Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 58

Friendly reminder to be extra careful on those cold mornings

  1. #26
    Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Raymond NH
    Age
    58
    Posts
    4,686

    Re: Friendly reminder to be extra careful on those cold mornings

    Quote Originally Posted by oVTo View Post
    Did you try sleeping in a recliner? When I had my rotator cuff done last winter, I slept in a recliner for a few weeks. It's easy to adjust support for the arm and it made all the difference.

    Heal fast!
    I struggle to sleep on my back, does not matter if it's in a chair or bed.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  2. #27
    Lifer nt650hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore
    Age
    50
    Posts
    7,554

    Re: Friendly reminder to be extra careful on those cold mornings

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoon View Post
    I never said otherwise. I was at petty low rpm though...1000s don't make much steam at 4-5k.
    I could loft the front tire with the throttle at that RPM range on my 929. there is enough and giving the cold conditions could easily set off the rear. cooler temps can also play into a lil extra ponies

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

  3. #28
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    71
    Posts
    18,061

    Re: Friendly reminder to be extra careful on those cold mornings

    Quote Originally Posted by nt650hawk View Post
    cooler temps can also play into a lil extra ponies
    cold air = free horsepower


    in the lower gears, my V-strom 1000 would be pumping helium into the front tire as well

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

  4. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Rockland
    Posts
    225

    Re: Friendly reminder to be extra careful on those cold mornings

    wish you a speedy recovery

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  5. #30
    Member abeer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Belmont MA
    Posts
    134

    Re: Friendly reminder to be extra careful on those cold mornings

    Crap, I wish I'd read this before my ride today. I had a very similar fail. Luckily without injury (my condolences to you, it sounds bad enough but I'm happy it wasn't worse!)

    I was visiting my father in Marlboro MA. The ride out was fantastic! It was definitely a little slippy in places, but I paced my self, was vigilant for leaves, frosty/shady spots and had a really good ride out there on the backroads from Belmont.

    I rolled out of dads driveway, around the corner and was waiting to enter an intersection. Traffic was clear for a moment so in I go, nothing spirited, but out she goes from under me with zero warning. There is a stream that runs under the road at that spot, the road was just frozen.

    Anyhow, I got dragged across the intersection by my poor scrapping and grinding Pikes Peak All the traffic coming towards me were able to stop. My Klim winter suit and Dainese boots all took the 15 foot scraping with flying colors. Though the Dainese boots look more than scuffed.

    The bike is not looking happy. Scratched side panel on tank :\ Broken shift lever, hand guard, and it looks like the clutch reservoir sprayed some fluid, though I see no cracks or scratches on it :o

    Friendly reminder to be extra careful on those cold mornings-bchpjpd-xl-jpg

    Lesson learned... though I swear I knew better. These kinds of reminders are hard to swallow.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  6. #31
    Lifer backinthesaddle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The Valley of Hope, Rhode Island
    Age
    59
    Posts
    1,695

    Re: Friendly reminder to be extra careful on those cold mornings

    Sorry to hear and heal quick. And like Abeer. I crashed at 5pm tonight. I was first vehicle at a red light. It turned green I went maybe ten feet turned left 90 degrees and wham rear slid like on ice. No time to do anything. I slid a few feet surprisingly but leather jacket and jeans neither ripped no scuffed. Slid on butt and left boot. Boot had a scuff on toes. Bike has a few scuffs and a bent frame slider. Fairing ground down but GB engine cover did its thing.
    45,000+ street miles and first time down. Have saved near misses in cold and in rain but this was so quick ice kind of feeling. Which also makes me wonder why my clothes didn't tear or scuff. Might drive there later in car to see, but guess is cold tire and cold pavement. Wasn't even a power slide type of thing as I purposely put the TC on a setting that you can feel stutter with any throttle even near aggressive, just a lateral slide ?? and so slow hardly any lean.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by backinthesaddle; 11-15-14 at 07:35 PM.
    2013 ZX6R-636

  7. #32
    Lifer backinthesaddle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The Valley of Hope, Rhode Island
    Age
    59
    Posts
    1,695

    Re: Friendly reminder to be extra careful on those cold mornings

    On the plus side at least four people got out of their cars to help. Some volunteered to call for help, pick it up or bump start me. I picked it up on the second try and pushed it to a nearby lot under a light. No leakage or missing controls so rode it home. I actually got more hurt earlier today cutting the lawn. Had a hooded sweat shirt pulled low over my head to stay warm, couldn't see good, and hit my head on a low branch. Maybe that was a warning to not ride.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by backinthesaddle; 11-15-14 at 09:12 PM.
    2013 ZX6R-636

  8. #33
    Senior Member South of Heaven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Jamaica Plain
    Age
    42
    Posts
    481

    Re: Friendly reminder to be extra careful on those cold mornings

    Wow, that sucks guys. Glad you're both in good spirits.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    [SIGPIhttp://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic8737_4.gifC][/SIGPIC]

  9. #34
    Soul Rider Paul_E_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    western, MA
    Age
    53
    Posts
    15,008

    Re: Friendly reminder to be extra careful on those cold mornings

    Geeze. Sucks guys. I was ridin around on race rubber today, but I CRAWLED around any sharp corners. I must have 5 inch chicken strips on both sides, and total tire width isn't much more than 6'! After my trailer drop, I sure as hell wasn't gonna drop it again. I can't wait to get my van back from the bodyshop.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D


  10. #35
    Lifer backinthesaddle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The Valley of Hope, Rhode Island
    Age
    59
    Posts
    1,695

    Re: Friendly reminder to be extra careful on those cold mornings

    I think what really gets me is how slow mph I was riding yet how quick of a fall I had. Had to be just too much throttle, ever so little, but cold tires and ground. There are so many other events where I wouldn't be so pissed to have fallen than this.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2013 ZX6R-636

  11. #36
    Member abeer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Belmont MA
    Posts
    134

    Re: Friendly reminder to be extra careful on those cold mornings

    Quote Originally Posted by backinthesaddle View Post
    I think what really gets me is how slow mph I was riding yet how quick of a fall I had. Had to be just too much throttle, ever so little, but cold tires and ground. There are so many other events where I wouldn't be so pissed to have fallen than this.
    Yeah, honestly if the ground is frozen I feel like even the lean angle is enough. Sounds like we had identical wipeouts, I went down at about 4. And identical nice folks around to check up that we'd made it ok. I consider this a cheap lesson. Hoon definitely paid for the premium lesson. All of us could have certainly done worse :\

    Any tips on alternatives to the $680 tank side panel for my Pikes Peak are welcome

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by abeer; 11-16-14 at 05:00 AM.

  12. #37
    Super Moderator OreoGaborio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    MA
    Age
    44
    Posts
    38,879

    Re: Friendly reminder to be extra careful on those cold mornings

    Quote Originally Posted by abeer View Post
    Crap, I wish I'd read this before my ride today. I had a very similar fail. Luckily without injury (my condolences to you, it sounds bad enough but I'm happy it wasn't worse!)

    I was visiting my father in Marlboro MA. The ride out was fantastic! It was definitely a little slippy in places, but I paced my self, was vigilant for leaves, frosty/shady spots and had a really good ride out there on the backroads from Belmont.

    I rolled out of dads driveway, around the corner and was waiting to enter an intersection. Traffic was clear for a moment so in I go, nothing spirited, but out she goes from under me with zero warning. There is a stream that runs under the road at that spot, the road was just frozen.

    Anyhow, I got dragged across the intersection by my poor scrapping and grinding Pikes Peak All the traffic coming towards me were able to stop. My Klim winter suit and Dainese boots all took the 15 foot scraping with flying colors. Though the Dainese boots look more than scuffed.

    The bike is not looking happy. Scratched side panel on tank :\ Broken shift lever, hand guard, and it looks like the clutch reservoir sprayed some fluid, though I see no cracks or scratches on it :o

    Friendly reminder to be extra careful on those cold mornings-bchpjpd-xl-jpg

    Lesson learned... though I swear I knew better. These kinds of reminders are hard to swallow.
    Ugh... That sucks... Bike's trashed... I'll give ya 50 bucks for it.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Pete LRRS/CCS #81 - ECK Racing, TonysTrackDays
    GMD Computrack Boston | Pine Motorparts/PBE Specialists | Phoenix Graphics | Woodcraft | MTag-Pirelli | OnTrack Media

    The Garage: '03 Tuono | '06 SV650

  13. #38
    Lifer Chippertheripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    the fairest of havens
    Age
    44
    Posts
    13,897

    Re: Friendly reminder to be extra careful on those cold mornings

    I thought that thing has tc?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

  14. #39
    Soul Rider Paul_E_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    western, MA
    Age
    53
    Posts
    15,008

    Re: Friendly reminder to be extra careful on those cold mornings

    TC can't prevent a cold tire crash. The slide is more the tire slipping out from under you as opposed to actually spinning it up.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D


  15. #40
    KNEE DRAGGING BAGGER sedanman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Pawling NY
    Posts
    425

    Re: Friendly reminder to be extra careful on those cold mornings

    But what if there is NO traction to control? Traction control works the make the most of the available traction. It is useless when there is no grip at all.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Normal is an illusion, what is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

  16. #41
    KNEE DRAGGING BAGGER sedanman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Pawling NY
    Posts
    425

    Re: Friendly reminder to be extra careful on those cold mornings

    Paul_E_D typed faster than me.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Normal is an illusion, what is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

  17. #42
    Soul Rider Paul_E_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    western, MA
    Age
    53
    Posts
    15,008

    Re: Friendly reminder to be extra careful on those cold mornings

    Plus, pros and amatuers alike continue to highside with TC and other aids. It is assistive, it does not do all the work for you, despite what the anti-tech people would like to believe. There were 981 crashes in motogp this season (across all classes) They all have TC. A lot of front end tucks, but also plenty of highsides. The champ crashed 11 times!

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D


  18. #43
    Member Hoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    RI
    Posts
    245

    Re: Friendly reminder to be extra careful on those cold mornings

    Quote Originally Posted by abeer View Post
    Crap, I wish I'd read this before my ride today. I had a very similar fail. Luckily without injury (my condolences to you, it sounds bad enough but I'm happy it wasn't worse!)

    I was visiting my father in Marlboro MA. The ride out was fantastic! It was definitely a little slippy in places, but I paced my self, was vigilant for leaves, frosty/shady spots and had a really good ride out there on the backroads from Belmont.

    I rolled out of dads driveway, around the corner and was waiting to enter an intersection. Traffic was clear for a moment so in I go, nothing spirited, but out she goes from under me with zero warning. There is a stream that runs under the road at that spot, the road was just frozen.

    Anyhow, I got dragged across the intersection by my poor scrapping and grinding Pikes Peak All the traffic coming towards me were able to stop. My Klim winter suit and Dainese boots all took the 15 foot scraping with flying colors. Though the Dainese boots look more than scuffed.

    The bike is not looking happy. Scratched side panel on tank :\ Broken shift lever, hand guard, and it looks like the clutch reservoir sprayed some fluid, though I see no cracks or scratches on it :o

    Lesson learned... though I swear I knew better. These kinds of reminders are hard to swallow.
    Ugh sorry to hear that. These reminders are definitely hard to swallow. It's a blow to the ego when you crash like it was your first time on a bike.

    I've saved a few big slides, there was no saving this one. By the time i felt it going i was well on my way to being perpendicular to my intended direction, lol.

    When i looked at the tire, the scuffs the furthest point out were no more than halfway between the center and the edge, so at no point did it even see significant lean angle.

    Next time i ride on a cold morning i'm doing a John Force style burnout before i leave the driveway!


    Quote Originally Posted by backinthesaddle View Post
    Sorry to hear and heal quick. And like Abeer. I crashed at 5pm tonight. I was first vehicle at a red light. It turned green I went maybe ten feet turned left 90 degrees and wham rear slid like on ice. No time to do anything. I slid a few feet surprisingly but leather jacket and jeans neither ripped no scuffed. Slid on butt and left boot. Boot had a scuff on toes. Bike has a few scuffs and a bent frame slider. Fairing ground down but GB engine cover did its thing.
    45,000+ street miles and first time down. Have saved near misses in cold and in rain but this was so quick ice kind of feeling. Which also makes me wonder why my clothes didn't tear or scuff. Might drive there later in car to see, but guess is cold tire and cold pavement. Wasn't even a power slide type of thing as I purposely put the TC on a setting that you can feel stutter with any throttle even near aggressive, just a lateral slide ?? and so slow hardly any lean.
    Another one!

    You guys are making me feel better! lol.

    Glad you weren't hurt at all, hope the bike is ok!

    Quote Originally Posted by abeer View Post
    Hoon definitely paid for the premium lesson. All of us could have certainly done worse :\
    Truth. Could have been much worse. I don't even know where i ended up to be honest.

    I think i took most of that nap somewhere in the oncoming lanes (of a very busy road). When i woke up there were two guys with me, and i think a third was blocking traffic waiting for the cops/ambulance. If there had been oncoming traffic chances are i'd be toast.

    It was definitely a sobering experience, makes me think back to all the times I've pushed the limits on the street, and how badly some of them could have turned out.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  19. #44
    Member abeer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Belmont MA
    Posts
    134

    Re: Friendly reminder to be extra careful on those cold mornings

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    TC can't prevent a cold tire crash. The slide is more the tire slipping out from under you as opposed to actually spinning it up.
    You said it. Physics are a bitch. Lean angle + no surface traction = whoopsie. When I was a teenager, I lost the front on my CR125 going in a straight line over a patch of ice. :\

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  20. #45
    KNEE DRAGGING BAGGER sedanman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Pawling NY
    Posts
    425

    Re: Friendly reminder to be extra careful on those cold mornings

    Human beings have very sophisticated traction control systems and still manage to fall on ice.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Normal is an illusion, what is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

  21. #46
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    71
    Posts
    18,061

    Re: Friendly reminder to be extra careful on those cold mornings

    Quote Originally Posted by sedanman View Post
    Human beings have very sophisticated traction control systems and still manage to fall on ice.
    when the force of gravity exceeds traction, the answer is to go faster

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

  22. #47
    Lifer backinthesaddle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The Valley of Hope, Rhode Island
    Age
    59
    Posts
    1,695

    Re: Friendly reminder to be extra careful on those cold mornings

    For me its just a scrape on the tank where an R&G tank slider would go over. Will clean and paint the scrape and order those tank sliders.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2013 ZX6R-636

  23. #48
    Lifer backinthesaddle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The Valley of Hope, Rhode Island
    Age
    59
    Posts
    1,695

    Re: Friendly reminder to be extra careful on those cold mornings

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    TC can't prevent a cold tire crash. The slide is more the tire slipping out from under you as opposed to actually spinning it up.
    Yeah I can set the TC in its middle or most invasive settings and feel it intervene when spinning it up. This was just cold tire slipping out, no TC intervention as it was just a bit too much lean on a bit too cold of a surface with a bit too cold of a tire.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2013 ZX6R-636

  24. #49
    Lifer backinthesaddle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The Valley of Hope, Rhode Island
    Age
    59
    Posts
    1,695

    Re: Friendly reminder to be extra careful on those cold mornings

    Mostly cosmetic. Frame slider did a good job as did gb racing engine cover. Note fairing ground down but engine cover still intact.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Friendly reminder to be extra careful on those cold mornings-image-jpg  

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2013 ZX6R-636

  25. #50
    Back on 2 wheels yay StrayNut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    NW Boston burbs
    Posts
    355

    Re: Friendly reminder to be extra careful on those cold mornings

    Aw man, I'm sorry to hear that, guys! I'm glad Anders and backinthesaddle are okay, and glad it wasn't worse for Hoon. Definitely lucky you didn't end up under oncoming traffic, yikes. Heal up fast.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Monday mornings entry time
    By tonup in forum General Track Day Talk
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-22-11, 02:52 PM
  2. Reminder......It's cold out.
    By nt650hawk in forum General Bike Related
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 11-19-09, 10:28 PM
  3. Just a friendly reminder.
    By palanon in forum Pit Area
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-21-09, 03:19 PM
  4. Friendly 2007 reminder.
    By a13x in forum General Bike Related
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-29-07, 08:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •