Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Buying a used Monster 696 - indicator on dashboard

Question Buying a used Monster 696 - indicator on dashboard

Hi all, I'm brand new to these forums but after reading through some posts thought you all might be able to help. I found a used 2009 Monster 696 for sale on Craigslist from a private party who lives nearby. I spoke to him on the phone and it sounds like he took great care of the bike. The pictures look good as well. I plan tomorrow to go see the bike in person.

It has 1450 miles and he said he did the 600 mile oil change himself. I'm not sure if there's any way to prove this so I'm guessing I'll have to take his word for it. He said because of this the wrench icon on the dashboard is lit. He said that the dealer has the computer to turn it off but it comes on at the 600 mile mark reminding the owner to change the oil.

Question: Is this true and is there any way for me to tell if this light is on for any other reason? What would you do in this situation if you were the buyer?

This will be my first Ducati.

Thanks

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Re: Buying a used Monster 696 - indicator on dashboard

Won't him doing the service himself have voided the factory warranty?? If that's the case, which I believe it is, I'd walk away.

Quote Originally Posted by DesmoTull View Post
    Won't him doing the service himself have voided the factory warranty?? If that's the case, which I believe it is, I'd walk away.
    It's illegal to require that in the US. I'm sure if you browse the Duc forums, there's a way to turn it off.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by UngaWunga View Post
    It's illegal to require that in the US.
    Sure about that??

P-m'd ya bud

Lifer

LOL, Wikipedia.

From the link above: "The federal minimum standards for full warranties are waived if the warrantor can show that the problem associated with a warranted consumer product was caused by damage while in the possession of the consumer, or by unreasonable use, including a failure to provide reasonable and necessary maintenance."

I've owned 3 Ducatis, and have done all the work myself. I fully understand the *significant* savings that can be had by doing services yourself. However, when a bike, or any vehicle is under warranty, just take it to them. I feel you're being penny wise, pound foolish if you do it yourself.

If he can't at lease produce slips showing he bought the oil & filter, I'd be concerned.

Last edited by DesmoTull; 07-09-10 at 02:25 PM.

Hey, I read it on the innernet, so it must be true. First link that popped up.

The Magnuson-Moss Act is usually quoted when talking about oil changes. You are not required to go to the dealer for that. As long as SOMEONE satisfies the conditions of the warranty, you're covered. So yes, you need to keep receipts to make sure its covered.

If you're concerned, bring the bike to a dealer.

A quick search brought up some interesting things to read.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that it's just a matter of jumping a plug in order to reset that light.

Hypertarded

Not here to argue warranties or tell you to buy this bike, just my Duc experience, I did the 1st service(actually 2 oil changes by 600 miles) myself on my brand new Hyper and just had warranty work done on it 3 weeks ago with no issues.

and here's how you turn the service light off, if you plan on doing your own maint. it's worth the $200 in my opinion: http://www.technoresearch.com/Produc...ke_Pricing.htm

Give Charles or Kyle a call at Seacoast Sport Cycle...(603) 437-5656
    ...they'll give you the straight scoop.

Sounds like a great deal to me!

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamF View Post
    It has 1450 miles and he said he did the 600 mile oil change himself. I'm not sure if there's any way to prove this so I'm guessing I'll have to take his word for it. He said because of this the wrench icon on the dashboard is lit. He said that the dealer has the computer to turn it off but it comes on at the 600 mile mark reminding the owner to change the oil.

Question: Is this true and is there any way for me to tell if this light is on for any other reason? What would you do in this situation if you were the buyer?
    Yes, the little wrench icon does come on at 621 miles (1000 km) automatically to remind the owner that the first service is due. It doesn't indicate any other issues, if I recall correctly. According to my Hypermotard manual, it does mention that a Ducati dealer can remove the icon for you.

There is a separate light that indicates engine issues.

Me no likey crash

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

New England Duc forum:

http://nedoc.org/

And don't believe everything you think.

Thanks everyone for all the replies so quickly. As far as the warranty goes, he said he bought the bike just about two years ago so the warranty isn't much of a factor anyway. He believes it'll run out at the end of this month. What was the earliest someone could buy a 2009 696 in 2008? I see posts online from the Aug 2008 of reviews but wondering when consumers could first pick one up. There should be a few months of warranty left I would think.

In looking through the manual it looks like that indicator comes on when the bike needs service. It doesn't say that it represents an issue. Now, I'm not sure what they define as "service". If there was some other issue with the bike does that mean "service". I tend to think it just means scheduled service.

I'm on ducatimonsterforum.org but didn't know about nedoc.org. Thanks.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
    Not here to argue warranties or tell you to buy this bike, just my Duc experience, I did the 1st service(actually 2 oil changes by 600 miles) myself on my brand new Hyper and just had warranty work done on it 3 weeks ago with no issues.

and here's how you turn the service light off, if you plan on doing your own maint. it's worth the $200 in my opinion: http://www.technoresearch.com/Produc...ke_Pricing.htm
    In the list of supported models it shows the 695 but not 696. Will it work with the 696?

http://www.technoresearch.com/Manual...MasterList.PDF