Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Pachaug State Forest 10/31/09

Pachaug State Forest 10/31/09

Sean called me midweek and asked if i'd be ready to ride Pachaug on Sunday, sure, shouldn't be a problem Farmers almanac Bob M said rain on Sunday, lets ride Saturday instead. Good enough, I'm there! Though i'm sure the group thought I would back out and not show

Saturday, I'm up at 7am gather my stuff and load the bike! I'm on the road by 8am and was on time at the Mt Misery parking area. Unload, gear up and we're on the trails within 15 minutes. Bob M, Sean, Leah and myself.
    We knew it was going to be a bit wet, and wow, the leaves sure were thick! We had decided to skip the powerline trail but the trail leading to it sure got the blood flowing quick. I won't confirm nor deny that I spent some time on the ground with the new bike

A little rest stop at Hell Hollow Rd

The puddles were huge, rutted and deep! I mentioned before I have a phobia of water? At least it was warm out today?
    We hadn't crossed 165 yet and there is a tricky little rock garden that always kicks my ass..more so today because it was wet, and covered with leaves. I just missed the good picture as Sean helped Leah get her bike out of a rut. I asked him if he could do it again, but said no

Once we hit the section across from 165, we came across several trail blocks. It was a dead pine forest and you could just lean on a tree and knock it over. While Bob and Sean were moving some trees, I decided to help by taking pictures

This one wasn't moving and we had to make a go around. We decided this was the spot to take a lunch rest.

Leah, what are you doing off the trail?

We also wanted to avoid the last big huge giant water crossing! Last time on that trail, I got more wet than I wanted to be and didn't want to do it again.
    Thinking we were out of the woods with the great big huge giant water crossings, I was a bit more relaxxed...then there it was...as far as I could see was water. I'm fucked! When someone else struggles in water, I crash in it Anyway, while I didn't fall off, my bike just quits. I'm thinking WTF (may have said it out load but I can't confirm nor deny that), it'd start for a second then die. Got it running and made it another 5-6 feet and it died again! One can only use their imagination as the word flowed out of my mouth. Finally Bob says, hey, all your carb vents are under water, that's why it won't start. I'm thinking to myself, yeah OK! With a little help, we got the bike out of the water just enough so the vents were clear...and it started. Thanks Bob

Needless to say, we did skip the biggest water crossing, and I'm sure with all the rain we've had, I'd still be there now setting up camp!

Good ride today for sure and as always, great company. I can feel the pain setting in from not riding like that in a while, I'm sure tomorrow will be worse. Good thing I'm staying home and raking leaves!

The bike wasn't as dirty as I thought it would be.

I spent about an hour giving the bike a bath. Once I was done air drying it with the leaf blower, water was running steady out of the skid plate? I knew there was some crap in there, but I had no idea just how much. I had no choice but to take it off and have a look. This thing honestly weighed 10lbs before I cleaned it!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.297 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.1.20.0)

Awesome pictorial description.

Re: Pachaug State Forest 10/31/09

rock and roll....sounds like a great day

great pics and nice description of the trails, but....how did the WR do? how was it over the YZ in the woods?

Quote Originally Posted by Bhavesh View Post
    rock and roll....sounds like a great day

great pics and nice description of the trails, but....how did the WR do? how was it over the YZ in the woods?
    Night and day is the best way to describe it. I love riding the YZ and that bike for sure makes/made me a better rider. The WR is sprung much better for the woods, has the wide ratio gearbox that works best for woods, E-start...huge bonus, and that all important kickstand.
    I softened all the clickers on the forks and rear shock and it seemed pretty good. The power seems soft compared to the 525 I had, but the bike is still restricted as the kit is on backorder. Even restricted, still has more power than I can use.
    So far I'm happy and impressed with it...even though I called it some bad things today at times

Yamaha

Tully, I saw your twin today at the mobil/Chucky's on 138 in voluntown today. WR all street legal, and he had the same exact build as you, glasses, etc.. Lisa and I were yelling your name at the guy, but he looked a little confused... Then I saw a CT plate.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Tully, I saw your twin today at the mobil/Chucky's on 138 in voluntown today. WR all street legal, and he had the same exact build as you, glasses, etc.. Lisa and I were yelling your name at the guy, but he looked a little confused... Then I saw a CT plate.
    That is sometimes a gas stop when riding Pachaug. No bike for me today
    What were you doing in my neck of the woods?

Yamaha

I roll through there every weekend to go surfing at Deep Hole. It's been great for the last six weekends or so.

Paul_E_D