Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Chain lube?

Chain lube?

a lot of hardware stores carry it for heaters, you buy it in the same metal gallon jugs that like toululene or turpentine comes in.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Chain lube?

Quote Originally Posted by Punjistick View Post
    where can I buy kerosene to clean my chain?
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBoyBilly View Post
    I've been told Home Depot, and Lowes. Everytime I've gone into one they say they don't carry any. So I just use Motorex's Chain clean product.
    That's crazy, kerosene should be available in any paint department. I got my gallon in the Home Depot paint aisle (although that was a couple years ago), where you can also get lots of other fun chemicals. Kerosene is nice to have around for general cleaning/light lubrication. If HD has stopped selling it you should be able to get it at any paint store. I use kerosene on a rag to clean the chain and Maxima Chain Wax to protect, works OK. On a modern O-ring chain, the "chain lube" is just there to keep the links from rusting. WD-40 is a nice cleaner (it's mostly Stoddard's Solvent, which I believe is refined kerosene), but doesn't really do anything to protect. Lots of folks report success with WD40 so maybe modern chains don't need the protection...

Good to know that Lowes sells the Motorex products, think I'll try those after my can of chain wax runs out.

Joe
    04 Thruxton (Street)
    01 SV650 (Track)
    75 CB400F (Future Vintage Racer)
    68 BSA Royal Star (Garage Floor Lubricator)

Chain lube?

Lowe's carries Motorex?

I cleaned my chain with wd-40 tonight and tried out the dupont teflon lube. I don't know if I got the wrong one or not. The one I got said for use on chains, bearings, gears, etc and came in a silver can. There was also an orange color can of dupont silicone-based lube next to it. The stuff I got looks like it is more of a heavy grease.

However it came out the consistancy of runny cottage cheese and about the same color. And yes I shaked the can well. As least it seemed to blend in once I wiped the excess off with a rag. It stuck to the chain well enough though. None of it found its way onto my undertail.

Chain lube?

Quote Originally Posted by Punjistick View Post
    Lowe's carries Motorex?
    no, they were talking about the teflon stuff.

Chain lube?

Sorry, should of been clearer .. Lowes carries the Dupont Teflon stuff.

Kariya Dave's shop does carry 622 Strong ... I think Nault's does too but
    I am not sure. Mr. Kates does use that brand for his fork oil and I am sure
    if you ask him he would tell you if he stocks it ... or ask Union.

Chain lube?

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    That is just an urban ledgend. Any chain worth its salt will not be damaged by WD-40.

I use straight up WD-40 as my only chain lube. It's inexpensive and reduces the parasitic losses in the final drive of the motorcycle.

Watch all the naysayers come out of the woodwork saying WD-40 doesn't lubricate chains.

While I agree about WD-40 not being harmfull to any decent chain, and I use it myself to clean my chain, it's just to thin to use as a lube. It probably only takes a mile or two for it to dry out

I used it once when I was 14 or so to try to stop my mountain bike from sqeauking, it worked at first but then it caused the rest of the lube in the pedal to come out and it got worse.

Chain wax is the way to go.

2004 GSXR 600

Chain lube?

WD-40 to clean and Maxima Wax for lube.

So far so good. The wax doesn't give the clean look though, I think I'll give that Dupont teflon spray a try sometime soon.

Retired LRRS/CCS EX #212 | Woodcraft | Armour Bodies | Dainese USA |

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Chain lube?

I use WD-40 for cleaning and Spectro SX Chain Wax for lube.

I apply clean and apply it right after a long ride. This way, the chain is nice and warm, so the wax seeps into the crevices and reduces fling.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Chain lube?

Quote Originally Posted by FastJohnny View Post
    While I agree about WD-40 not being harmfull to any decent chain, and I use it myself to clean my chain, it's just to thin to use as a lube. It probably only takes a mile or two for it to dry out
    I'll invite anyone over to my house so they can rub their finger down my chain in order to see that WD-40 does not dry out.

When first sprayed on, WD-40 appears wet due to the liquid solvents in the solution. The solvents evaporate leaving the lubricant behind.

I spray it on, wipe off the excess with a cloth, then I ride. I reapply every 300 miles or so, after a long ride, or after getting caught in the rain.

My chain has barely stretched in the 23,000 miles I've had the bike and I have multiple dragway passes and high speed runs on it. My chain still looks new and my sprockets still have plenty of life in them.

Chain wax does afford you a longer lubrication interval but from a performance standpoint (drive train efficiency) the thinner chain lubes including WD-40 are superior. You just have to be faithful to your lubricating schedule.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Chain lube?

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    I'll invite anyone over to my house so they can rub their finger down my chain in order to see that WD-40 does not dry out.

When first sprayed on, WD-40 appears wet due to the liquid solvents in the solution. The solvents evaporate leaving the lubricant behind.

I spray it on, wipe off the excess with a cloth, then I ride. I reapply every 300 miles or so, after a long ride, or after getting caught in the rain.

My chain has barely stretched in the 23,000 miles I've had the bike and I have multiple dragway passes and high speed runs on it. My chain still looks new and my sprockets still have plenty of life in them.

Chain wax does afford you a longer lubrication interval but from a performance standpoint (drive train efficiency) the thinner chain lubes including WD-40 are superior. You just have to be faithful to your lubricating schedule.
    You must be one hell of a rider to be concerned about the parasitic losses between WD40 and Chain Wax, and their effects on performance. I'll take piece of mind that my chain is lubed when I need it to be.

2004 GSXR 600

Chain lube?

Golden spectro chain wax.

2001 RC-51 work in progress
    1997 GSXR-600 track only-gone
    2001 CBR600 F4i-gone
    2002 Suzuki Hayabusa-gone

Chain lube?

Quote Originally Posted by FastJohnny View Post
    You must be one hell of a rider to be concerned about the parasitic losses between WD40 and Chain Wax, and their effects on performance. I'll take piece of mind that my chain is lubed when I need it to be.
    While I am a hell of a rider , I'm most concerned about the cost:performance ratio. WD-40 costs less than chain lube, offers better performance, is much less messy, and does not effect the longevity of O-ring chains. That is a pretty easy decision in my book.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12