Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Boots

Re: Boots

I never realized Seacoast was so close...I always thought it was on the sea coast. Go figure.

Guess I'll have to swing by and find a pair for myself too.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Astars are my choice.....sidi's have too much shit on them

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    I never realized Seacoast was so close...I always thought it was on the sea coast. Go figure.
    Same. Considering I live on the seacoast and Derry is a ~1 hour ride. Fortunately it isn't that far out of my way on my way home from work.

Tax free too. Compared to some other options.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigman View Post
    Astars are my choice.....sidi's have too much shit on them
    I can get down with that opinion. The complexity of the turn buckles on the Sidi Adventures turned me off as well. Doesn't seem like something I'd want to live with every day. It took two of us to get my foot into the Adventure. Patricia deserves a raise for having to get that close to my foot.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lol I felt the same when I was boot shopping there . I came in a after a 10 hour shift from the machine shop in my big work boots. I felt so bad for poor pat. I ended up with the smx plus after all was said and done. They had more arch support than the tcx's. If I had been getting them for track only I would have gone with the tcxs in a heartbeat though.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveZX6r View Post
    Lol I felt the same when I was boot shopping there . I came in a after a 10 hour shift from the machine shop in my big work boots. I felt so bad for poor pat. I ended up with the smx plus after all was said and done. They had more arch support than the tcx's. If I had been getting them for track only I would have gone with the tcxs in a heartbeat though.
    Good to know since I'm flatfooted. Sounds like a pair of TCX's will be perfect for me.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Dave, I'm rather curious about the machine shop thing. Where do you work? I ask because my day job might have me visiting you if I haven't already done so....

Ping me off-list?

Ken M.

2021 Triumph Street Triple R, Sapphire Black

You should be good then. Another thing about the tcx's is the sole and foot bed were alot thinner than the a stars, I had a pair of oxtars that I replaced with my plus' and the amount of feel I used to get thru those boots was noticably better than my astars. They also had more fredom of movement than my astars, since they rely alot more on the external suport structure for protection, and felt alot less thick and bulky. Hence my track only coment.

Lifer

Tell me about break in. I got my new boots Tuesday. Have worn them around the living room a couple times. The toe is much tighter than I remember in the store. Can't decide if it is too tight or not. The pair I tried on in the store were loaners and had been worn, hence us having to order them and me not getting them until Tuesday.

These things have a pretty hefty toe cup. Will it still loosen up like street shoes?

The toe cups don't really loosen up much. The surrounding material may stretch so that the toe cup is in a different location making ity more comfy though. Tight is a relative term. Are they too short. Too narrow etc. Also there is going to be a significant difference in how they feel walking as opposed to riding.

My smx plus are like heaven while roding for hours. Walking can't stand them after like 10 minutes.

My smx plus are like heaven while roding for hours. Walking can't stand them after like 10 minutes.
    Really? I teach in my SMX Plus boots, which requires 8-10 hours a day wearing them. They are wicked comfortable for walking and standing IMO. And I normally wear ankle socks with them.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Lifer

They crowd the pinky toes a bit. I do not remember them doing so in the store at all. I can move my toes, so the length is fine. Its width all the way. I can actually move my foot forward and backwards in the heal cup a little. I remember being able to lift my heal in the next size up. That's no good.

Each time I put them on they feel better than the last. I'm convinced it is break in.

They are super comfortable. Once the upper breaks in a little I don't see why I won't be able to walk in them. The sole is a little thin and so I feel every bump in the surface I'm standing on. And they tilt you forward a bit onto the balls of your feet. They aren't hiking boots... but they aren't unbearable to stand/walk in either.

I tried on the pair of TCX S-Sportours they had yesterday and I love them! Now I just need to get them in my size...of course they didn't have a 47 in the store.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

I just ordered a pair of these.
    I am hopeful that they will fit well and be truly waterproof.
    http://www.compacc.com/p/Cortech-Lat...oots-Road-Race

Sam

Lifer

Those Cortechs look like such a great deal. Very similar to the TCX's I bought in so many ways.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    They crowd the pinky toes a bit.
    Some times I'm a fuggin' wuss.

Threw on an extra pair of socks (it's kinda chilly out there) and rode to town to re-up my registration. Boots feel great. Really strange to have that much 'feel' of the controls.

But far more important: I discovered a new Thai restaurant in town!

Quote Originally Posted by gadget View Post
    I just ordered a pair of these.
    I am hopeful that they will fit well and be truly waterproof.
    http://www.compacc.com/p/Cortech-Lat...oots-Road-Race
    Thanks a lot ya jerk, now I have to go find somewhere to try on the Cortechs

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Just got a pair of black on black Cortech Latigo Air (regular, not the waterproof version). They were on backorder on most sites, but bikebandit had them available - it was risky, though, because their return policy includes a hefty restocking fee.

Anyways, I haven't ridden with them yet, but I walked around the house (and to/from a nearby pizza place) with them for about an hour. My initial thoughts:

- they are really light (compared to the over-the-ankle dress boots I was wearing - kind of like doc martins);

- they have a decent amount of hard ankle armor (although I actually wish it restricted lateral motion a little bit more);

- the sole is grippy and thinner than most sneakers (it will probably feel strange on the shifter/rear brake);

- they have a slight forward lean, but nothing crazy;

- I have wide feet and the boot felt fine (although it did press on my pinky toe a little bit);

- a normal pair of bootcut jeans fit over pretty easily;

- no one gave them a second look (although if anyone actually took a second look, they would definitely notice the toe armor);

- for the price, I definitely think they're a pretty good deal.

So I just got a pair of TCX S-Sportours in 48 (size 13). I love them so far - very comfortable (I wore them to class for 4 hours yesterday without a problem), not overly aggressive, decently roomy, armor has proved effective already when touching my toe down through a corner.

Only thing I've noticed which is slightly annoying is that the toe box is a bit tight, and my small toe is a little too crammed for space. Is this normal in a racey style boot? Is there any way to stretch the end out a bit? I stuck my hand in the end to see if there was any give on the outside and it was very reinforced (where the toe slider attaches to the boot), so I'm not sure if they will stretch there at all.

Any suggestions?

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Lifer

I have nearly the same complaint with the S-Races I bought; toe box is a bit tight. Meanwhile the heel cup fits perfectly.

They were almost too much when I first got them, but have broken in nicely. Now I only notice it every now and then. I've noticed a quick bump of my heel against the peg and it shifts my foot just a bit and all is well again.

So yes, I would say they will break in a little, despite the reinforcements.

I am growing to really like the TCXes. I have shoes stashed at work now, so I do not wear them around work. But I have worn them through grocery stores and shopping, etc. However I would not want to wear them hiking. So far no complaints. Once tucked under my pant leg the styling is subdued enough to not really get noticed. Although they squeak like a mother!

Last edited by nhbubba; 06-13-12 at 08:57 AM.

Good to hear they'll break in a bit. I actually did notice that they were slowly getting a bit more loose over the week I've had them, hopefully they'll ease off a bit further yet.

And mine haven't made a sound yet thankfully. I think the S-Sportours have less plastic parts, so hopefully mine won't make any noise.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I have nearly the same complaint with the S-Races I bought; toe box is a bit tight. Meanwhile the heel cup fits perfectly.

They were almost too much when I first got them, but have broken in nicely. Now I only notice it every now and then. I've noticed a quick bump of my heel against the peg and it shifts my foot just a bit and all is well again.

So yes, I would say they will break in a little, despite the reinforcements.

I am growing to really like the TCXes. I have shoes stashed at work now, so I do not wear them around work. But I have worn them through grocery stores and shopping, etc. However I would not want to wear them hiking. So far no complaints. Once tucked under my pant leg the styling is subdued enough to not really get noticed. Although they squeak like a mother!
    Ahhh yes the squeak hahaha. My A-stars SMX+ did that.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Lifer

Yes, way less plastic. But then they look like they have less ankle protection too. Typical trade off.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345