Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

anyone wanna help me do my fork seals?

anyone wanna help me do my fork seals?

ok here is the deal bought the bike non runner, looked like shit, smelled like mouse piss"mouse made a nice home in the exhaust pipe", tires weather beat and half rotted, fuel tank rusted so bad there were holes in it, all 4 carbs torn completely apart and placed in 1 small box and the list goes on.

well now my pics speak for themselves. well in a box of parts that came with the bike were new fork seals. ive managed to do everything myself but would like some help doing the seals. so if anyone live around central CT or cares to venture out this way shoot me a pm, we can work out a day or night. oh i have very limited tools VERY limited. and the fork cap requires a 17mm allen. yup thats right a 17mm allen. ive tried the old 17mm bolt upside down with a wrench but no luck. im going to see if i can get someone to weld a nut on the bolt so i can use a socket. but till then....anytakers? or even some advise would be helpful. ive got a clymer but it desnt go into detail like i would like.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    1979 HONDA CB750F
    900+ miles and counting this season.
    I like my wifie how I like my bikes...... NAKED & READY TO RIDE.

Re: anyone wanna help me do my fork seals?

Talk to Tricky Mike.

You need an impact wrench if your LUCKY it will spin it off other wise devise a tool to hold inner tube I was successful sometimes with an easy out on a series of extensions and a square drive..

You have a great OLD bike ... look at the fork tubes if they are badly pitted your pissing in the wind they will weep with new seals too. I have had limited success scrubbing down the tubes finally brake cleaner then using an old clean seal to wipe jb weld into the pits. If just some funny finish I recommend buffing them in the travel direction.

OR bite the bullet and GMD or

It f'n riding season put in some automatic transmission sealing chemicals for a month ride the beotch till next winter then tear her down

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

Quote Originally Posted by richw View Post
    You need an impact wrench if your LUCKY it will spin it off other wise devise a tool to hold inner tube I was successful sometimes with an easy out on a series of extensions and a square drive..

You have a great OLD bike ... look at the fork tubes if they are badly pitted your pissing in the wind they will weep with new seals too. I have had limited success scrubbing down the tubes finally brake cleaner then using an old clean seal to wipe jb weld into the pits. If just some funny finish I recommend buffing them in the travel direction.

OR bite the bullet and GMD or

It f'n riding season put in some automatic transmission sealing chemicals for a month ride the beotch till next winter then tear her down

thanks for your insight. as for the tubes they are in great shape no pitting anywhere, just some old seals that are i hate to say 30 yrs old and got 24,xx miles on them "YIKES". i know i know they need to be done asap thats why im doing it this weekend, well at least im going to attempt it lol. i know its riding season but i would rather be safe then sorry and i dont want to add anything other the atf or fork oil as the less cleaning the better right? wouldnt the sealer bind up any dirt inside the fork and turn it to sludge? i dont know ive never mess with forks before. i have done everything on this bike myself other then the mounting of tires. i sync'd my carbs and tuned them myself painted the bike and rebuilt the brakes checked all the valve specs and i think this would be good for me to learn, but i want to do it right and safe. any other tricks you got?? but.... if its to much of a pain lol i might just do the add some atf and ride lol

oh thank you for your comment on my "great old bike" she is wonderful a definate diamond in the rough.

1979 HONDA CB750F
    900+ miles and counting this season.
    I like my wifie how I like my bikes...... NAKED & READY TO RIDE.