Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pilot Power Race warm-up?

So, I've got a set of Pilot Power Race tires for the KTM (both soft compound for better or worse... it was what they had on hand). I've never ridden them before and am wondering what to expect. I don't have tire warmers... Roughly how long should I expect it to take them to warm up? Is it one lap? Three? Pi?

I have a bunch of experience with regular Pilot Powers, I'm just not sure how they compare. Also, are they completely useless in the rain?

Many thanks.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Just Registered Crash Dummy Denno's Avatar

1-2 Laps to warm up! ur gonna the pilots

ull be fine in the rain

Denno - CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 Yamaha R6
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2008

Lifer

DOTs aren't too bad in the rain, slicks are completely useless in the slightly damp. They should be warming pretty well towards the end of the first lap and be up to full temp through the carcass about 1.5 in with no warmers. I can't help you with pressures since I don't know anything about the brand. I use my hand to adjust pressure on my motard tires. I just test the temp of the tires with my hand when I come off the track and adjust according to that and how they felt on the track.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Everybody to the limit!

Race tires are not street tires, they don't like to stick in the rain and they don't like to stick when they're cold. But as long as you are conscious of that, they won't put you on your ass in either condition.

I agree with Jay, after about e/2 - pi/2 laps the dots should be up to temp. At which point their performance shoud transcend that of a street tire. Oh ho ho.

I usually do a few rev limiter rolling burnouts then a few 1200 foot stoppies.

Then you're ready to go.

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Thanks guys... Wheelset should be landing on my doorstep any minute now. Bike is almost ready to go. Just need to fab a catch can... Any chance on passing tech without one? I think I'm gonna stick it where the E-starter would be on this bike. Looks like there's enough room and it's right under the carb, so those hoses should route nicely. Man-o-manomanoman. It's getting exciting.

Lifer

There are some chances of passing tech. make sure the vent hoses can breath. I zip tied a water bottle to my bike and shoved the hoses in this weekend for the supermoto race. Don't have to be all that fancy.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Just Registered Crash Dummy Denno's Avatar

take the gixxer man

Denno - CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 Yamaha R6
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2008

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth R6 View Post
    take the gixxer man
    The Gixxer won't pass penguin tech and modding it so that it will would tank the value of the bike at least a thousand dollars instantly.

What would you need to do for the penguin? My buddy brought his brand new 05 750 up there and he basicallly just taped the lights and put water in.

Nah, I'm way past the point of no return on the KTM. I had considered riding the GSXR, but I was never even remotely crazy about the idea. All that motor would just be a liability with me at the controls. I probably would have ridden it in "C" mode, but I think it would still be a little much, anyway. I expect to be real slow on the KTM, due to my unfamiliarity/comfort level, but I think it was (is) the right choice.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by xxdcmast View Post
    What would you need to do for the penguin? My buddy brought his brand new 05 750 up there and he basicallly just taped the lights and put water in.
    Forgot he's only doing the school and not the license. Regardless, the KTM is a far better choice.

Ah, it's a slippery slope. If everything goes well on Friday and I feel comfortable enough I may be back on Saturday for some racing. It's pretty late in the season, but whatever. I'm just kind of taking this one step at a time, but I want to be able to pass race tech before I go, just in case. I wouldn't have enough time to pull it all together after Friday. I have A LOT to learn here.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by trickphoto View Post
    Ah, it's a slippery slope. If everything goes well on Friday and I feel comfortable enough I may be back on Saturday for some racing. It's pretty late in the season, but whatever. I'm just kind of taking this one step at a time, but I want to be able to pass race tech before I go, just in case. I wouldn't have enough time to pull it all together after Friday. I have A LOT to learn here.
    Well you have a place to stay and whatever you need on call if you choose to use it.

Thanks, Jay. I REALLY appreciate that offer. I'm sure I'll have tons of questions. BTW, Just got a call from the wife... Wheels just arrived

Quote Originally Posted by hessogood View Post
    Well you have a place to stay and whatever you need on call if you choose to use it.
    Dude we can safety wire that KTM in about 1 hour. No excuses now man. We will make sure your bike passes tech come saturday morning. You gott do the rookie race man!!!!

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Thanks!
    Safety wire is done!
    My main issue is that I just got the 17" wheels today and discovered that my 160 Rear tire is too big... just barely. I'm gonna order a 150 and pray it fits... It should, but if it doesn't I'm afraid I could be screwed. The rim is 5", so I probably shouldn't even be running a 150... looks like I maybe should have gone with the narrower rear rim, but everything I read seemed to say the 5" was cool and White Borthers keeps that hub/rim combo in stock, so it must work. Ah, whaddayagonnado?
    That 160 looks bad ass, though

Thanks!
    Safety wire is done!
    My main issue is that I just got the 17" wheels today and discovered that my 160 Rear tire is too big... just barely. I'm gonna order a 150 and pray it fits... It should, but if it doesn't I'm afraid I could be screwed. The rim is 5", so I probably shouldn't even be running a 150... looks like I maybe should have gone with the narrower rear rim, but everything I read seemed to say the 5" was cool and White Borthers keeps that hub/rim combo in stock, so it must work. Ah, whaddayagonnado?
    That 160 looks bad ass, though
    Mike, I have a 160 with a 5" rim on my KTM and the 165 dunlop slick fit on fine but when I changed it to a 160 pilot power, the tire was rubbing the swingarm on the right side. You're going to want to move the axle as far back as possible, almost to the last bit of adjustment..I dropped 3 teeth on the rear sprocket and it gave me most of the room I needed. Even then, I still took a block plain and shaved a bit off the sidewall of the tire.
    Moving the rim over using the spokes is another option that I've seen people do, though I'm not crazy about that idea.

Oh yeah..and the 160 on the 5" rim does look pretty pimp

Yamaha

Really? Hmmmm... you have the KTM wheelset? I wonder if the Excel rim makes a big enough difference. It's close, but it doesn't really look like it has a chance. If I move it too far back the rim is in danger of contacting the bolts that secure the chain guide.

So frickin close... After a second look (thanks, Mark) I think it could fit, but it would require machining the chain guide, shimming the silencer and shaving the tire... and it would still be really close... close enough to draw some attention at tech, I think. So, I'm gonna order the 150 and take it from there. I think it's gonna work.

Really? Hmmmm... you have the KTM wheelset? I wonder if the Excel rim makes a big enough difference. It's close, but it doesn't really look like it has a chance. If I move it too far back the rim is in danger of contacting the bolts that secure the chain guide.

Yes, mine is the KTM wheelset. Also forgot to mention about the chain guide, sence you're not in any danger of smashing it on rocks and roots, take the aluminum guide off and just keep the plastic part there, and flip the bolts around so the head is on the inside of the swingarm and the nuts are on the outside. Next question?

Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    Next question?
    haaaaaaaa....
    Holy shit that's a good idea.

Do you have to worry about compressing the suspension and running the tire into the silencer/airbox? Looks like it won't fit in between the two.

the 150 doesn't work so good on a 5" rim... trust me!

I actually took my pilot power race 160 and shaved it like mark said with a block plain... then it cleared nicely. chain still smacked once in a while... nothing worth worrying about. This isn't something the penguin tech guys would likely notice. I also added a sprocket spacer kit later on, just as a precaution... no contact on any side now at all.

The dunlop profile does fit that bike a lot better.

also... you're gonna want a supermoto fender... they are cheap. Do iT !

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

Quote Originally Posted by oreo_n2 View Post
    also... you're gonna want a supermoto fender... they are cheap. Do iT !
    Ha, yeah, I was waiting for someone to point that out.
    I have one arriving in my last parts order... should show up today or tomorrow.

So, does the chainring spacer kit just shim out the chainring or does it also move the countershaft sprocket and/or chain guide?

it moves both. gets ya another 1/4." I seem to recall having to play with the chain guide a little too.
    I think... lopycam might have a kit sitting around. he ordered both of ours at the same time... and i dont think he put his on... he didn't need it with the pilot power street tires hes running.

When you're at loudon check out other KTM's... specifically there are a lot of 525's running the stock wheels and excel wheels with dunlops... no chain smack on the tires. but PLENTY of it on the rims. it leaves this really cool symmetrical cross hatch pattern on the side of the rim. The spacer kit helps with that too.

also... Mark mentioned moving the rim by playing with the spokes for additional offset. i have heard good and bad about it... if you ever decide to try something like that, just make sure you dont sacrifice too much clearance near your rear brake caliper. ;-)

and yes... your tire will probably hit your exhaust can. dont worry about it.

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast