Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Insurance rates

Insurance rates

Last year I bought motorcycle insurance through Arbella. I had full coverage and was quoted $1,400 for the year. When I put the bike up for the winter in November I was going to drop the coverage all together until spring, but the insurance lady recommended I keep some coverage on it because the bike is kept in my friend's garage and theft may be an issue since he doesnt always shut his garage door. So she dropped the coverage amounts way down but it was still covered for fire and theft. I'm not sure what that changed the yearly premium to but I got a check BACK from them for $150, and the whole year wasnt paid yet so Im guessing it'd be around 800-900.

I was a step 9 when I bought with an offense that should have cleared in October.

What should I be paying a year for full coverage? 2004 GSXR 600, which is mint, but probably valued at $4,500, 26 years old, and a step 8.

What kind of liabilty and comprehensive limits should I have?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2004 GSXR 600

Insurance rates

Uh.......step 9 with the "new" SDIP, or with the "old"? I think I'm only a step 1 or 2 now under the new system, as most of my tickets have "aged" off my record.

PM McBiggity, he might be able to help you out with a quote, maybe? He works for Commerce last I knew.

I know a little about everything, and alot about nothing.

Insurance rates

Thats with the old system. No offenses in the last three years, and no accidents, ever.

2004 GSXR 600

Insurance rates

Well I paid around 800 last year for full coverage on my RC51. I have no violations ever on the bike on in my car. I also took the MSF course.

James

Insurance rates

the new system is baed on 0-45. but 99 and 98 are the best steps.??????????? yeah, confusing
    I don't understand it and I can't give quotes on premiums. call a local agent for that. Too many variables involved for me to do it in the claims dept.

Insurance rates

I'm paying ~170 a year with a previous-system Step 9 for full coverage.

2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Time to buy something with a little less bling factor?

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2020 BMW R1250GS Adventure Exclusive
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Insurance rates

What is this step system you speak of?

oh wait... it looks like you guys are all from MA right? Is this something just for your state? I'm just a dumb NH hick.

TL1000R --- For those who like to drive high speed tanks

Insurance rates

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    I'm paying ~170 a year with a previous-system Step 9 for full coverage.

2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Time to buy something with a little less bling factor?
    I'm guessing that the huge price difference has more to do with age or coverage amounts?? his bike is a 600 and in MA I think the CC's are an important factor.

My drz400 costs me quite a bit more than 170 and Ive got a very clean record, but my coverage limits are very high.

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Insurance rates

I was 25 at my $170 rate. That's with a 1200 cc bike. Probably more theft rate/geographic location.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2020 BMW R1250GS Adventure Exclusive
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Insurance rates

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    I was 25 at my $170 rate. That's with a 1200 cc bike. Probably more theft rate/geographic location.

Probably more the type of bike than the cc's. GSXR is the fastest bike Suzuki makes; the ZRX is more in the class of a Suzuki Bandit. You see a lot more GSXR's wadded up than ZRX's.

Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Insurance rates

I moved from south boston to somerville...my insurance dropped over $400 for the year. It seems that where you live is a huge factor for bikes.

Insurance rates

Quote Originally Posted by LiononaLeash View Post
    What is this step system you speak of?

oh wait... it looks like you guys are all from MA right? Is this something just for your state? I'm just a dumb NH hick.
    ...with reasonable insurance rates! I pay less than $300/year on the TL-R. Full coverage, year 'round...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Lifer

Insurance rates

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    ...with reasonable insurance rates! I pay less than $300/year on the TL-R. Full coverage, year 'round...
    through what agency?

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Insurance rates

Ok so it sounds like it's a combination of bike type and the fac that I live in Springfield, and possibly really jacked up limits.

2004 GSXR 600

Lifer

Insurance rates

Springfield is probably the issue.

Model of bike is *claimed* to not matter by my insurance agent. All bikes are either "Under 600cc" or "Over 600cc" in MA.

My insurance was like $600 this year. My bike is 800cc. I have everything including greater then the minimums on liability, etc.. but I do have a $1000 deductible. I keep full coverage for the winter.

Springfield is probably hurting you a TON. I had my rate double when I moved to Waltham in 2003.

However your driving record is the big thing. When I hit 5 years no incidents this year my insurance dropped from $1000 to $600.

Insurance rates

Yes, the price for full coverage depends on where you live. I pay $970 a year for full coverage on my 05 zx636 valued at 6.5k I'm in Somerville. 26 years old, no accidents or tickets. I'm at best step ( not sure...9? ) I feel I'm paying too much for insurance. Don't you guys think? I gotta shop around for next season, see maybe I can get better prices.
    Anyone has State Farm in MA? I heard they're one of the best in service and price.

ZX10R
    Ned

Insurance rates

Quote Originally Posted by nerijusj View Post
    Yes, the price for full coverage depends on where you live. I pay $970 a year for full coverage on my 05 zx636 valued at 6.5k I'm in Somerville. 26 years old, no accidents or tickets. I'm at best step ( not sure...9? ) I feel I'm paying too much for insurance. Don't you guys think? I gotta shop around for next season, see maybe I can get better prices.
    Anyone has State Farm in MA? I heard they're one of the best in service and price.
    I dont think youll find anything cheaper. The MA system is controlled by the state and you should get the same rate for the same coverage no matter where you go.

James

Insurance rates

Quote Originally Posted by hessogood View Post
    through what agency?
    State Farm, Rene LeClerc in Hooksett. Don't forget where I live though. Plus I'm married. All that plays a big role in rates...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Lifer

Insurance rates

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    State Farm, Rene LeClerc in Hooksett. Don't forget where I live though. Plus I'm married. All that plays a big role in rates...
    So you want me to get married and move next door? It seems like a big step for low insurance...but what the hell, I'll give it a shot.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Insurance rates

Quote Originally Posted by nerijusj View Post
    Last I checked State Farm will not insure here since the rates are set by the state.

I just switched insurance companies and saved $200/year and even increased all my limits. I know a lot of people here do not like Commerce but that is who I went with. When I did make the switch, my agent messed up and said I had not been licensed for a motorcycle for 6 years and the rate almost doubled, so that could be a factor as well.