Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Chain slack

Chain slack

I was showing my bike to a buddy and notice the chain was hitting the exhaust pipe due to a lot of slack. Few questions..

What do I need to do and how much is going to cost me?

I wanted to ride the bike to work tomorrow since I had a dentist's appt right after....

Bad idea?

And finally, I've been having trouble starting the bike (very delayed start if I'm lucky). I've replaced the battery with an autozone off the shelf one (magnapower) since that was the only thing available and local at the time and it hasn't helped much. Possible that the battery does not have enough cca's although it is rated at 180+. I haven't had the chance to go pick up a Yuasa battery. Before I spend the money on another battery, does chain slack have anything to do with starting issues?

Bike is a 2002 TL1000R

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Re: Chain slack

First off, see if you have some adjustment left to tighten it up before it reaches the "replace" markers.

If you do need to replace the chain, make sure to inspect the sprockets. I replace both the chain and sprockets at the same time.

You can get sets and have them installed for about $200ish and up, depending on what you get and who you get to install them.

Oh, and read the service manual on what is reasonable for chain slack on your bike. Usually it's around 1.2" - 1.6" of slack.

Last edited by The Snowman; 04-13-09 at 09:18 PM.
    CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

chain slack has nothing to do with the starting issue. is the battery fully charged?

regarding the chain, i agree 100% with blade runner.... but if you do need to replace it, where are you located? a lot of people are probably willing to help and save you some $$$

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

I honestly have no idea how to check any of that stuff that you mentioned blade rider. I'm pretty mechanically inclined but a chain is not something I've ever looked at.

The battery is new and was charged prior to install-- just do not know if it is strong enough battery. Part numbers do not match but came close in size.

I'm in Hyde Park near Dedham..

meet up with me tomorrow if you want your chain tightened. i'm in quincy, and i'll be riding around. i dont have an alignment tool yet, but i can at least get it better than it is now. i'll give you a quick 101 lesson on chain maintenance.

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

... and there you go. chain problem solved.

regarding the battery, what is the cca of the stock battery vs. the one you bought?

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

DB - what time is good for you? I get out of work at 5 (in Boston) but can leave a few hours early if need be. And where abouts in Quincy? My sister lives on Hall Place if you're familiar with the area. All I can tell you is there's a church, a baseball field and most importantly, a liquor store all in the area.

So I can ride it with the chain being as is? It's literally hitting the exhaust pipe right now. Not sure if the tension increases at all with motor running.

As for the battery, the Yuasa is 175 cca's. Not sure what the bike comes with stock. I could not find the exact size autozone battery I have online but found other sizes all with a rating of 180+ I've been too busy that the last few days to pull the battery out again to check on this particular size.

i wouldnt ride it to work, but people do crazier things.

as far as your description in quincy, that is as specific as saying to look for a drunken irish guy in southie. i'm guessing she lives in wallaston, right out side of quincy center. there are a few baseball fields in quincy, and next to liquor stores.

EX 105

can you post a close up picture of your rear sprocket? i want to see the teeth wear. if they're really worn, people on here might suggest just ordering a chain & sprocket kit.

EX 105

Quote Originally Posted by DBConz View Post
    can you post a close up picture of your rear sprocket? i want to see the teeth wear. if they're really worn, people on here might suggest just ordering a chain & sprocket kit.
    Sure, just need to charge my camera batteries for 10-15 minutes...

just a shot in the dark, but do you know if you have a steel or aluminum rear sprocket, or when it's been installed (miles)?

EX 105

If there's that much chain slack then there's that little chain maintenance.

I'm gonna go ahead and say "order a new chain and sprockets".

EK chain, Sunstar sprockets

Cheap and good.

just a shot in the dark, but do you know if you have a steel or aluminum rear sprocket, or when it's been installed (miles)?
    Lol, yeah really dark... a/k/a no

Quote Originally Posted by bergs View Post
    EK chain, Sunstar sprockets
    sunstar is the OEM brand for suzuki's, and is exactly what i'd suggest also.
    i'd recommend a DID chain though instead, even though either are fine & there would be a 8968946547209 post discussion on chains.

EX 105

meet up with me tomorrow if you want your chain tightened. i'm in quincy, and i'll be riding around. i dont have an alignment tool yet, but i can at least get it better than it is now. i'll give you a quick 101 lesson on chain maintenance.
    jim is the master when it comes to chains, he'll take good care of you.

from what i could find 175cca is the stock rating for your TL, so you should be in good shape with your replacement battery. it might seem too easy, but double check your connections and tighten the nuts on the battery...sometimes that's all it takes to clear up the issue. you should not be able to twist the clamps on the posts with moderate force. if they're corroded, pull the clamps off the posts and use some baking soda paste & a toothbrush to clean them up.

if you are still having trouble with your electrical, let me know and i can drag a multimeter in w/me to work & check it out for you.

Last edited by drop; 04-13-09 at 10:58 PM.
    - Jamie
    2009 K 1300 S

sunstar is the OEM brand for suzuki's, and is exactly what i'd suggest also.
    i'd recommend a DID chain though instead, even though either are fine & there would be a 8968946547209 post discussion on chains.
    Yar!!

can you post a close up picture of your rear sprocket? i want to see the teeth wear.
    cant tell from that angle, but that rear sprocket looks done. the teeth look a bit rounded off. that chain is more of an eye sore than seeing that picture of GixerJockey's balls.

if you're on a strict low budget, we need to AT LEAST clean that chain in kerosene using my grunch brush, and tighten that chain.

depending where you go for an inspection sticker, they may fail you for a severely worn rear sprocket (it happened to me....2 different shops).

EX 105

cant tell from that angle, but that rear sprocket looks done. the teeth look a bit rounded off. that chain is more of an eye sore than seeing that picture of GixerJockey's balls.

if you're on a strict low budget, we need to AT LEAST clean that chain in kerosene using my grunch brush, and tighten that chain.

depending where you go for an inspection sticker, they may fail you for a severely worn rear sprocket (it happened to me....2 different shops).
    If I can get all the parts for under $200-250, I guess I can live with that for now. I was hoping not to invest too much into this bike as the comfort level just is not there. I thought about selling it already as soon as the title gets here and buying another R1. I guess it's only the right thing to do though to get everything running perfectly before sending it off to someone else..

The only concern now is getting the bike to Quincy with the chain hitting the exhaust. Not sure about Wolloston but I think there's an Ace Hardware down the street(or some hardware store that's visible from the highway) and Bob's Speed shop is one street over.

Quote Originally Posted by GreekR1 View Post
    The only concern now is getting the bike to Quincy with the chain hitting the exhaust. Not sure about Wolloston but I think there's an Ace Hardware down the street(or some hardware store that's visible from the highway) and Bob's Speed shop is one street over.
    i know exactly where that is now.

if you have a screwdriver, and two 10mm wrenches (open) i could probably meet up at your place over the weekend or a day off & get it close.

you need a rear stand to lift the tire up to clean the chain. i have one at my house, as well as the cleaning tools. just get the chain tighter & deal with the maintenance after.

EX 105

Front sprocket - $20-$25
    Rear sprocket - $45-$60
    Chain - $100-$135

I'd say you'd be well under $250 for parts.

EDIT: Your rear sprocket is hosed.

i know exactly where that is now.

if you have a screwdriver, and two 10mm wrenches (open) i could probably meet up at your place over the weekend or a day off & get it close.

you need a rear stand to lift the tire up to clean the chain. i have one at my house, as well as the cleaning tools. just get the chain tighter & deal with the maintenance after.
    I'm going to have to buy a stand. I'm going to look right now online for one. I have tons of tools at my house in Hyde Park and can bring whatever you want / need to my sister's house in Quincy. I'm just hoping it'll make it up there. This stinks... another week of taking the train into Boston instead of the bike

if you do end up with a new chain & sprocket kit, make sure you clean & lube your chain every 300 miles. there are people on here that claim 30,000 miles on one chain/sprocket kit when they do take care of it.

i got about 8k miles on my set up last season, and still have not needed to tighten my chain.

EX 105

Banned

if you do end up with a new chain & sprocket kit, make sure you clean & lube your chain every 300 miles. there are people on here that claim 30,000 miles on one chain/sprocket kit when they do take care of it.

i got about 8k miles on my set up last season, and still have not needed to tighten my chain.
    I have never needed a new chain on a bike. 8k miles is about 10 years for me, LOL.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast