Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Boots

Re: Boots

You guys with "Wide" feet should state your shoe size.

I wear 12EE and tried every standard boot I could find that people said fit wide feet. Their "wide" must be different than EE because they weren't even close. I tried several different AlpineStars and TCX. My foot well overlapped the edges.

I bought all three of the real motorcycle boots available as wide - Sidi Mega Way, Sidi Vertigo Mega, and Daytona RoadStar GTX. I kept the RoadStar and Vertigo. The [now $250] Mega Way didn't seem to have much in the way of protection at all.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Why Lie? It Was Me.... HO-HUM-R1's Avatar

I wear Sidi ST's and love them. They ran about 400 bux, but they are super protective, comfortable on and off the bike, and well vetilated. Plus they don't squeak at all.

Spend the money on quality boots... you won't regret it. Most of us wouldn't think twice about spending the same money on something cool for the bike.

2006 Yamaha R1, Graves Full Exhaust, BST Carbon Fiber Wheels, K&N Air Filter, EGR Blockoffs, Factory Pro Velocity Stacks, Power Commander 5, Stealth 520 Conversion -1/+1, FP levers, Ohlins shock, Ohlins fg327 forks, Ohlins steering damper, Sato racing rearsets, Goodridge SS shadow brakelines, EBC Extreme pads, Braking SK wave rotors F&R. few other appearance mods.

Full Tilt - Full Time Trackday Guru's Avatar

I'll be in Sidi St Air Boots this year.

The difference in protection between a good pair of quality boots and an off-the-rack-pair-at-Walmart is like the difference between genius and stupidity. As Einstein said; genius has its limits.

Don't skimp on quality trying to save a couple hundred bucks. You're on a racetrack for Chrissake. Spend the money and (continue to) walk away happy.

Good luck.

Mike
    Am #124

With all the reading I am doing I keep coming back to the Sidi Cobra Air boots.

Anyone have experience with them?

'02 F4i

The cobras are their entry level boot and meant for cruising and basic riding. They don't offer near as much ankle protection and lack the outer shell of the higher end boots. Really when it comes to picking boots you have to decide what kind of riding your gonna do and how likely you think it is that you're gonna fall down if you're just cruisin around, your probablly gonna be okay in the cobras or something like them if your out really pushing the bike and you think it's likely that at some point your probably gonna take a slide then your gonna wanna spend the money on getting something with more protection.

Also don't forget that you're gonna get a few years out of a good pair of boots. It helps to justify the cost of 'em

2006 Yamaha R1, Graves Full Exhaust, BST Carbon Fiber Wheels, K&N Air Filter, EGR Blockoffs, Factory Pro Velocity Stacks, Power Commander 5, Stealth 520 Conversion -1/+1, FP levers, Ohlins shock, Ohlins fg327 forks, Ohlins steering damper, Sato racing rearsets, Goodridge SS shadow brakelines, EBC Extreme pads, Braking SK wave rotors F&R. few other appearance mods.

I was in the dilemma when I was looking for boots. I started out with A* smx's and I couldn't stand them in every way imaginable. After giving up on A* I moved to Sidi and originally wanted their entry level boot, but when I was comparing the Cobra's to the St's there really wasn't any question as to which ones offered better protection. I spent the extra coin for the ST's and I couldn't be happier. They are wicked comfortable on and off the bike and break in period was one 2 hour ride.
    As said before spend the extra cash on a quality boot you will not regret it.

Shannon

For daily riding I've been using the Icon Superduty series for a few years.

Currently in Gen 4 (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...y-4-Boots.aspx), they offer more protection than a standard workboot (they aren't steel toes) by having a steel shank, as well as reinforcement for the ankles. They have a latch that keeps them on if there is a spill, and "nubs" on the top of the toe that help with wear from the shifter. They are comfortable enough to wear around all day as well.

My biggest criticism of them is that they are "thick", but if you are used to standard workboots, they probably aren't any thicker than that. If you are used to a more "track style" boot, they'll feel about 6' tall :-).

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    For daily riding I've been using the Icon Superduty series for a few years.

Currently in Gen 4 (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...y-4-Boots.aspx), they offer more protection than a standard workboot (they aren't steel toes) by having a steel shank, as well as reinforcement for the ankles. They have a latch that keeps them on if there is a spill, and "nubs" on the top of the toe that help with wear from the shifter. They are comfortable enough to wear around all day as well.

My biggest criticism of them is that they are "thick", but if you are used to standard workboots, they probably aren't any thicker than that. If you are used to a more "track style" boot, they'll feel about 6' tall :-).
    So you are saying you wear heels?

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Now I get to show my ignorance: Why? What's wrong with a well fitting boot that goes over the ankle? Why does one have to buy a motorcycle specific boot to get protection? At what point are we looking at diminishing returns?

I'm a decent guy. (Usually.) No need to go to town on me with some passive agressive fun. Just set me straight.

I wear a pair of Timberlands when I ride. I'm about to get a new pair because I have worn the old pair out and get a pretty considerable discount on 'em, they are comfortable, and I can wear them around work.

My only problem has been wearing them out. I blew through my current left boot because the shifter falls just behind the steel toe cup. The steel actually wore through the leather. Damned shame too 'cause they were decent looking boots.
    Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    I'm with you this one, I'm sure there's better protection to be had, but I figure the combat boots I've been buying for years are pretty rugged and I've never had a foot injury in the 6 times I've been down on a street bike, or countless times I've been down off-road. I already spend enough money on shoes every year from all the walking/hiking I do now...

The shifter wears out my boots as well.
    motorcycle boots are made for the demands of motorcycling. work boots are made for work but are also made to be replaced fairly often (I still can't find a pair that will stand up to even 1 year of use at work). You can't expect to use the wrong product for the job and get good results.

$100 a year for work boots every year vs $200-$500 for motorcycle specific boots for 5-10 years of use. yeah I think the math it pretty easy on that one.

Last edited by CBR929RE; 03-27-12 at 11:55 PM.

Comparing work boots to riding boots is no diffferent than comparing your wilsons leather jacket to a proper riding jacket...

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by HO-HUM-R1 View Post
    Comparing work boots to riding boots is no diffferent than comparing your wilsons leather jacket to a proper riding jacket...
    Or is it?

'02 F4i

Lifer

I personally don't share your experience of replacing work boots worn for motorcycle use every year. I often get 5+ years out of them, even using them around the house doing yard work and home improvement projects. I don't work construction or anything, so YMMV.

My current pair are on the order of 2-3 years old and are fine except for the cut at the shifter. This is the first time I've had a boot fail like that; the steel toe cup and the shifter on my 'strom line up just right to make this an issue here. I have a pair of red wings I bought over a decade ago that could (should) be resoled to go another decade.

Work boots are designed to protect your feet from abrasion, impact and heat. They are designed to provide support to the ankle. Most have many of the features you all are looking for; steel shanks, tall ankle protection, anti-slip soles, etc. Many are waterproof. Some are insulated.

I still don't get what's so dramatically different. The replaceable sliders for you track nuts I get. But most of us rarely drag our toes/feet. It is a good day when I drag a peg feeler.

Also, the soles look and feel incredibly thin. Isn't this a problem if you walk around once you get where you're going? Don't you wear through the soles quickly?

I've been fortunate to never crash. (Knocking on wood.) So maybe I have my head up my ass. But I just don't see the value here. Seems like a style thing.

Last edited by nhbubba; 03-28-12 at 06:16 AM.

I look at it like this... Say you're riding along in your work boots and coming around a corner and you low side, the bike is going to land on your inside leg and ankle crushing down on it. A leather work boot provides no protection for the lateral pressure. Your big sticky sole is then going to grab at the asphalt snapping your foot around whichever way it chooses, whether it be twisting it around backwards or hyper-extending it around to touch your calf, again none of which will be prevented by a work boot. About the only thing you may be protected from is road rash.

Riding boots are designed to withstand the weight of the bike falling on you, and then easy slide, to keep your foot from "digging in". If your foot does happen to catch traction and try to bend your ankle completely out of sorts, the riding boot literally stops your foot from being able to go too far in any direction. Not to mention they offer better feel for the bikes controls, and can be re-soled pretty cheap.

I don't really care enough about what other people choose to wear to keep debating about it.. I'll ride with you either way, wear what you want, but anyone that knows the differences and why they matter will buy riding boots.

Sorry to the OP for going off topic about whether or not boots are necessary. You asked for advise on which set to buy, so you obviously already know the benefits.

HHHMMMMMMMM..................

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Think Im gonna go with Sidi Cobra Airs.

If I win my March Madness pool I'll spend the extra dough for the Sidi ST Airs.

'02 F4i

I'm still waiting for my birthday (wife is going to buy me the boots), but I'm going with the TCX S-Sportour boots, mainly because my feet are so damn big and wide (13W FTL).

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

For those Sidi guys, do the ST's run close to normal size or have the typical Sidi narrowness? Or know of motorcycle shops in NH that carry Sidi?

I think seacoast carries sidi stuff... The width works fine for me but i don't consider my feet extra wide..

Yes they run close to size. I have a 11.5 sneaker and the sames goes for my Sidi ST's. Once they broke in they feel great. And yes Seacoast carries Sidi that's where I bought mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Yknot View Post
    For those Sidi guys, do the ST's run close to normal size or have the typical Sidi narrowness? Or know of motorcycle shops in NH that carry Sidi?

Shannon

One thing I can vouch for with the Sidi's is their customer service. I had an issue with a pair that were a bit over a year old, they were forming on crack in the leather. I took a picture and sent it to them. Within a week I had a brand new pair at no charge.

Pretty sure Seacoast is the only one around that does carry Sidi.

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

Thanks guys, way too much to spend to not try on. Seacoast is right around the corner from me so bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by HO-HUM-R1 View Post
    The cobras are their entry level boot and meant for cruising and basic riding. They don't offer near as much ankle protection and lack the outer shell of the higher end boots.
    They offer just a little more protection, IMO as the SMX5's I tried on that everyone seems to rave about. I went with the standard Cobras over the SMX5 because of the midfoot armor plate. I didn't get the Air because I do occasionally have to ride in the rain, and I do ride into the low 40s. The standard ones are NOT waterproof, but they are water "resistant". My feet eventually got wet, but not soaked. They aren't really that hot, except on the hottest of days.

I did have to add an extra insole to take up some of the space above my arches. I comfortably wear Adidas Superstar 3G sneakers in US9 1/2, but I got size 42 Cobras.

Last edited by golden chicken; 03-28-12 at 09:49 PM.
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

they are a nice boot, i looked at them as well. good note for the sizing... Wear an 11 in pretty much everything and the 45 fit me

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    So you are saying you wear heels?
    If you've never seen a 6" stiletto in a size 12, they are quite a sit to see :-)

Anyone got suggestions for a mid cut boot? Ive got Sidi Vertigo Corsas for the track, but as a street boot they are too high up my leg.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast