Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mount Washington???

CBR Airlines Flight 1000 Dragginazz's Avatar

Mount Washington???

I've never been up Mt. Washington and I'll be in the area in a few weeks with a lil' cutie on the bike. It just crossed My mind that Her...wanting to see the Mountains, may enjoy the top of Mt. Washington, she wants to see the Mountains? OK! But I have no idea if that's a good idea or not being on a Street-bike. Has anyone been to the top on a bike before??? I can't imagine it would be too difficult if it is allowed, but I would have a passenger so I don't know for sure, it may be rocky in spots or just spots with not alot of traction and I'd hate to pay only to have to make Her get off and walk in certain areas cause I know if I had to get off and walk...I'd be walking down...fuck that!
    But if anyone could give me a little info or a heads up, that would be great and much appreciated.

Thanks!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

SPEED SAFELY!

Wirelessly posted (BB Tour: BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.61 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

The auto road is pretty good on a bike. However, I'm not sure that its open right now.

-Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

Re: Mount Washington???

i've never been up myself because I'm not going to pay $14 to ride up and down a road (additional $8 for passenger)

It looks like the road doesn't open till early May http://www.mountwashingtonautoroad.com/Page-213.html.

Even then, you should pack for cold weather and check here before heading up http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

Quote Originally Posted by Kham View Post
    you seem to be related to nikon. so fuckyou too! go suck a cock./1
    2012 R1200GS Rallye

I did just check it out. Guess I should have googled it before I asked on here. But it's no problem for bikes. I don't mind paying for the experience, it's not like it's a rediculous amount and there's no time limit for the most part. I'll take Her up, what the hell. Watch me get to the top and the weather turn to shit!

SPEED SAFELY!

the weather will normally be fairly shitty up there...even on a pretty nice day at ground level. The road isnt too bad, I've never done it on a bike but there only one part that may be a bit challenging in wet weather and its right before the top there is a sharp inclining turn

- TJ

I go up at least once a year but I've never taken a passenger. If I were you I'd go up on June 14th or June 17th. Those dates are during Laconia Motorcycle Week and it's restricted to bikes only.

All but the very top is paved. It's steep, twisty and sometimes bumpy. The way up is fine, the way down from the top can be sketchy as it's steep, dirt and full of switch backs. Depending on how your passenger is about staying off your back on steep declines, you may want to consider trying it without a passenger first.

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

Try searching YouTube

And don't believe everything you think.

1 more and I'm outta here Diggers+Wheelez's Avatar

I've taken passengers up on both my sportbike and road king. The sportbike is actually easier. If she's not sure she wants to do it you ought to check out cathedral ledge in north conway. There's a road that goes to the top with a view of the valley.

"I got my motorcycle jacket
    but I'm walking all the time." -- Joe Strummer

If it's open...and if the weather is decent....it's well worth it. And should be no problem two up!

+1 on Cathedral Ledge....

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Thank You Gentlemen...I'll have to find Cathedral Ledge, We're staying at the Kearsage Inn, in North Conway so I've been plotting some roads to take and that one sounds good if You Guys are reccommending it!
    Hopefully the weather will cooperate or We'll have to stay in and have sex all day ...But NO riding? NO NO NO, That just can't happen!

SPEED SAFELY!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragginazz View Post
    I'll have to find Cathedral Ledge
    Rt. 302/Rt. 16
    West Side Rd.
    Cathedral Ledge Rd.

Lots of good roads for riding around North Conway. Even if you don't go up Mt. Washington, Rt. 16 is a nice ride passing between Mt. Washington and Wildcat Mt.

A nice loop would be to connect the following roads ...

Rt. 302/Rt. 16
    Hurricane Mountain rd.
    Evans Notch rd.
    Rt. 2
    Rt. 16

Rt. 302 north will take you around through Crawford notch and to the western side of Mt. Washington where the Cog Railway begins. From there you can double back, hit Bear Notch rd. and pick up the Kancamagus. Probably want to double back on the kancamagus unless you want to ride dirty on Sandwich Notch rd.

Damn .. I need to get back there for some riding soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Ćheese View Post
    Rt. 302/Rt. 16
    West Side Rd.
    Cathedral Ledge Rd.

Lots of good roads for riding around North Conway. Even if you don't go up Mt. Washington, Rt. 16 is a nice ride passing between Mt. Washington and Wildcat Mt.

Rt. 302/Rt. 16
    Hurricane Mountain rd.
    Evans Notch rd.
    Rt. 2
    Rt. 16

Rt. 302 north will take you around through Crawford notch and to the western side of Mt. Washington where the Cog Railway begins. From there you can double back, hit Bear Notch rd. and pick up the Kancamagus. Probably want to double back on the kancamagus unless you want to ride dirty on Sandwich Notch rd.

