Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Race tire questions

Race tire questions

I have an old ZX6R with Michelin H2's. The tires have 2 trackdays, a Friday Penguin day, Saturday practice and 3 races on them. My lap times on average about 1:30. How long should I expect these tires to last and how do I know when they are spent (visual inspection?)? I'd like to use them for a few races next week...

Also, does the front tend to last longer than the rear? I have another new H2 rear that I could use. If both should be done at the same time what would be a good front tire to mix with the H2 rear?

Thanks for any input/suggestions!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Race tire questions

We've all been in that situation before. I believe this is where experience comes into play. You learn to feel when the tires have less grip. Unfortunately, I learned the hard way. I kept pushing tires until... "boom" down I went. I also found it tough to get into any rythem as I was constantly on degrading tires. I've kept a pretty good running log of my tire durations over the years and here's what I've found. At 1:21" or slower I was able to get 10+ races out of a set of tires. No joke. As soon as I hit teens, it got cut in half. Right around the 1:18 mark they went down to 3 races per rear and about 5-6 per front.

So the short story... "its cheaper to buy new tires than it is to repair a crashed bike". IMHO, I'd dump everything you have for a set of real race tires. At your pace, you'll get your money's worth out of them.

Sell em all to the squids on Animal Hill during the classic and get a nice new set and start from scratch.

Keeping a log is an excellent tip. I have tossed too many good tires already.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

in addition to what was already said, if you see your tread starting to look like a ski-jump, its about time.

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

OK, thanks for the info. I think I'll chuck these tires and get some fresh put on. Stock rear width is a 160, currently running a 170 (5" rim, but I think a 180 would have clearance issues).

Any recommendations for tires (brand/model)? At this point looks like I will have to get them at the track next Thursday...

I can't speak on behalf of that tire size. Ask around and see what other have to say... god knows, there's plenty of people up there running 160 rear's.

After all the homework I did... I'll tell ya what worked for me. I looked at what the realllllly fast guys running? If nothing else, I'd start with that.

If you're going for laptimes or wins, not being sure your tires are good will slow you down. I'd just change them and be done with it. And you might be better going back to a 160 rear.......

Pirelli Dragons are great and they're probably the most affordable DOT race tire you can find.

One of the former LRRS #13's

http://www.facebook.com/ChrisWatt762

JT42

Stick to the 160.

LRRS #387

Just Registered Crash Dummy Denno's Avatar

caution: real good advice here

120 blue front/160 green rear pirelli dragons
    they are $299 per set and will bring you all the way into the high teens no problem
    pre-buy here to reserve a set - Boston Moto will work with you to set up your suspension and get you up to speed on the tires!

Denno

Denno - CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 Yamaha R6
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2008