Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

What is the best bang for your buck race day helmet

Re: What is the best bang for your buck race day helmet

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    I would love an Arai but i wont be able to afford the cost of getting on the track after buying it. I'm a Broke man tying to race on a tight budget. Any sugetions though on a GOOD less expensive brand? if i spent that on a helmet i would literally cry if i went down with it.

- - - Updated - - -

I will check that one out thanks
    I think I'm gonna declare myself the resident helmet destroyer as I seem to destroy one every year the last few years. I've never once cried over the $500-600. That said my current helmet I bought on closeout last year. it was made in 09 so that's why it was cheaper. same helmet I was wearing before though, just different graphics. I figured I haven't gotten the 5 years out of one anyway so why spend the money for the 5. not saying that's the best way to look at it though.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

If you are already whining about money and scrimping on safety equipment, you have no place on a race track. Racing is like crack, it cost $.

This is my opinion.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

Quote Originally Posted by lord1234 View Post
    ok someone explain this to me, because this drives me crazy. If a helmet is DOT/Snell2010, and costs 100$, what makes that 400$ arai better other than creature comforts(such as wind noise). I would assume safety factors are identical if certified to the same level.
    as said before, most $100 helmets are plastic shell. a lot of the arai (and shoei) price tag is the brand, though they are excellent helmets. i have a scorpion right now, which i got on closeout (one year old because they discontinued the color scheme) for a pretty good deal. around $200...a little less iirc. check out closeouts or last year's floor models at a shop - you can usually get a pretty good deal, and if it only has 4 years left in it, that's plenty of time to throw it down the track.

good luck!

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

Have you seen my baseball GingahNinjah's Avatar

the hjc rps-10 is what it will be then. on top of all of the good reviews from you guys, If its good enough for Ben spies and it fits me it will more than do. I doubt i will see Spies speed anytime soon ( or ever ).
    Thanks Guys you all have been a great help.

as far as it being on the shelf and only having a few years left on it. I will be lucky if i don't go down this year in it and have to trash it. LOL

Just a quick point... Jorge Lorenzo is racing with an HJC RHPA Lid this season... apparently HJC is really stepping up their game and making a name for themselves and
    a better product. i have an HJC FS-15 Air and for what it is i love it.

https://www.facebook.com/LRRSBT1R #54 EX 2007 SV650 "Work hard. Play harder. Die broke and happy!" Boston Tier 1 Racing Pirelli Tires Woodcraft-CFM Armorbodies Penguin Racing School Vortex Shorai Batteries DP Brakes Riders Discount SIDI Leatt

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

To address the posts that are inquiring the differenes that make the "higher end" helmets cost more money.

Couple of things come to mind:

-weight-this does make a difference as far as how much energy you consume while riding the bike
    -ventilation-this can help you not to overheat while riding/racing
    -liner materials-i.e. sweat wicking material to keep head cool and more dry, softer nicer on the skin
    -ability to remove the liner for cleaning purposes-sucks to put on a stinky lid
    -eye port opening size-better vision is always a good thing when riding

As others have mentioned the most important thing in buying a helmet is the way it fits YOUR head. A really expensive ill fitting helmet is pretty much useless for anything but posing if that even matters.

Second to the fit would be the cost in most cases. If you can only afford a helmet in the lower price bracket be sure that it fits and then realize that you will give up the creature comforts that come with the more expensive helmets.

All of this takes into account the rules and regulations of the race series that you are planning on entering being met if racing and the standards set by the government for street riding.

Joel

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by lord1234 View Post
    ok someone explain this to me, because this drives me crazy. If a helmet is DOT/Snell2010, and costs 100$, what makes that 400$ arai better other than creature comforts(such as wind noise). I would assume safety factors are identical if certified to the same level.
    The fact that you "pass" the test doesn't mean you get 90/100 in it. There IS a difference between "meets" and "meets and exceeds". If you look at back protectors all the sub-4 model meets L2 certification, but they also exceeds it even thought they are only categorized as L2.

Agreed with the above. Good advice there.

I have a Shoei Qwest that I will sell for $250, which includes clear and smoke shield + pinlock. Sent in into Shoei couple months ago and passed inspection. let me know.

Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Current: 690E. Past: FE250, S1000XR, S1000R, Streefighter S, Monster S2R1000, RC51

I agree with Rada, coming from an Arai, I really like my RS-1.

BTW, I'm really surprised the the HJC RPHA-10, which is SNELL 2010, did horribly on the side impacts in the SHARP tests

Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Current: 690E. Past: FE250, S1000XR, S1000R, Streefighter S, Monster S2R1000, RC51

Meeting standards are one thing....exceeding standards are another

Lifer

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/insanity/2739

Scorpion EXO-700. SNELL (although SNELL2005). Fiber/kevlar shell. Removable liner and a lot of the other features like the expensive lids.

Or is SNELL2010 now the req?

I wear an EXO-700. Although I do not race.

That said, two issues ordering online: no promises or guidance on fit and no promises on date codes. Particularly with closeout helmets. They could have been in a warehouse for a long time.

What is a "good one" That wont break my bank account open? I want and understand the benifits of the Arai (and like brands) but i just really cant afford it.

I wouldn't even think about racing then...

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Seriously. You might want to rethink your plans man. Come up to the track and you'll see numerous people pissing away $400 bucks like it's nothing. Racing is expensive. Get your financial house in order. Then, get your money situation straight. Then find a bit more cash. That might last you the first weekend.

LRRS 878 Clapped out Gixxah

Or just get a great credit card. See ya up there.

LRRS 878 Clapped out Gixxah

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/insanity/2739

Scorpion EXO-700. SNELL (although SNELL2005). Fiber/kevlar shell. Removable liner and a lot of the other features like the expensive lids.

Or is SNELL2010 now the req?

I wear an EXO-700. Although I do not race.

That said, two issues ordering online: no promises or guidance on fit and no promises on date codes. Particularly with closeout helmets. They could have been in a warehouse for a long time.
    a lot of sites have online chat systems. great way to ask if they can go check a manufacture date. if its good for you tell them you want that one and order it right there.

I loved my Scorpion. It certainly held up in my crash. I have a Shoei now... not so enthused. Will get another Scorpion soon.

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

Quote Originally Posted by wiggeywackyo View Post
    Come up to the track and you'll see numerous people pissing away $400 bucks like it's nothing.

This pretty much sums up everyone

LRRS Expert #99
    08 R6

"why tip-toe through life to arrive safely at death?" Tony Campol

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Mike View Post
    To quote PK, I "went in too hot and ran out of talent".

i use scorpion strictly for the past 5 years. they dont have the best air flow but that doesnt justify to me spending 3 times the price.
    they are safe no doubt (I have crashed several of them) and they should pass tech no problem.
    Scorpion will not give you the date the helmet was manuffacture unfortunately so your best bet is to get the most recent models. at least thats my experience with buying them from online stores so far (motorcyclesuperstore, etc).
    $170 for my Scorpion EXO Impact with blue graphics that mathc both my bike and gear. and I have had several EXOs before and will keep buying them.

Have you seen my baseball GingahNinjah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Scorpion will not give you the date the helmet was manuffacture
    Heads up Sav according to the rulebook there HAS to be a date on the lid or it WILL NOT pass tech

https://www.facebook.com/LRRSBT1R #54 EX 2007 SV650 "Work hard. Play harder. Die broke and happy!" Boston Tier 1 Racing Pirelli Tires Woodcraft-CFM Armorbodies Penguin Racing School Vortex Shorai Batteries DP Brakes Riders Discount SIDI Leatt

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    this Joe Rocket Helmet, Its a re-bagged HJC and is Snell 2010 and Fiberglass so it shoudl meet any requirements. Luckily I havent had to test it yet.
    http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...le_helmet.html
    $69 on closeout, Snell 2010 and fiberglass!
    Edit: yes, my head is worth roughly that much.

Last edited by carsick; 04-17-13 at 03:06 PM. Reason: appease the helmet snobs/safety police
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by GingahNinjah View Post
    Heads up Sav according to the rulebook there HAS to be a date on the lid or it WILL NOT pass tech
    The Scorpions are dated. At least mine is.

I think he was trying to say that they would not give you date information pre-purchase, over the phone or whatever. Although I would think that is an issue with the retailer, not the manufacturer.

I have heard complaints on the 'net that e-retailers sell old stuff in these closeouts and uber-good deals. I lucked out and have a fairly recent build date. I think I'm good 'til 2015 or so. And I plan on upgrading the helmet by then anyway.

Last edited by nhbubba; 04-17-13 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    The Scorpions are dated. At least mine is.

I think he was trying to say that they would not give you date information pre-purchase, over the phone or whatever. Although I would think that is an issue with the retailer, not the manufacturer.

I have heard complaints on the 'net that e-retailers sell old stuff in these closeouts and uber-good deals. I lucked out and have a fairly recent build date. I think I'm good 'til 2015 or so. And I plan on upgrading the helmet by then anyway.
    bubba you feel me

Lifer

So that's what that was!

Quote Originally Posted by GingahNinjah View Post
    For the price tag you are looking for id say go with an HJC FG-17... new this year SNELL 2010/DOT pretty good reviews from what i have heard so far... may just get one myself

http://hjchelmets.com/v2kx2/
    The HJC FG-17 is a fiberglass composite model and WILL pass LRRS tech..unlike the lower cost HJC polycarbonate (plastic) models

Graham
    "If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee — that will do them in"

One thing to note and not mentioned yet...
    It is a real good plan to have a back up helmet too. A minor low side can result in you dragging your knoggin across the pavement and ruining your lid.
    You can run around and put on a new foot peg and get back out to the track but for your lid that will no longer pass tech or should be used for that matter.

Don't be this guy and not have a back up helmet at the races..

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast