Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Hello from San diego, soon to be Boston

Re: Hello from San diego, soon to be Boston

Quote Originally Posted by DZircher View Post
    Welcome to Boston!!
    not there yet but very excited. thank you for the welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by me109g4 View Post
    You will surely miss that wonderful San Diego weather, the times i was out there i wish i had a bike to ride.
    yea, I'll miss it sometimes, but there's a lot I've never experience having been in socal all of my life. honestly i am more excited to experience actual season than i am sad about leaving San Diego weather. worst part isnt leaving the weather, moto roads, tracks its leaving friends. weather is nothing compared to moving somewhere where you know no one. but that's why i am here!!!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

If you've grown up in socal, you will enjoy the snow. I promise

Oh, and you don't need AWD or some big SUV. Just good car control, patience, and proper condition tires. The snow is beautiful. The first heavy snow fall, make sure you get outside and go for a walk. Dress warm, and most importantly, don't *think* about how cold it is and it really doens't feel that bad.

nedirtriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    If you've grown up in socal, you will enjoy the snow. I promise

Oh, and you don't need AWD or some big SUV. Just good car control, patience, and proper condition tires. The snow is beautiful. The first heavy snow fall, make sure you get outside and go for a walk. Dress warm, and most importantly, don't *think* about how cold it is and it really doens't feel that bad.
    Thanks for the info. We actually already have a Subaru forester so we got AWD anyways hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw1776 View Post
    Thanks for the info. We actually already have a Subaru forester so we got AWD anyways hahaha.
    AWD doesn't help you stop or turn at all. And most older Subarus came with "All Season" tires that were terrible on ice and snow - Bridgestone RE92A's.

All Seasons are called "No Seasons" or "No Reasons" by the guys at the TON winter driving school. There's only one passenger car All Season that has the severe snow [Mountain Snowflake icon] rating: the Nokian WRG2.

You'll laugh at how many Subarus there are in New England: over 4,000 registered in Boston, alone.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    AWD doesn't help you stop or turn at all. And most older Subarus came with "All Season" tires that were terrible on ice and snow - Bridgestone RE92A's.

All Seasons are called "No Seasons" or "No Reasons" by the guys at the TON winter driving school. There's only one passenger car All Season that has the severe snow [Mountain Snowflake icon] rating: the Nokian WRG2.

You'll laugh at how many Subarus there are in New England: over 4,000 registered in Boston, alone.
    Right, it doesn't hurt to have. But a lot of people think it's a magical super device that is like snow-god-mode for their car.

I don't know why, but the concept of snow tires is lost on a lot of MA. You go up to NH, VT, and ME and you'll see most cars have snow tires on during the season but MA skips that. Snow tires ARE the silver bullet, they improve stopped, turning, and acceleration. The cheapest long term option is to have them mounted on a set of cheap junk yard (or subaru forum) steel rims and swap them yourself. The spair tire jack will do the trick as long as you don't ever put any body parts under the car. But don't freak out if you have all seasons, just move slow. Give yourself enormous amounts of room and practice when you get the chance. If you have "summer" tires, skip the driving and walk

Enough about snow. Have any big plans or goals besides the degree while you're out here?

Last edited by aldend123; 11-17-12 at 02:11 AM.
    nedirtriders.com

Right, it doesn't hurt to have. But a lot of people think it's a magical super device that is like snow-god-mode for their car.

I don't know why, but the concept of snow tires is lost on a lot of MA. You go up to NH, VT, and ME and you'll see most cars have snow tires on during the season but MA skips that. Snow tires ARE the silver bullet, they improve stopped, turning, and acceleration. The cheapest long term option is to have them mounted on a set of cheap junk yard (or subaru forum) steel rims and swap them yourself. The spair tire jack will do the trick as long as you don't ever put any body parts under the car. But don't freak out if you have all seasons, just move slow. Give yourself enormous amounts of room and practice when you get the chance. If you have "summer" tires, skip the driving and walk

Enough about snow. Have any big plans or goals besides the degree while you're out here?
    We were going to buy the car regardless of the AWD most likely. I've driven my girls Honda fit in some decent snow and it did pretty good so i wasn't worried about having a FWD car. not going to have room in the car for a spare set of wheels. maybe when we get out there, but we don't plan on driving too much, especially in the winter. i know you said enough about snow, but whats the deal with chains? here in the mountains if its snowing they are the norm. but i remember hearing that a lot of places they are not allowed because they chew up the road. should i pick up a set to leave in the car just in case or would it be a waste? that applies to the drive across the country too.

As far as plans, aside from school related stuff like internships and a career after school, not really. depending on funds i would like to get some track days in. before the move was finalized i was going to try and get into racing, but unless i get a kick ass awesome paying paid internship, prob not going to happen. but really we just want to explore and take in as much as possible. I've been to new england but not since i was like 12(will be 27 in a month), the fiance has never been, so there is a lot to see and do and take in.

Last edited by warsaw1776; 11-17-12 at 03:19 AM.

Owner's manuals often suggest that FWD cars can't accommodate chains but most cars sold will fit "S" class chains.

They aren't common in Boston because the city usually gets down to bare roads pretty quickly after a storm. Because Boston is right next to a giant heat sink (the Atlantic) it gets less snow: an average of about 45 inches per season at Logan Airport on Boston Harbor. To put that in perspective, the Blue Hill Observatory is only a few miles inland and they average 60" per season.

Chains aren't common on passenger cars in Boston because the main roads get down to bare pavement pretty quickly and it's not too hilly in most neighborhoods. YMMV: we lived on Dorchester Heights and parking on a hill almost required snow tires.

Modern snow tires are not like your dad's and a tire like the Michelin X-Ice Xi2 has pretty amazing traction on ice and snow without being noisy, getting poor mileage or ruining dry and wet road handling.

I don't know why, but the concept of snow tires is lost on a lot of MA. You go up to NH, VT, and ME and you'll see most cars have snow tires on during the season but MA skips that./
    You'd be surprised. I went to a mall parking lot in S Burlington, VT after a storm and only about 30% of the cars had snow tires. The highest % of cars I've seen with snows is in NH Concord and North, but it's still only about half. A lot of people believe this business about "All-Season" tires. It's complete malarky. That said, it's pretty rare to see cars with snow tires in Boston. Asied from purchase cost, they don't really cost you very much since you are splitting wear between two sets of tires but that's lost on many.

This is the time of year to be looking for deals on used wheels with mounted snows. I picked up a set of steel rims with one season old Blizzaks for my SIL for $300 last year. As soon as it snows once all the deals disappear.

Last edited by Garandman; 11-17-12 at 09:07 AM.

If you want to do some real riding in the northeast, head up this way into either NH or VT some weekend. The roads may be a bit rough, but they're a heck of a lot of fun and very scenic.

And keep an eye on the forums once spring rolls around, lots of group rides pop up once the snow starts receding.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Not sure if this would be something that would interest you but I will through it out there. I go this during the summer, see a lot of neat stuff.

http://www.motorcyclenight.com/

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

i had always driven trucks with off road tires and they always did great in the snow. i bought a car and after going through 1 winter with the all seasons on it i bought snows on wheels for $300. bought snow tires for my girls elantra, then bought them for her forester when she got rid of the elantra. its the only way to go.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

well you guys are making me nervous about driving out there. we have new tires but they aren't snow tires.

Snow tires are a very good thing to have here in the northeast. They make a very dramatic difference from all seasons. My wife almost crashed her car on a hill because she was driving on all seasons and the car simply could not grip the road surface because it was slushy/icy. We bought her snow tires immediately afterward, and she swears by them now.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw1776 View Post
    well you guys are making me nervous about driving out there. we have new tires but they aren't snow tires.
    So just get snow tires. It really isn't a big deal. I got some barely used Enkei rims with brand new snows off Craigslist last year for $400. Or don't drive until the roads are cleared (in Boston, this is very easy to accomplish). Contrary to what some people who are not from here believe (my husband's cousin is from SD and had this delusion), it does not snow constantly out here, and the roads are typically cleared off within a few hours after a storm. We will likely get a fair amount of snow this winter (last year we only had 2 storms, so usually that means we're going to get hit the next year), but it doesn't snow every day. It's like rain, it does sometimes, and it's sunny the rest of the time....only difference is, rain doesn't hang on your front yard.

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

Quote Originally Posted by mzdagrl View Post
    So just get snow tires. It really isn't a big deal. I got some barely used Enkei rims with brand new snows off Craigslist last year for $400. Or don't drive until the roads are cleared (in Boston, this is very easy to accomplish). Contrary to what some peoplee who are not from here believe (my husband's cousin is from SD and had this delusion), it does not snow constantly out here, and the roads are typically cleared off within a few hours after a storm. We will likely get a fair amount of snow this winter (last year we only had 2 storms, so usually that means we're going to get hit the next year), but it doesn't snow every day. It's like rain, it does sometimes, and it's sunny the rest of the time....only difference is, rain doesn't hang on your front yard.
    I looked here and there are no snow tires for sale on craiglist. But I'm not too worried. Plus its prob not practical drive across country on them, if we can't make it I will throw some chains on to make it up a hill or something and take them off. Once we get to Boston we will prob only use the car at first to get some furniture and what not so w can wait for the roads to be clear if its an issue.

Found a place in Jamaica plain, someone mind looking at the ad and telling me what they think? Pm me and I can send the link

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

buy them when you get here. get the craigslist app for your phone. it will alert you when your search criteria pops up.

its all a moot point. the world is going to end in a few weeks anyway

Last edited by SVRACER01; 11-18-12 at 10:41 AM.
    When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Lifer
    Wirelessly posted

I have been using all season Tires for almost 9 years since Iwas in a condo. You can definitely get by if you drive smart. I would still like Snow tires if given a choice ..,

Quote Originally Posted by rice_rocket View Post
    I have been using all season Tires for almost 9 years since I was in a condo. You can definitely get by if you drive smart. I would still like Snow tires if given a choice ..,
    Yeah, I've been behind folks like you. It's wonderful, going 15mph and watching them slide all over the place, and hitting the brakes every 50 feet.

The only part of a car that touches the road is the tires, yet that's where people scrimp. Never understood that.

Last edited by Garandman; 11-19-12 at 08:21 AM.

Lifer
    Wirelessly posted

That certainly doesn't sound like me at all...my commute is 30 miles into Boston each way...and my commute time never gets longer. I'd say I see people driving with winter tires or suvs who think they are indestructible and end up in the ditch..

Quote Originally Posted by rice_rocket View Post
    Wirelessly posted

That certainly doesn't sound like me at all...my commute is 30 miles into Boston each way...and my commute time never gets longer. I'd say I see people driving with winter tires or suvs who think they are indestructible and end up in the ditch..
    No, those are the people who think "You can definitely get by if you drive smart." and that the crap OEM A/S tires on their juggernauts are going to save them. But there will be plenty of winter driving threads so we shouldn't muddy this one.

I PM'd the OP to make sure he was looking in the right neighborhoods, since BU Medical Center is in the South End, not in the "hospital district" where people seem to think it is.

some people can't afford snow tires

I've never had snow tires and I've died 17 times driving in the winter. Definitely buy them.

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Lets start a petition to legalize lane splitting... i mean shit we have medicinal marijuana!!! LETS DO DIS!!!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    1995 Honda RVF400
    2003 SV650 Superbike ...eat a dick Scottie
    2007 Ducati S2R1000

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123