Thanks alot! I just wrote that down and will fine tune if need be. Her ass is going to be so sore!! And then She's gonna do all this riding with me on that little pee pad? How do they do it? Poor Girl, She has no idea what's in store for Her. She's all in love with me nooow, but She's going to go back to Florida all crying and shit,...I'll probably never see HER again!

SPEED SAFELY!

was up there on monday by washington, still covered in snow from tuckermans up it looks like

Quote Originally Posted by DBConz View Post
    crouching tiger, hidden mondos

Well that might make the ride up the Hill interesting!

SPEED SAFELY!

Quote Originally Posted by Ćheese View Post
    Rt. 302/Rt. 16
    West Side Rd.
    Cathedral Ledge Rd.

Rt. 302/Rt. 16
    Hurricane Mountain rd.
    Evans Notch rd.
    Rt. 2
    Rt. 16

But don't forget that Evans, Bear, and Hurricane are gated seasonal roads.
    I have yet to check on when they open. Anyone know?

Mt. Washington will open for motorcycles when the sand washes off the
    paved sections which depends on the last ice/snow at the top.

Current Rides:
    08 Ninja ZX-14
    02 VMAX 1200
    10 VMAX ZR-1700 (Factory closed course competition ECU)
    05 ZX-6R (636) (The modified trackday scooter, but still registered for the street)

Wirelessly posted (BB Tour: BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.61 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Hurricane Mt is still closed. I drove past the Chatham (east) end yesterday; good news is they have the tractor with street sweeper there to clear the sand. Bad news is there was a couple inches of fresh snow. Evans notch may be a while. A week or so ago the snowbank in Chatham was still around 10 ft tall.

And I'll add 153 toward Eaton and 113A from Tamworth into Sandwich to the list of good roads in the area. Just be careful riding as a the roads took a beating this year with frost heaves.

Last edited by lrrs313; 04-18-10 at 06:06 AM.
    -Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

i went up there last year when i was at laconia-there was STILL snow in places at the top in the middle of june. dont matter what the weather is at the bottom, it'll be pretty cold at the top, so dress accordingly roughest ride i've ever taken the vmax on. i'm glad i took the opportunity to go up as the views were spectacular, but i dont think i'll do it again.

later odieoh24

I have been there in July with snow

When does cog railway open ?

Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    I have been there in July with snow

When does cog railway open ?
    http://www.thecog.com/schedule.php

Quote Originally Posted by Kham View Post
    you seem to be related to nikon. so fuckyou too! go suck a cock./1
    2012 R1200GS Rallye

No matter what the weather is, bring a jacket. It can be 85 at the bottom and in the 30's at the top.

You suck at life. Why don't you quit?

My dad told me I could be anything I wanted when I grew up. So I became an Asshole.

High maintenance priss

I went 2-up to the summit on a VFR. My only issue was traffic; was stuck behind some really slow cars...think walking speed, uphill while 2-up. Just made it a bit obnoxious. This was on a Laconia weekend a 2-3 years ago.

If either of you are scared of heights some parts of the road might make you a little nervous.

i have hiked it...never taken any kind of vehicle up it...i would say check your brake pads...def be ready for cold bad weather and hope for the best...there is a very small number of days when you have a clear view from the top...its warmer when your moving...sitting on a bike rolling down the fully exposed road is probably colder

check the weather here
    http://www.mountwashington.org/

from a hike in July...yea its snow

from another hike in July on a perfectly timed summit...if we would have summitted a half hour earlier we wouldn't have been able to see anything

Last edited by Point37; 04-19-10 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by keeena View Post
    I went 2-up to the summit on a VFR. My only issue was traffic; was stuck behind some really slow cars...think walking speed, uphill while 2-up. Just made it a bit obnoxious.

I was going to mention this, on an I-4 it really sucks getting caught behind the cage doing 5 mph, and there's usually more than one. There are pull offs along the way up though.

I Am planning on going up there the first Saturday of laconia its something to day you did. If you want to have alot more fun go up Mt. Mitchel its the only peak on the east coast taller than Washington and its in the middle of the blue ridge parkway

I have some Auto Road pics in my gallery if you are interested: http://www.nestreetriders.com/galler...ohnnyx-14.html

Last edited by JohnnyX-14; 04-19-10 at 08:49 PM.
    Current Rides:
    08 Ninja ZX-14
    02 VMAX 1200
    10 VMAX ZR-1700 (Factory closed course competition ECU)
    05 ZX-6R (636) (The modified trackday scooter, but still registered for the street)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast