 5, I got him on the brakes in T3 on lap #6 and was ecstatic!

I didn't think I'd be able to catch Gendron, but something seemed to egg me on and I found myself reeling him in. On about lap 10, I got within 3 lengths of him, but a false neutral going into T1 forced me to straighten up and go through the grass to the edge of T1 and out onto the Nascar oval. I was surprised to see that I did not lose 2nd position, so I once again put my head down and charged.

Unfortunately, this was my undoing. With just over a minute to go, I took T3 a bit too fast and did not have enough counter-steering to make a clean turn. I ended up target fixating on the top edge of the new pavement where the "beach" used to be in T4 and ended up jumping the curb, causing a tankslapper, which started to recover, but as I regained grip on the bars, the front washed and I slid up the hill in T4. I became the final red flag, which ended the race.

The bad was my first crash inside of a race. The good was that I also clicked off 2 laps in the 20's, with a new PB of 1:20.466. The rest of the race was again in the 21's and 22's.

So, all in all a decent weekend. The bike wasn't damaged much. Just the usual crash parts for a lowside (brake pedal, bent rearset bracket, and some minor plastic rash). It's going to GMD, as this is the 3rd time I've lowsided it since owning it and it hasn't been for a measurement yet. I figured it was due. I'm just sore. Nothing broken, just a few bruises.

Cliffs:
    Sat:
    Race 2: Am LWSB, 2nd with new PB of 1:21.071
    Race 6: Am LWGP, 2nd with new PB of 1:21.045
    Sun:
    Race 2: Am GTL, DNF (crash) with a new PB of 1:20.466

Thanks to my sponsors, Woodcraft CFM, AMSOil, and All Balls Racing, my awesome wife, Annalisa, the guys on Team ECK, the RSP Racing Team, MTAG Pirelli, Tony's Track Days, and all the friends that helped or came out to see the races. You're all AWESOME!

BTW, on a different note, no one hit me this weekend. So, the tradition is over. (for good, hopefully)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by The Snowman; 09-05-11 at 06:58 AM.
    CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Re: #565 Round #6 - No one hit me, I feel left out!!

Sonofabitch! I need to find .2s again!
    Congrats on moving your ass, and that bike. Next round, try and keep the 2 together, on the track. Mmmmkay?

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Congrats on the new PB and the great finishes. That's awesome!

Congrats-I was the 2nd red flag.....I got taken out halfway to turn 1. Glad to hear you are okay!

AM#220

99 cbr 900 street
    02 sv 650 race

WTF...slow down!

Nice job man!

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Very nice Chuck. It sounds like your putting it all together nicely.

good job!

seriously though, slow down! now i need to find a second...nah how about 2

CCS/LRRS EX #226
    LOW DOWN RACING

Current stable:
    2008 hyper 1100
    2007 crf450r
    2009 yz450f
    2008 sikk mx 125 minimoto

Great job Chuck, I was watching from 3 and you looked great passing everyone there. The crash sucked and I am glad you "woke up" and were ok.

Great weekend buddy, and you are now faster than me.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Great job Chuck, I was watching from 3 and you looked great passing everyone there. The crash sucked and I am glad you "woke up" and were ok.

Great weekend buddy, and you are now faster than me.
    So, you saw the crash, eh? The funny thing is about it was that when I lost the front, the exact thought that came to my mind was, "this is going to hurt".

I really should have backed off and settled for 2nd. But I was gaining ground every lap and wanted that first 1st in Am REALLY bad. Guess it was an amateur mistake.

|

Quote Originally Posted by 07BladeRider View Post
    So, you saw the crash, eh? The funny thing is about it was that when I lost the front, the exact thought that came to my mind was, "this is going to hurt".

I really should have backed off and settled for 2nd. But I was gaining ground every lap and wanted that first 1st in Am REALLY bad. Guess it was an amateur mistake.
    Saw you wash the front and then you went behind the hill and I couldn't see you anymore, they said you were lying in the middle of the track and then "good morning, looks like he woke up"

I thought you might take first but also thought this is a GTL and I bet he is getting tired and shouldn't push too hard... a 2nd would have been nice.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Congrats Chuck, and nice to meet you. Glad to hear you're OK, we were packing up and saw the bus parked in T4 then heard it was you. Definitely not a good weekend for people hitting the deck, but a lot of new PBs this weekend, and you crushed yours! Now just need to bring the fast back in October and leave the rubber side down.

-Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

Oh, another shout out to Loudog at Mad Monkey Motorsports and the QStarz lap timer I grabbed from him this past week. It helped me drop another 1.2 seconds off my best lap time. (for a total of 5.4 seconds from round 1)

I did some analysis of my LWSB and LWGP races and applied what I viewed to the GTL race and it paid off. Now to do some further analysis.

|

good job Chuckles.

I think the nature of your crash makes up for the fact that you didn't get run over Chuck...ya crazy! Good times bro, keep at it, glad you are ok.

Last edited by MotoFreak; 09-06-11 at 10:29 AM.
    Carpe Diem
    '10 Yamaha R6-Race-
    '05 Aprilia Tuono Racing -Street-
    #46, Expert, CVMA -cvmaracing.com-

Lol @ the snowman.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

You dont know slow... PainfullySlow's Avatar

No more secrets for you! You are getting too close to my times now, time to figure shit out for yourself! :-p

Seriously well done this weekend, despite the off. As soon as you can find just a tad more consistency you will be sporting white plates for sure...then when Kent hits you at least it will be in the same bracket :-p

Quote Originally Posted by PainfullySlow View Post
    No more secrets for you! You are getting too close to my times now, time to figure shit out for yourself! :-p

Seriously well done this weekend, despite the off. As soon as you can find just a tad more consistency you will be sporting white plates for sure...then when Kent hits you at least it will be in the same bracket :-p
    I still haven't fully utilized all of the ones you've given me already.

I have some ideas where I may be able to drop into the teens. Just need bigger balls.

|

Quote Originally Posted by MotoFreak View Post
    I think the nature of your crash makes up for the fact that you didn't get run over Chuck...ya crazy! Good times bro, keep at it, glad you are ok.
    Yeah, I am not a fan of you coming to visit me during racing. You broke rule #1, man. And you did it by being passed out, which is equally not nice.

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

I wasn't passed out. I stayed flat, like they tell you to.

|

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Listen to the corner worker!!
    Excellent showing this weekend pit mate.

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Quote Originally Posted by The Snowman View Post
    I wasn't passed out. I stayed flat, like they tell you to.
    Ah, I see. I figured you bonked your noggin and by the time I got there had come to. My mistake. Either way, you still broke Rule #1.

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

How many laps are in a race? and what kind of bike snowman? I assume SV1000?

8 laps. 650

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

how he crashed on lap 10 then?

Oh, it was a 20 minute gt race. Otherwise all other races are 8 laps.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast