Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Spark plugs recommendations?

Spark plugs recommendations?

Got a 2000 R6 and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for motorcycle spark plugs or does not really matter? It's an older bike so I'm not looking to "spare-no-expense" for plugs going into an older bike. Found iridiums which seems reasonable at $33 for 4.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Spark plugs recommendations?

Dave, I actually just bought some plugs for our bike, NGK CR10EK, 28.00 for four....go to advanced auto parts.
    Part no 2360

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
    08 CBR 1000RR street bike
    99 R6 track bike
    02 F4i sold to a nesr member

Lifer

The predominant thinking within V-Strom circles seems to be that one should go for iridium plugs for extended service life, not necessarily any performance increase. Most suggest that a set of iridium plugs should last ~100k easy on the 'strom. So they become an install 'em and forget 'em item.

I plan to spring for a set this off-season myself.

Iridiums are a performance damper, not boost. Iridium has a higher resistance, so you loose some spark energy with them. In exchange you get a longer lasting plug. If you're not loosing plugs due to electrode wear, don't bother paying for iridiums.

Lifer

Interesting. I thought iridium plugs were pushed as the high performance option. This is why yous see them as OEM on all the high perf sport bikes. Or so I thought.

With a modern motorcycle with a new-ish ignition system in good working order, do you think the extra resistance is enough to seriously effect performance?
    On a street motorcycle, I'm wonder what the real performance trade-off is vs the luxury of not having to pull the motorcycle apart to replace plugs. (Plug changes are not trivial on my 4-plug V-Strom.)

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Most suggest that a set of iridium plugs should last ~100k easy on the 'strom. So they become an install 'em and forget 'em item.

I plan to spring for a set this off-season myself.
    Until you have to change them and you rip out all the threads in the head because steel plugs and aluminum head fuse together. You know that whole dissimilar material thing..

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

Interesting. I thought iridium plugs were pushed as the high performance option. This is why yous see them as OEM on all the high perf sport bikes. Or so I thought.

With a modern motorcycle with a new-ish ignition system in good working order, do you think the extra resistance is enough to seriously effect performance?
    On a street motorcycle, I'm wonder what the real performance trade-off is vs the luxury of not having to pull the motorcycle apart to replace plugs. (Plug changes are not trivial on my 4-plug V-Strom.)
    As long as you have enough spark to get the job started, you won't see any measurable change until you toss so much energy in that the flame front is too violent and causes detonation or incomplete combustion. Anywhere in between it just works, so you won't see a degradation in perf from iridiums unless your ignition system is suspect.

How bad are your plugs wearing now?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Iridiums are a performance damper, not boost. Iridium has a higher resistance, so you loose some spark energy with them.
    Is it really that simple though? Iridium has more resistance than copper but less than platinum putting it somewhere in the middle of the pack resistance wise. Due to how hard iridium is, the electrode can have a very fine point allowing for a more concentrated spark with less input power than traditional copper plugs.

In reality the resistance differences between the different plug types are negligible. On a stock engine it's highly unlikely you would notice any power or fuel mileage differences between new plugs of any type. There is no doubt that exotic metal plugs will maintain their performance over a longer period of time with iridium leading the pack.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    How bad are your plugs wearing now?
    I have no idea. Manual says replace at 7500 miles. I am at 15,000 and way too busy riding the piss out of it.

It has stalled randomly on me twice this summer. Both times I wondered if it was related to the plugs. Purrs at speed though.

Also my engine is a twin plug design.

Quote Originally Posted by j4eric View Post
    Dave, I actually just bought some plugs for our bike, NGK CR10EK, 28.00 for four....go to advanced auto parts.
    Part no 2360
    Dave?!
    Kumplestiltsken, he talking to you? Dave?

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Dave?!
    Kumplestiltsken, he talking to you? Dave?
    It's mostly all the climbers know me as Kumpy. I'm working on it with the riders. I prefer Kumpy cause when you hear Dave, usually more than one guy pops up!