Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 717181920212223242526272829 LastLast

Vt Bike Night, Tuesdays at Donny's Pizza

Re: Vt Bike Night, Tuesdays at Donny's Pizza

Next ride we will go over proper group ride procedures like spacing and hand signals and what to do at a stop sign/ intersection etc

I was also made aware of "inappropriate activities" that happened after bike night.

I have reports of some riders from bike night acting stupid on I89 after bike night. Rest assured this will be handled swiftly.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Next ride we will go over proper group ride procedures like spacing and hand signals and what to do at a stop sign/ intersection etc

I was also made aware of "inappropriate activities" that happened after bike night.

I have reports of some riders from bike night acting stupid on I89 after bike night. Rest assured this will be handled swiftly.
    Yea...swiftly...ugh...no stoopid shit.

Work was great last night, my gf (BlueEyes) came over for dinner and some basketball...Doc called me round 9:30 and gave me an update. Glad things went well. Both of us are really happy with how things are turning out with Bike Night and happy with all ya'll that are part of the crew. Thanks for being good people!

Yup, next week will be at CC's for a Trial Run...could be good...spread the word to those not on the Forum.

And a side note...Marco's has an awesome menu, and is in no way "limited" as Doc said. Best pasta in town...no joke.

Carpe Diem
    '10 Yamaha R6-Race-
    '05 Aprilia Tuono Racing -Street-
    #46, Expert, CVMA -cvmaracing.com-

Quote Originally Posted by MotoFreak View Post
    And a side note...Marco's has an awesome menu, and is in no way "limited" as Doc said. Best pasta in town...no joke.

Unless they can put some tables outside it is a no go.

Anyone know Rob on the Red Buell? I think Allisa was his girlfriend? Who was the other guy with them (may have been Allisa's boyfriend) I was confused. Anyone got contact info for them?

Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

I understand that you are trying to promote safe riding and use of appropriate riding gear through bike night, but don't you think it might be a bit harsh to come down on folks for their riding choices outside of the event? I don't know the circumstances of the "stupid behavior on I89", but as you note it was clearly after bike night. If I get busted for speeding or doing something unsafe on my way to bike night it seems like it is my own issue. I agree that it would be entirely different if I was doing burnouts in front of Donnys while wearing a NESR bike night t-shirt (if they existed). In my opinion this sounds like this was a problem for the local LEO's, and if they missed seeing the event(s), then the riders get lucky. Unless they get busted and say they were coming from/to bike night. That is breaking the riders code and we should commence to stoning them.

Just my two cents, flame away.

And no, I didn't take I-89 on my way home, so I swear it wasn't me.

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    I understand that you are trying to promote safe riding and use of appropriate riding gear through bike night, but don't you think it might be a bit harsh to come down on folks for their riding choices outside of the event? I don't know the circumstances of the "stupid behavior on I89", but as you note it was clearly after bike night. If I get busted for speeding or doing something unsafe on my way to bike night it seems like it is my own issue. I agree that it would be entirely different if I was doing burnouts in front of Donnys while wearing a NESR bike night t-shirt (if they existed). In my opinion this sounds like this was a problem for the local LEO's, and if they missed seeing the event(s), then the riders get lucky. Unless they get busted and say they were coming from/to bike night. That is breaking the riders code and we should commence to stoning them.

Just my two cents, flame away.

And no, I didn't take I-89 on my way home, so I swear it wasn't me.
    I figured someone would bring this up so here is my response.

What you do outside of bike night or on "Non sponsored" rides is none of our business. Your on your own. Your absolutely right.

BUT

If your organizing a ride AT bike night and go on said ride I would think that the rules of Bike Night would apply.

Also if someone comes to me and complains about said ride I feel it is my duty to try to educate about not being stupid.

Would you agree?

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Trouble makes sense here. After we’ve dispersed and no longer in close proximity to the meeting location (where actions could jeopardize feelings in the community about bike night and/or attract law enforcement if routine) or in a group ride, I would think we are officially no longer part of the bike night gathering and responsible for our own actions as an individual, just like any other day of the week. (I didn't take I-89, either, don't even know who did, just chiming in.)

Are you saying the riders causing issues were part of a bike night group ride? It is unclear from your initial post.

I do like Marco's food, I used to eat there a lot when I worked in the South B.

If your organizing a ride AT bike night and go on said ride I would think that the rules of Bike Night would apply.
    Now that's just silly.......

Jake
    2006 ZX-10R
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Ok before this gets out of hand...

Bike Night is for Posing, Camraderie and promoting RESPONSIBLE motorcycling.

If you come to bike night I would think you would agree somewhat with those ideals

Everyone may have varying views on RESPONSIBLE.

BUT Lofting a wheelie behind someone and riding it past them in the same lane with the tire 2 feet from the dudes head while on I89 is NOT RESPONSIBLE.

If people associated w/Bike Night make a habit of riding like that after the event, I'd rather expect it to come back and impact the event...particularly when that kind of riding is done where it was last night (just past the I-89 on ramp in Williston, about 1/4 mile from the State Police barracks). That wasn't the only riding that was perceived as overly aggressive (aka the type of riding that gives sport bike riders a bad rep), but it seems to illustrate the issues fairly well.

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

After bike night on I-89? How about on the WAY from Donny's to Chicken Charlies I saw some of the squidliest riding I've seen in a long time; cutting in and out, passing on the right, etc, etc.

What you do on your bike is your business but I'm not gonna give you a chance to clip my tire and take me out. I'll be hanging way back on these rides from here on out.

Last edited by catamount; 07-16-08 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by catamount View Post
    After bike on? On the WAY from Donny's to Chicken Charlies I saw some of the squidliest riding I've seen in a long time; cutting in and out, passing on the right, etc, etc.

What you do on your bike is your business but I'm not gonna give you a chance to clip my tire and take me out. I'll be hanging way back on these rides from here on out.
    Case in point. Guidelines will be discussed and handouts will be handed out.

Those of you with some experience I would ask try to educate (nicely) those riders who may not have a clue.

That is what bike night is about too. Mentoring people who may not have had a chance to ride in groups.

I am sorry I didn't put out info last night. I assumed people knew how to ride in a group.

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

I'm gonna have to side with catamount and doc on this one...

I think it's a fine line. I entirely agree that it is best to keep rides on the up and up. I think how you handle this situation is could set a protocol, and I think it's important to keep this from degenerating into a bunch of hooligans terrorizing the local neighborhoods. I will also be upfront and tell you that I occassionally break speed limits and may pass cars in locations that it is recommended that I don't pass cars. I may do this on the way to and from bike night. I might even be riding with other bike night riders at the time. Please don't yell at me too loudly.

Just read your next post. Yeah, that's pretty much bullshit. If I was that other rider I'd be pissed, and I probably wouldn't ride with that person again.

Shit, I can't keep up with the posts. I strongly agree with Catamount. I was pretty happy being in the back of the pack. Too much adrenaline amongst a pack mentality. It's like a bunch of apes beating their chests, trying to prove they have the biggest penis. Probably not too safe either. We definately need to clean up the parade lap. There shouldn't be any argument from anyone there. If you can't behave, go ride on your own.

I figured someone would bring this up so here is my response.

What you do outside of bike night or on "Non sponsored" rides is none of our business. Your on your own. Your absolutely right.

BUT

Also if someone comes to me and complains about said ride I feel it is my duty to try to educate about not being stupid.

Would you agree?

I will also be upfront and tell you that I occassionally break speed limits and may pass cars in locations that it is recommended that I don't pass cars. I may do this on the way to and from bike night. I might even be riding with other bike night riders at the time. Please don't yell at me too loudly.

I will file that under "Varying degrees of Responsible"

There is a Very fine line. I would say the line is crossed when someone in your group complains.

Something to learn here. Know your group and the riders you are with.

I lofted a lil wheelie from a light on the way home AFTER the bike night and I don't consider it irresponsible. If anyone else does PLEASE speak up.

I too might "occassionally break speed limits and may pass cars in locations that it is recommended that I don't pass cars"

I do not do this in mixed company or where I do not deem it reasonable safe and responsible. Someone else might and I would like to hear their point. (Varying degrees)

What should be clear is that there was a complaint and we are trying to EDUCATE not condemn.

The "Gorilla Group" mentality has to stop.

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Since part of the underlying objective of Bike Night is to promote responsible riding, I personally don't see any problem with calling out people for riding irresponsibly whether their actions are part of a Bike Night ride or not. If we (and by "we" I mean any of the core group of Bike Night regulars) witness it, there's nothing wrong with bringing it up in a constructive way and trying to educate people about why what they're doing is a bad idea and impacts all of us. (And I don't think any of us are concerned about a little speeding -- we're talking about stunting on busy streets or generally acting like an asshole.)

Right after I got home from Bike Night last night, I heard several sport bikes ripping along North Ave (and I live a good quarter mile away from North Ave). They were being intentionally obnoxious, revving and making shitloads of noise. I have no idea if they were Bike Night attendees or not, but if so, I really don't like the fact that the ride home from Bike Night gave them the "excuse" to behave in a way that draws a great deal of unwanted attention and creates general ill feeling among the many people who live in the New North End.

To break it down as simply as possible, Bike Night is a good venue for encouraging people to behave in a way that does not give motorcyclists a bad name.

--mark

Something to ponder on rides as a group. As parade style the lead bike drop off and block oncoming traffic and take up the rear after. This may seem a bit offensive but is actually proper technique. It keeps less experienced riders in the flow. It also keeps oncoming traffic from trying to bolt between riders.

I like Mark's comments, but I'd add that anyone and everyone should be encouraged to "educate" the irresponsible riders. I've called people on it, and I myself have been called on it. Not on bike night rides, but that really shouldn't make a difference in my book. The way this started I was afraid it was going to start a witch hunt trying to track down irresponsible riders for undefined actions that were deemed inappropriate by a group that the riders were loosely affiliated with.

"Inappropriate" riding is a very open statement. After hearing how the rider was riding I agree that he/she was being an idiot and should be made aware that riding like that in a group of unfamiliar riders is stupid and dangerous.

Parade lap is a different story than this incident, and should be dealt with more strictly (IMO).

Quote Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
    Something to ponder on rides as a group. As parade style the lead bike drop off and block oncoming traffic and take up the rear after. This may seem a bit offensive but is actually proper technique. It keeps less experienced riders in the flow. It also keeps oncoming traffic from trying to bolt between riders.
    We CANNOT block traffic. PLEASE do not do this.

The only time this is ok is if we are on an APPROVED (by the police) Benefit ride.

Doing it any other time, (although making it easier to keep the group intact) is NOT conducive to proper social ettiquette. (It will piss people off)

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

I like Mark's comments, but I'd add that anyone and everyone should be encouraged to "educate" the irresponsible riders. I've called people on it, and I myself have been called on it. Not on bike night rides, but that really shouldn't make a difference in my book. The way this started I was afraid it was going to start a witch hunt trying to track down irresponsible riders for undefined actions that were deemed inappropriate by a group that the riders were loosely affiliated with.

"Inappropriate" riding is a very open statement. After hearing how the rider was riding I agree that he/she was being an idiot and should be made aware that riding like that in a group of unfamiliar riders is stupid and dangerous.

Parade lap is a different story than this incident, and should be dealt with more strictly (IMO).
    Agreed.

I am still gonna witch hunt the lil squidly bastard and bitch slap him!

I keed, I Keed!!

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Agreed.

I am still gonna witch hunt the lil squidly bastard and bitch slap him!

I keed, I Keed!!
    Being a safe rider and setting an example is great. But being a bible thumper to anyone you see is only going to reflect bad on you.. If you have a friend who smokes, you know its bad and so do they. You can only do so much till they get pissed. Ultimately it is their choice, poor or not.
    I have friends who ride flat out every time they go out. Guess what? I don't ride with them.. That is my choice.
    Riding as a responsible group during an event is exposure and possible passing out promotional flyer etc. But hunting someone down to give them shit is going to put anyone on the defensive.
    Just last night leaving NY Pizza a cage stopped to let me out of the parking spot and a cagier behind her went around her and almost hit me. Should I go over and give her shit?? We need to choose our venues in how we promote not just safe riding but Bike awareness.
    I was thinking that down at the Manhattan pizza area would be a good place to hold an event.

I was thinking that down at the Manhattan pizza area would be a good place to hold an event.
    What kind of event are we talking about? I am all ears.

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

What kind of event are we talking about? I am all ears.
    Well it will take some leg work, but getting promoters to attend with safety gear as well as fun stuff. There is that guy from NH who has the trailered Dyno. Maybe have MSF come or at least donate promo stuff. Maybe even have a lil show N shine!! Judges etc!! If we can get someone to donate press time we can post it all over..
    Marketing Baby!!

Well it will take some leg work, but getting promoters to attend with safety gear as well as fun stuff. There is that guy from NH who has the trailered Dyno. Maybe have MSF come or at least donate promo stuff. Maybe even have a lil show N shine!! Judges etc!! If we can get someone to donate press time we can post it all over..
    Marketing Baby!!

That's funny, this sounds an awful lot like the Motorcycle Awareness Day that Doc put together back in April...

--mark

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    That's funny, this sounds an awful lot like the Motorcycle Awareness Day that Doc put together back in April...

--mark
    I was just about to say that. Thanks Mark!

RJ's is the Dyno that comes up from Nashua, NH (Great guys).

You have to remember about Noise and such and getting event permits etc.

The Dyno day will have some of the stuff you are talking about Wayne.

If you want to plan something I will help you as much as I can!

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

I was just about to say that. Thanks Mark!

RJ's is the Dyno that comes up from Nashua, NH (Great guys).

You have to remember about Noise and such and getting event permits etc.

The Dyno day will have some of the stuff you are talking about Wayne.

If you want to plan something I will help you as much as I can!
    Um all events have vendors.. But I have yet to see a show n shine for street bikes. If you want to promote awareness it takes more than one event. I was just a judge at a car show at Circuit city's show it went very well. It took us about 4 or 5 hours to judge them all.
    The Dyno day seemed to be not a done deal from what I was reading through the posts.