Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

inline 4 jap to a duc 848??

inline 4 jap to a duc 848??

for those who switched from an inline jap bike to an 848....

- was it a huge difference?
    - handling?
    - maintenance?
    - would u stick to a twin because of this bike?
    - any regrets?

all reviews on youtube sux & bike specific forums are biased so nesr would be the best place to ask.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Re: inline 4 jap to a duc 848??

I'll start by saying I don't have an 848, but I did just get a Monster 696 and was lucky enough to keep my FZ6 (Thank you wife!!!!). The FZ is my "practical bike" - more comfortable, smoother, great for two up, has a large trunk for food shopping, etc...The Monster twin with Termi pipes sounds much nicer than the FZ. The riding position is less comfortable/more sporty, but the handling is light and the torque is great. The looks - I think Italians got this one for sure. I like the looks of the FZ6 with the underseat exhaust, but there is something about Ducatis that is utterly sexy! I drool when I look at my Monster. I admire my FZ6. I think a lot of what I said can be applied to an 848 say compared to a GSXR750. The Suzuki will be more comfortable, smoother and likely more reliable if you keep the bike for a very long time. That being said, the Ducati is sexier looking (in my opinion), has gobs more torque, and probably would have an edge on the track if you desire taking such expensive machinery there. In general, I think the 848 is a relative bargain compared to the more expensive Ducati supersports. If you ride occasionally and just for fun I would get the Ducati. I ride daily to work on my Yamaha and keep my monster for more fun rides.

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Quote Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
    I'll start by saying I don't have an 848, but I did just get a Monster 696 and was lucky enough to keep my FZ6 (Thank you wife!!!!). The FZ is my "practical bike" - more comfortable, smoother, great for two up, has a large trunk for food shopping, etc...The Monster twin with Termi pipes sounds much nicer than the FZ. The riding position is less comfortable/more sporty, but the handling is light and the torque is great. The looks - I think Italians got this one for sure. I like the looks of the FZ6 with the underseat exhaust, but there is something about Ducatis that is utterly sexy! I drool when I look at my Monster. I admire my FZ6. I think a lot of what I said can be applied to an 848 say compared to a GSXR750. The Suzuki will be more comfortable, smoother and likely more reliable if you keep the bike for a very long time. That being said, the Ducati is sexier looking (in my opinion), has gobs more torque, and probably would have an edge on the track if you desire taking such expensive machinery there. In general, I think the 848 is a relative bargain compared to the more expensive Ducati supersports. If you ride occasionally and just for fun I would get the Ducati. I ride daily to work on my Yamaha and keep my monster for more fun rides.
    Nice little comparison, I've been dying to get a duc...looks like I'll have to get two bikes now.

http://www.facebook.com/#/profile.ph...&id=1185417660

Live life now!....it has an expiration date!

Friendship is like peeing in your pants,
    Everyone can see it,
    But only you can feel the true warmth.

Had a bunch of I4s before getting my first Duc - an ST2. Biggest problem was that I kept hitting the rev limiter for the first couple days. After becoming used to the way an Ltwin delivers power, the low and mid range torque, I never looked back.

That's not a universal experience however. I know one person that had a beautifully sorted 900SS, built out for the track. She simply never got comfortable however and ended up going back to a 600 - Kawi, I believe.

The 848 is, arguably, the most beautiful motorcyle available today to mere mortals. Talk to Solgirl and Cheese....they both still have I4s AND 848s!!!

Last edited by DucDave; 07-02-10 at 08:20 AM.
    "A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

I was in a similar situation...again not the same.

Switched from my cbr600rr to the d675.

I always told myself my next bike would be a twin, but I fell in love with the 675 the second I saw it.

I consider the 675 and the 848 similar in the respects to they both have low end, obviously more for the 848, and both are 2 of the most beautiful bikes you can buy.

Get ready for:

-Having low end power
    -Not being able to do 75 in first gear
    -Front wheel getting light much easier
    -Everytime you see your bike it makes your day

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

I have had many inlines growing up in CA "Newport Beach" and loved each one of them, but nothing compares to my 848 Dark w Termi's I bought April 26th. 2700 miles later still stoked like it was my first day of riding. I do use this as my daily commuter. Good Luck with your choice

I Dance With Will

someday i'll get the sexy twin...

"fuckit!"

I started out riding on a v twin sportbike, then had a few inline 4's. I felt the draw back to a v tiwn and bought one. After about a year I was feeling disenchanted by the lurching, herkey jerkey feeling of the big v twin and lusted after another inline, so I got one and had both for 2 years. Just sold the inline (due to finances) and am riding the big v twin again. Im waiting to save up a few bucks to get myself another inline, naked bike. If I have to sell the big v twin to do it, I will....

Silver Bullet Commuter fjrrider RI's Avatar

yea for yamaha's and comfort.

I ride a 650 ninja for fun and commute on my FJR1300 much more comfortable and protected from the rain and bigger presence to the commuting traffic. Why buy a ducati and not ride it on a track that is what the 848 is designed for right?

Yamaha lover

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

I went in the other direction, so....

- No, it's still a sport bike and they ride similarly. Power delivery is obviously something new and something you will naturally adapt to. For street riding the 848 has way, way more usable power than most I4 600's, letting you focus on riding and not being in the right gear to get the power.

- Handling, the 848 does some things different but again, it's something you'll adapt to. The over arching characteristics are that an I4 is very QUICK to turn, light inputs on the bars. The 848 will be slower to turn but will reward you with rock-solid mid-corner stability.

- The 848 is likely a bit more maintenance, but... go to Riverside to get it and you're maintenance is included!

- I miss my 848 badly, and I have one bad ass 600 right now. If I did any street riding, it'd be the 848 hands down, every time.

Quote Originally Posted by boloson View Post
    for those who switched from an inline jap bike to an 848....

- was it a huge difference?
    - handling?
    - maintenance?
    - would u stick to a twin because of this bike?
    - any regrets?

all reviews on youtube sux & bike specific forums are biased so nesr would be the best place to ask.

CCS/LRRS #83

I just likes twins. 750ss, 900ss, 800ss, 998. I have ridden the 848 and the Streetfigther...

Has a ZX7, 900rr, ZX6R, a couple older Suzukis... ETC.

The Herky Jerky of a twin to me is the only draw back, if you want to call it that. The inlines have always been smoother. The 849 was the first Ducati i have ridden that I actually got why people call Ducati's "Tractors". It felt very purpose built and as close to a racebike on the street as I have ever ridden. (including my 998)

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

thank for the replies guys. it seems most who came from i4's really stick to the twins. the only thing holding me back would be the maintenance of a duc. is it difficult to do it yourself type of maintenance or is it more of a more often then not type of maintenance?

I started out with a ninja 650, then went to a gsxr-600, and then to my 848. I can tell you that I will probably never go back to an inline 4. Like others said, it was a learning curve to get used to the power curve of the twin again, but much more usuable. Only suggestion that I would have is install a 14t front sprocket. I've got the stock 15t on under about 4k/13 mph, it really chugs. after that, it's a dream.

as far as maintenance goes, I've got about 7300 miles on my 848. I just had the 7500 mile service done. minus the oil change and removing the fairings myself, i had the valves checked and both timing belts had to be changed, it was around $500 at cyclewise. I used rotella synthetic oil and change the oil myself. other than that, i would say maintenance is about the same as any other bike.

I Dance With Will

Quote Originally Posted by jcbell1007 View Post
    , i had the valves checked and both timing belts had to be changed,
    huh? timing belt? need change under 10k? that doesn't sound very good.

"fuckit!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kham View Post
    huh? timing belt? need change under 10k? that doesn't sound very good.
    You do not know Ducs.

The belts are easy to swap and the last thing you want is one snapping and messing up the desmo valve system.

Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

I Dance With Will

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    You do not know Ducs.

The belts are easy to swap and the last thing you want is one snapping and messing up the desmo valve system.
    easy to swap? oh ok.

"fuckit!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kham View Post
    easy to swap? oh ok.
    To covers, release the tensioner, pull the belts (make sure not to move the gears), replace, set tension and replace covers. Done.

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

I Dance With Will

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    To covers, release the tensioner, pull the belts (make sure not to move the gears), replace, set tension and replace covers. Done.
    not that hard with chain either aside from changing oil same time but does not require replacement often.

"fuckit!"