Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

highway robbery-- NHDMV

Re: highway robbery-- NHDMV

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    In MA, we pay $20/year. But then we pay yearly 'excise' tax, and a sales tax when first registering it. In NH, they avoid the sales tax, and I don't think they have the excise tax either. I bet the total cost is roughly similar. I thought RI was about the same. yr.
    They have an excise tax but don't call it that. Most of our commercial vehicles are cheaper to register and insurein MA than NH. Trailer reg is much cheaper, though.

Also in NH if you want to register an OHV they require a drivers license and charge you the non resident rate even though you can register a car or bike in NH if it lives on your NH property.

In other words every state sucks.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 05-05-16 at 03:25 PM.

Lifer

To be fair, no income or sales tax kind of makes up for it. I realize it might still be a wash after local property taxes. But at least you have a fair amount more control over those.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    nedirtriders.com

To be fair, no income or sales tax kind of makes up for it. I realize it might still be a wash after local property taxes. But at least you have a fair amount more control over those.
    The tax rate we pay in Goshen is two and a half times higher than the rate in Boston.

If you have a really high income it would probably work out in your favor.

Lifer

According to this, Goshen was $24.91 per 1000 in 2015. Higher than the state-wide average. Certainly higher than MA, though about double.

http://taxfoundation.org/sites/taxfo...y_taxes-01.png
    Property tax
    2015 NH Average : 2.15% or 21.5 per 1000
    2015 MA Average : 1.21% or 12.1 per 1000

http://taxfoundation.org/sites/taxfo...ocs/PIT-01.png
    Income tax:
    2016 NH : 0 (5.0% shown in picture for dividends or interest)
    2016 MA : 5.1%

What numbers should I use? Let's go upper-ish middle class 3-person family, 145k income, 350k property?
    7525 NH property tax
    4235 MA property tax + 7179 income tax (technically, I'm using 145k Federal AGI, and minus property tax) = 11414

My read on it is MA and NH are the two better choices tax-wise. The rest of New England and NY look worse.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    nedirtriders.com

According to this, Goshen was $24.91 per 1000 in 2015. Higher than the state-wide average. Certainly higher than MA, though about double.

http://taxfoundation.org/sites/taxfo...y_taxes-01.png
    Property tax
    2015 NH Average : 2.15% or 21.5 per 1000
    2015 MA Average : 1.21% or 12.1 per 1000

http://taxfoundation.org/sites/taxfo...ocs/PIT-01.png
    Income tax:
    2016 NH : 0 (5.0% shown in picture for dividends or interest)
    2016 MA : 5.1%

What numbers should I use? Let's go upper-ish middle class 3-person family, 145k income, 350k property?
    7525 NH property tax
    4235 MA property tax + 7179 income tax (technically, I'm using 145k Federal AGI, and minus property tax) = 11414

My read on it is MA and NH are the two better choices tax-wise. The rest of New England and NY look worse.
    not as simple as you make it, tax rates vary greatly from town to town, and assessments vary even more, in my town, the rate is relatively high, but assessed property values are low, I pay less than $3k/yr, if I lived 10 miles different, in anther town, the rates are lower. but assessed values are higher, I have a friend with similar value property as mine who pays nearly $7k a year in property tax

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Lifer

I love when people in the Boston metro area brag about how low their tax rate is.. while paying tax on a home valued at three to four times what mine is. Yet is smaller. On (way) less land. Has almost no privacy. Has more traffic around it. Is in a town with a police chief that has no respect for the 2nd amendment. Where you can't discharge a firearm without having SWAT activated. Where the OHV laws are obtrusive at best, insane at worst. Where you can't plate anything fun unless you stand on your head. And where you need special permission from the HOA to have a utility trailer on the premises. Utopia!

Oops. I mean NH taxes are obscene! Stay away! Save yourselves. It's horrible here.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    not as simple as you make it, tax rates vary greatly from town to town, and assessments vary even more, in my town, the rate is relatively high, but assessed property values are low, I pay less than $3k/yr, if I lived 10 miles different, in anther town, the rates are lower. but assessed values are higher, I have a friend with similar value property as mine who pays nearly $7k a year in property tax
    Goshen also increased the assessment 18%, though that's probably the result of the sale of the property.

We pay $1,100 more in Boston for a house worth 4X as much. But commercial rates in Boston are quite high.

MA income tax has a lot of exemptions but dealing with three states for business, they're all bandits. I wish the state workers were as efficient as the tax collection.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I love when people in the Boston metro area brag about how low their tax rate is.. while paying tax on a home valued at three to four times what mine is. Yet is smaller. On (way) less land. Has almost no privacy. Has more traffic around it. Is in a town with a police chief that has no respect for the 2nd amendment. Where you can't discharge a firearm without having SWAT activated. Where the OHV laws are obtrusive at best, insane at worst. Where you can't plate anything fun unless you stand on your head. And where you need special permission from the HOA to have a utility trailer on the premises. Utopia!

Oops. I mean NH taxes are obscene! Stay away! Save yourselves. It's horrible here.
    don't forget water and sewer bills (tax)

on the other hand, I do pay approx $100k/yr in application fees to the state and towns on behalf of clients

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    . I wish the state workers were as efficient as the tax collection.
    I can't complain too much about the departments I work with, septic designs are reviewed and approved generally the same day as submitted, many only taking a few minutes to go thru the process

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    //Oops. I mean NH taxes are obscene! Stay away! Save yourselves. It's horrible here.
    Thank you for contributing your state income tax. It is probably paying for a no-show job.

If you take overall tax burden, MA is in the middle, NH among the lowest.

taxers gonna tax

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Lifer

I'm just comparing averages. It varies in MA from town to town as well. And I didn't include electric rates. Or the highway robbery at the NH DMV. Another cost of living factor is insurance, but that kind of gets fuzzy when we've been talking about government costs.

nedirtriders.com

[QUOTE=aldend123;1459128] And I didn't include electric rates./QUOTE]

are you inferring that electric rates in NH are higher than in MA ?

not the case
    EIA - Electricity Data

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Lifer

The fair value of the use should technically be taxable income to you. In Massachusetts you would be assessed the full sales tax upon purchase/registration, plus local excise tax at 2.5% of value, plus registration and title fees.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    The fair value of the use should technically be taxable income to you. In Massachusetts you would be assessed the full sales tax upon purchase/registration, plus local excise tax at 2.5% of value, plus registration and title fees.
    So there you go. SVRACER01, my advice is:
    a) Be glad you don't live in MA.
    b) Don't move to MA.
    c) Vote for Free Staters and other small-government liberty-minded candidates.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

no MA...got it.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

100 X slower than Gerard scootertrash's Avatar

Keep in mind that most everyone in NH is paying for a full year registration, to only use their bike for 6-8 months.
    Except crazy Randy, who rides 12 months of the year.
    If they give you a refund, then everyone who has a bike sitting in their garage for the winter also wants a refund. (ok, slightly different situation, but where does it end ?)

Quote Originally Posted by scootertrash View Post
    Keep in mind that most everyone in NH is paying for a full year registration, to only use their bike for 6-8 months.
    If they give you a refund, then everyone who has a bike sitting in their garage for the winter also wants a refund. (ok, slightly different situation, but where does it end ?)
    Well, of course it *should* end when no one is paying for stuff he isn't using and doesn't want to pay for. On all levels, and for all stuff. But of course it's completely unrealistic to expect the government to be fair and just, so in practice it ends with the maximum level of abuse that people are willing to endure.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

on the other hand, I pay a full year registration for a vehicle that sits still from May to October without being used

RandyO
    IBA#9560

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

on the other hand, I pay a full year registration for a vehicle that sits still from May to October without being used
    all the more reason why there should be partial/half year options

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

property tax. when did this come about. Just Tree Farm the thing!

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    by the time i know what my bike will be, the plates will be expired and therefor saves me $0 on the new registration.
    how do you register a bike when you don't even know what it is?

If you think the registration is bad wait till u get it inspected,, that worthless cow Hassan jacked the inspection fee on motorcycles. It now cost $30 to inspect a bike in NH, which considering how long it actually takes is nothing but an a$$ fucking, courtesy of NH .GOV. No reply from her or her drones when I complained to her either, arrogant bitch.

Lifer

Pretty sure the fee is set by the inspection station. This isn't MA.
    Shop around.

Quote Originally Posted by me109g4 View Post
    considering how long it actually takes
    it actually takes a while if done correctly

for instance does your inspection station verify the bike's VIN with the registration ?

use a DB meter on the exhaust ?

test ride it to verify the odometer & speedometer is working ?

check headlamp aim ?

inspect the entirety of tires for cracks, & cuts... use a depth gauge on the tread ?

check to see if the horn can be heard by a person 200 feet away ?

check operation of clutch and side stand safety switches ?

check wheel alignment ?

PART Saf-C 3232 MOTORCYCLE INSTRUMENTATION

Saf-C 3232.01 Odometer.

(a) A motorcycle shall be rejected if:

(1) It is not equipped with an odometer, except if it is a trail bike pursuant to RSA 215-A:39;

(2) The odometer has been tampered with or removed; or

(3) The odometer does not work.

(b) Pursuant to RSA 266:60, if the motorcycle was manufactured after January 1, 1972, the odometer shall be tamper resistant.

Source. (See Revision Notes at Chapter Heading Saf-C 3200) #8915, eff 6-22-07, EXPIRED: 6-22-15

New. #10886, INTERIM, eff 7-16-15, EXPIRES: 1-12-16; ss by #11016, eff 1-6-16

Saf-C 3232.02 Speedometer.

(1) It is not equipped with a speedometer, except if it is a trail bike pursuant to RSA 215-A:39;

(2) The speedometer does not work; or

(3) The speedometer has been tampered with or removed.

Source. (See Revision Notes at Chapter Heading Saf-C 3200) #8915, eff 6-22-07, EXPIRED: 6-22-15

PART Saf-C 3233 MOTORCYCLE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM

Saf-C 3233.01 Horn.

(1) The horn is not securely fastened in the location set forth by the manufacturer;

(2) The horn cannot be heard by a person 200 feet from the motorcycle;

(3) The horn does not work;

(4) The button or switch that activates the horn is located in such a position that the operator cannot reach it without letting go of the handgrips; or

(5) It is not equipped with a horn, pursuant to RSA 266:54.

Saf-C 3233.02 Wiring and Switches.

(1) Any electrical switch is not in good condition or is not attached;

(2) Any electrical switch does not work;

(3) Any portion of the electrical wiring shows signs of burning, short circuiting, or bare or uninsulated wires;

(4) The wiring is improperly installed; or

(5) Any connection is not tight.

PART Saf-C 3234 MOTORCYCLE WHEELS AND TIRES

Saf-C 3234.01 Tire Pressure. Tire pressure shall be checked with an air pressure gauge and a motorcycle shall be rejected if inflation pressures are below the manufacturer’s specifications.

Saf-C 3234.02 Cord Exposure. A motorcycle shall be rejected if any tire has a worn spot that exposes the cord through the tread.

Saf-C 3234.03 Fabric Breaks, Cuts and Blowout Repairs.

(a) A motorcycle shall be rejected if a tire has:

(1) A fabric break;

(2) A cut, break or weather crack which is:

a. In excess of one inch in any direction as measured on the outside of the tire; or

b. Deep enough to reach the body cords;

(3) Temporary repairs made with blowout patches or boots;

(4) Any bumps, bulges or knots related to separation or partial failure of the tire structure;

(5) Any portion of the ply or cord structure exposed through the tread; or

(6) A portion of the tread completely worn, which is of sufficient size to affect the traction and stopping ability of the tire.

Saf-C 3234.04 Tread Depth.

(a) A tread depth measuring gauge shall be used to measure tread depth. Readings shall be taken in the major tread groove nearest to the center of the tire at 2 points along the circumference of the tire, not closer than 15 inches.

(b) If a tire has the tread design running across the tire or is a siped tire, readings shall be taken at or near the center of the tire at 2 points along the circumference of the tire, not closer than 15 inches.

(c) Pursuant to RSA 266:51, a motorcycle shall be rejected if the tread depth is less than 2/32 inch at both points where tread depth measurements were made.

Saf-C 3234.05 Regrooved Tires. Pursuant to RSA 266:47, a motorcycle shall be rejected if it is equipped with one or more regrooved tires.

Saf-C 3234.06 Wheels. A motorcycle shall be rejected if any portion of the wheel is bent, cracked, rewelded, damaged, has any loose or broken spokes or any other defect that affects the safe operation of the motorcycle.

Saf-C 3234.07 Tire Width. A motorcycle shall be rejected if not equipped with proper fenders to prevent the throw of, spray, or splash of water, dirt or other matter. Tires shall not extend beyond fender lines.

PART Saf-C 3235 MOTORCYCLE FUEL SYSTEM

Saf-C 3235.01 Fuel System.

(1) There is vapor or fuel leakage in any portion of the fuel system;

(2) Any portion of the fuel system is not securely fastened;

(3) The fuel system is equipped with a fuel filler cap that does not meet the manufacturer’s specifications;

(4) The fuel line is positioned in such a manner so that it contacts the engine head, manifold, exhaust system, high temperature surfaces or moving parts;

(5) The fuel system is not vented; or

(6) The fuel system is not equipped with a fuel cutoff valve.

PART Saf-C 3236 MOTORCYCLE EXHAUST SYSTEM

Saf-C 3236.01 Modification of Exhaust System. No motorcycle exhaust system shall be modified so that noise levels exceed that provided in RSA 266:59 and RSA 266:59-a.

Saf-C 3236.02 Muffler Jackets or Flexible Pipe Prohibited. There shall be no muffler jackets or flexible pipe used in any exhaust system. Self-sealing, flexible pipe may be used if standard pipe is not available.

Saf-C 3236.03 Noise Limits.

(a) Each inspection station shall use a decibel meter to measure muffler noise emissions.

(b) Notwithstanding the provisions of Saf-C 3206.01, sound testing shall be done in accordance with the provisions of the SAE International Recommended Practice J2825, “Measurement of exhaust sound, pressure levels of stationary on highway motorcycles,” pursuant to RSA 266:59-a.

(c) A motorcycle shall be rejected if sound emissions exceed:

(1) Ninety-two decibels while the engine is operating at idle speed;

(2) For motorcycles with less than 3 or more than 4 cylinders, 96 decibels while the engine is operating at 2,000 revolutions per minute or 75 percent of maximum engine speed, whichever is less; or

(3) For 3 and 4 cylinder motorcycles, 100 decibels while the engine is operating at 5,000 revolutions per minute or 75 percent of maximum engine speed, whichever is less.

(d) An autocycle as defined in RSA 259:4-d shall not be considered a motorcycle for purposes of 3236.03.

New. #10886, INTERIM, eff 7-16-15, EXPIRES: 1-12-16; ss by #11016, eff 1-6-16; ss by #11018, EMERGENCY RULE, eff 1-7-16, EXPIRES: 7-5-16

Saf-C 3236.04 Exhaust System.

(1) It has no muffler;

(2) It has a straight pipe exhaust system, as defined in RSA 266:59, IV;

(3) There are holes, rusted or worn surfaces on the muffler, resonator, exhaust pipes, heat shields or supporting hardware;

(4) There are loose or leaking joints, seams or damaged baffles inside the muffler;

(5) Any portion of the exhaust system is not securely fastened;

(6) The tail pipe end is pinched or damaged;

(7) Heat shielding is not present in areas where contact could be made by the driver or passengers in a seated position;

(8) There is excessive noise or a muffler cutout, bypass or similar device which allows excessive or unusual noise, pursuant to RSA 266:59 or RSA 266:59-a; or

(9) Excessive fumes, smoke, flame, gas, oil or fuel residue escapes in violation of RSA 266:59.

PART Saf-C 3237 MOTORCYCLE SPARK ARRESTERS

Saf-C 3237.01 Spark Arresters. A motorcycle shall be rejected if it was originally equipped with a spark arrester which has been removed or replaced with other than U.S. Forest Service approved equipment.

PART Saf-C 3238 MOTORCYCLE GLASS AND GLAZING

Saf-C 3238.01 Discolored Glass. A motorcycle shall be rejected if the glass is discolored to the extent that the driver's clear view is restricted to less than 200 feet ahead of the motorcycle.

PART Saf-C 3239 MOTORCYCLE REAR VIEW MIRRORS

Saf-C 3239.01 Rear View Mirror.

(1) It is not equipped with a rear view mirror;

(2) The rear view mirror is loosely mounted, so that the driver’s rear vision is impaired;

(3) The rear view mirror is mounted in a position so that it cannot be adjusted from the driver's seat;

(4) The driver’s rear vision is obscured because the glass is cracked, pitted or clouded;

(5) The rear view mirror has sharp edges; or

(6) The rear view mirror is less than 2 inches in diameter.

PART Saf-C 3240 OTHER MOTORCYCLE EQUIPMENT

Saf-C 3240.01 Other Equipment.

(1) A primary or secondary drive chain or belt is not equipped with a guard or covering device to prevent contact with the driver or passenger;

(2) It is designed to carry more than one person and does not have a handhold equivalent to the manufacturer's specifications;

(3) It is not equipped with footrests for each person the motorcycle is designed to carry;

(4) It has footrests which are not accessible to a passenger's feet, or a footrest which does not fold to the rear or upward when the footrests protrude beyond the width of any portion of the motorcycle frame or motor; or

(5) In the event it is equipped with highway bars:

a. The highway bars have a width greater than 32 inches;

b. The highway bars are located 15 inches or more from the foot controls; or

c. The highway bars interfere with the safe operation of the foot controls.

PART Saf-C 3241 MOTORCYCLE LIGHTS AND LIGHTING

Saf-C 3241.01 Turn Signal.

(a) A motorcycle shall be rejected if it is not equipped with a turn signal lamp system, except if:

(1) It is a trail bike pursuant to RSA 215-A:36; or

(2) It is a motorcycle manufactured prior to January 1, 1973, pursuant to RSA 266:42.

(b) A motorcycle shall be rejected if any turn signal lamp or operating unit:

(1) Is not a type compatible with the original equipment;

(2) Is not in the position designated by the manufacturer;

(3) Does not function properly;

(4) Is not properly directed;

(5) Is obscured; or

(6) Has a self-canceling mechanism that does not function properly.

Saf-C 3241.02 Emergency Lights.

(1) It is equipped with emergency lights in violation of RSA 266:74;

(2) The emergency lights do not comply with the color requirements of these rules; or

(3) The emergency lights do not comply with the location requirements of these rules.

Saf-C 3241.03 Lamps.

(1) Any bulb, or lamp fails to light or does not function properly;

(2) The turn signal lamps fail to light when the turn signal lever is moved to the “on” position;

(3) Any lamp shows a color not permitted by law;

(4) Any lamp fails to light the proper filament when switched on;

(5) Any lamp or reflector does not direct light in the proper direction;

(6) Auxiliary equipment is placed on or in front of any lamp;

(7) Any lamp assembly, or any portion thereof, is improperly fastened or installed;

(8) Any lamp has a cracked, broken or missing lens or reflex reflector; or

(9) Any lamp or reflex reflector is not a type compatible with the original equipment.

PART Saf-C 3242 MOTORCYCLE HEADLAMP AIM

Saf-C 3242.01 Fog Lamp and Auxiliary Lamp Aim. A motorcycle shall be rejected if the aim of the high intensity zone of the auxiliary lamps or fog lamps exceeds the limits imposed on the aim of the high intensity zone of the respective headlamp low beam.

PART Saf-C 3243 MOTORCYCLE BODY OR CHASSIS

Saf-C 3243.01 Body Damage.

(1) The body components or sheet metal have tears, sharp edges or protruding areas which present a safety hazard to any person;

(2) Any fender:

a. Is missing;

b. Is improperly installed;

c. Provides inadequate protection from road debris;

d. Interferes with the safe operation of the motorcycle; or

e. Is not a type compatible with the original equipment; or

(3) Any weld or structural component of the frame assembly is cracked or broken.

RandyO
    IBA#9560

And how many times has the inspection you use do this??? especially on a stock bike, and no The State sets the rate, of which a small portion goes to the garage performing the inspection.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast