Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

It's been done before, but I'm doing it again! My Custom GPS Project :-)

It's been done before, but I'm doing it again! My Custom GPS Project :-)

Hello, and welcome!

I love riding more than I love my mother. Ok, I may have gone a little far with that one, but I do love riding more than I ever thought I would. Best of all I love going on long rides; the problem is (or was) I have (had) no way of going on an enjoyable long ride without having a map strapped to my tank....the following is my solution to my very simple problem. Enjoy!

These are the materials I used for my project. I did not use the threadlocker or the silicone glue... I'm not really sure why I included them in this picture. The tubing I got from home depot, as well as the really long screw you see there and the washers and nut. The 1" ball I got from ram-mount (I love ram-mount).

I cut the screw long enough to go through the steering column hole and not cause any issues. I also stuck that screw through the tubing in order to keep it in place. Luckily for me the tubing was perfect in size; the screw was able to go through it with a little effort, and it was touching the walls of the steering column without being too tight.

Once I tightened the nut I figured out that the pressure of the nut against the tubing actually made the tubing push outwards and tighten up inside of the steering column. This worked out perfectly because I no longer had to use a washer at the top of the column....

I also wired in a cigarette lighter plug, which I got from powerlet (I also love powerlet). It would be impossible for me to go on long rides without having my GPS constantly being powered. I opted to go with a cigarette lighter plug to USB adapter so I could have a short cable going from the GPS to the plug. I was unable to find a short USB-to-cigarette lighter cable; if you know where I can get such a product (1.5 feet), please let me know.

This is the final product. I got the bracket for the GPS and the arm to connect to the ball from ram-mount.

As a final note, I went with the Garmin Nuvi 755t specifically because you can create custom routes on it. It's very easy to do using google maps. I've gone on at least 5 250 + mile long rides and the GPS did it's job flawlessly. Thanks for reading! Feel free to drop a comment and tell me what you think.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2009 Triumph Daytona 675

Re: It's been done before, but I'm doing it again! My Custom GPS Project :-)

awesome pup!

Lol that "long screw" you bought is called threaded rod. Well done though, awesome write up.

This is my Zumo mounted on a double mount stem mount from techmount. I never would have thought to come up with the bolt that you did- and it probably cost you way less than me too- the gps cradle mount is hardwired for power, and so is the radar detector- both removable to come in my truck with me.

Only leave for tomorrow that which you are willing to die having left undone... ~chinese fortune cookie~

2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE Silver
    2005 Suzuki SV1000S Red

Hey Junior! Great job dude! I love the pup!

That is one cool looking pup! Oh, and the GPS looks good too...

Thats very inventive! Nicely done, I will be looking into that route tonight on the Falco. I had something lined up for an idea, but like the location and your idea far more!

Thanks for the post!
    Nice job and cute puppy!

Rides: 13 Hyperstada, 09 SFV650, 97 CBR 900RR
    www.tailofthedragon.com
    RIP A.B. RIP BEET, I Ride in Leathers because I would rather sweat than Bleed...

2 things:

- no vibration issues?
    - is that a baby shepard?

Awesome....on the install, the bike, and especially the pup.

But good luck with long rides and a 675...anything over 400miles and I wanna shoot myself, pulling over to check a map is a well needed rest.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by boloson View Post
    2 things:

- no vibration issues?
    - is that a baby shepard?
    Thanks for the replies guys. To answer your question - no vibration issues whatsoever. That baby stays put once I tighten the arm up. I don't know if the vibration will cause damage to the GPS in the long run, I guess I'll just have to wait it out and see.

As for the second question, I have no idea. My roommates friend was over and brought his puppy, so I snapped a pic. So goddamn cute though, wish it was mine... even though I'm allergic

2009 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    Awesome....on the install, the bike, and especially the pup.

But good luck with long rides and a 675...anything over 400miles and I wanna shoot myself, pulling over to check a map is a well needed rest.

The longest ride I've been on so far has been about 340 miles this season. About 10 hours of riding (with breaks of course). I found that the only part of me that ached was my arse. I have the upgraded gel seat, but even so, my ass was killing me! Back and wrist were fine... I swear that bike was made specifically for me. Hope you love your Daytona as much as I do!

2009 Triumph Daytona 675

Slick idea man! One of the better ways i've seen to mount a GPS so far.

http://www.yetiskis.com
    hand built, bamboo skis.

I have a garmin mounted on mine also.. The usb cords tend to rot out though pretty quick

This idea will work on my bike so I will probably piece everything I need together next week at lowes! I already have a mount.

I may cheat a little and have a nut welded to the back side of the tripple tree center cap base to add a little strength and only require one nut and washer at the base of the lower tripple with rubber washers also there to dampen the virbrations!

Thanks for the idea!

www.tailofthedragon.com
    RIP A.B. RIP BEET, I Ride in Leathers because I would rather sweat than Bleed...

Great Idea, looks good. I said I would never put a gps on the bike, but the idea is tempting.

That's cuz you know what happens when you ride-by-gps, jeff.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

You gotta hook me up Junior!

Professor of Philosphy Cerberus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wego72587 View Post
    I opted to go with a cigarette lighter plug to USB adapter so I could have a short cable going from the GPS to the plug. I was unable to find a short USB-to-cigarette lighter cable; if you know where I can get such a product (1.5 feet), please let me know.
    best buy sells RocketFish brand USB cables .. i have one i bought from them the other day with a USB mini on one end, and includes an adapter for USB micro.
    it is about 18 inches long.

Get out while you can

Find your own path

A buddy at work just took my center plate from my tripple tree that is basicly just a decrotive cover plate.

He is going to fabricate a new plate with a tapped hole for the M10 ram mount that will bolt right in!

Just not sure how long he will take?

This will be the base mount that threads into the plate!
    http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResu...5/Default.aspx

www.tailofthedragon.com

I'm glad I've inspired some new projects!

Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
    best buy sells RocketFish brand USB cables .. i have one i bought from them the other day with a USB mini on one end, and includes an adapter for USB micro.
    it is about 18 inches long.
    Is this the product you speak of?

$40 is a little pricey, but I'd probably bite the bullet. The USB adapter tends to get loose and I'll lose power on the GPS for half a second, which is just enough time for the GPS to restart. The issue is, the GPS is not meant to be powered by the USB connection, it has a separate connector for charging. Whenever I connect the to the USB connector, even if its just for power, the GPS thinks it's connected to a computer so it becomes unusable for about 10 seconds before it realizes that it is not.

2009 Triumph Daytona 675

Professor of Philosphy Cerberus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wego72587 View Post
    I'm glad I've inspired some new projects!

Is this the product you speak of?

$40 is a little pricey, but I'd probably bite the bullet. The USB adapter tends to get loose and I'll lose power on the GPS for half a second, which is just enough time for the GPS to restart. The issue is, the GPS is not meant to be powered by the USB connection, it has a separate connector for charging. Whenever I connect the to the USB connector, even if its just for power, the GPS thinks it's connected to a computer so it becomes unusable for about 10 seconds before it realizes that it is not.
    nope, this one from rocket fish's own site I use for charging my phone on my desk without having tons of extra cable length to deal with looping up or whatever.

why are you not using the connector that it is designed to by powered by?

i'm sure you can engineer a way to ensure better contact for the usb adapter so you don't get power hiccups..

Last edited by Cerberus; 06-17-10 at 10:36 AM.
    Get out while you can

Find your own path

Quote Originally Posted by Half Squid View Post
    A buddy at work just took my center plate from my tripple tree that is basicly just a decrotive cover plate.

He is going to fabricate a new plate with a tapped hole for the M10 ram mount that will bolt right in!

Just not sure how long he will take?

This will be the base mount that threads into the plate!
    http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResu...5/Default.aspx
    I use Napoleon style bar end mirrors, so I use the mirror threads to mount two of these Ram-mount balls. Super convenient, one holds my GPS and the other is for a radio when I need it.

My latest mantra for MA cage drivers
    -- "The rocks in your brain are the gravel in my path" --