Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Newbie Question RE: SV650

Re: Newbie Question RE: SV650

The Speed4 was an older Triumph based on their first gen 600cc inline 4 in a naked bike. I have a friend with a TT600 with the same mill and chassis, full fairings.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Ok, in case you're considering getting a 600, here's a random post about the SV650s compared to an old 600.

Back in 2005, my roommate bought a brand new SV650s. I had taken the MSF and was licensed, so he let me ride it a bit, and it was great - nothing dramatic, very predictable, etc. The SV looked a little goofy (not quite naked, not quite a sportbike) and didn't have that SS howl (obviously it had a v-twin growl), but it was relatively light weight and it accelerated/braked smoothly.

Fast forward to 2012 (but then rewind to 1996), I buy a 1996 ZX6R. Even though it's a whole lot older, the Ninja feels like a freak compared to the SV650. First, the Ninja's cruising RPM isn't that far from the SV's redline. Second, the SV accelerates smoothly at pretty much any given RPM, unlike the Ninja; the Ninja accelerates smoothly to about 6K, and then decides that it is sick of your bullshit and starts to accelerate until you fall off the back. And then there's the weight issue - the best I can describe it is this: even though its just a 600, the Ninja feels like one of those c-h-u-b-b-y (for some reason, the forum edited it to read" cMan Guy") girls you had a crush on in college that was unexpectedly athletic, whereas the SV feels like an average mid-distance runner on the girl's track team (nothing amazing, but definitely not overweight). Finally, the SV's body positioning was very neutral and comfortable. When I first sat on the Ninja, I thought the regular pegs were the rear set.

Just my two (old balls) cents. Hope that helps!

Last edited by iloveboobs; 05-06-12 at 10:52 PM.

Lol @ you boobs.... CMan God!!

I'm pretty sure the entire reason Suzuki dropped the SV650 was because of economics. Unfortunately, the market here demands only cruisers and sport bikes - standards are such a small segment of sales unfortunately. Combine that with the recession...I'm sure they were probably losing more in production costs than they were getting back in sales.

What's kind of exciting is how many naked and standard bikes I've seen recently, however. It seems like the standard bike has been rediscovered as a viable alternative to cruisers and sport bikes, and it's catching on again. All of the manufacturers have reintroduced standards in their lineup in the past several years (Suzuki GSX1250FA, Kawasaki Z1000, Ninja 650, and until recently the ER-6N, Yamaha FZ1, FZ8, Honda CB1000R).

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    I'm pretty sure the entire reason Suzuki dropped the SV650 was because of economics. Unfortunately, the market here demands only cruisers and sport bikes - standards are such a small segment of sales unfortunately. Combine that with the recession...I'm sure they were probably losing more in production costs than they were getting back in sales.

What's kind of exciting is how many naked and standard bikes I've seen recently, however. It seems like the standard bike has been rediscovered as a viable alternative to cruisers and sport bikes, and it's catching on again. All of the manufacturers have reintroduced standards in their lineup in the past several years (Suzuki GSX1250FA, Kawasaki Z1000, Ninja 650, and until recently the ER-6N, Yamaha FZ1, FZ8, Honda CB1000R).
    Right - which is why dropping the SV/Gladius is so puzzling.

Lifer

Is the SV still alive overseas?

I always thought they were money makers, thanks to volume. They are pretty common. Or maybe I just look for them.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123