Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

It's going to be an interesting next few weeks, and probably not in a good way either

It's going to be an interesting next few weeks, and probably not in a good way either

Here's the story:

Bought my 2005 FJR in St Pete, FL with 4100 miles on it. An epic 6 days and 2400-ish miles of making my way back north to NH and the engine develops the much feared "FJR-tick".

The result of dissimilar metals, what's happening is the valve guide material is softer than the valve stem material. The ticking is created when the valve starts to wear away one side of the guide and at that point the valve starts to open and close at an angle causing the ticking when it closes and basically slams into the valve seat. Not good by any means.

It's a generally known issue in the FJR community that Yamaha never acknowledged with a TSB other than in Australia. Apparently Yamaha doesn't make a move on something unless 3% of sold units are affected. Funny thing is it seems like 2.9999999% of FJR' are affected.

Over the years, various 2005 FJR's have had the guides and valves replaced by Yamaha out of good faith. I can only hope that I'll get the same good faith in the upcoming weeks as there are two major things working against me--> I'm not the original owner and the bike's well out of warranty.

One good thing is I have a dealer who is going to work with me the best they can (which means making some calls) in the hopes that Yamaha steps up to the plate on this. The interesting part is when I get to remove the head from the engine......this is gonna be fun! (and worthless according to RandyO...)

So here I am, 8 grand poorer on a bike with 7300 miles on it that needs the head removed and looked at by Yamaha service professionals.

Stay tuned for the engine removal and tear-down.......might be a good time to boost the motor, eh?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: It's going to be an interesting next few weeks, and probably not in a good way ei

I would classify that as devastating.

2001 CBR 929RR
    1996 ZX-7 P1
    1981 KZ1000 K1 LTD

Lowell/Milford, MA

Re: It's going to be an interesting next few weeks, and probably not in a good way ei

Wow that sucks. Press in all new guides and check the valves? If your ripping the head off it seems like there won't be much for Yamaha to help out with.

Sorry to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by burnham View Post
    If your ripping the head off it seems like there won't be much for Yamaha to help out with.
    Parts cost is mostly what I'm hoping they cover.

According to some research, for the most part Yamaha was replacing the guides and valves with updated materials and in some cases going so far as to replace the entire head assy. Not sure what dictated the head replacement in those cases. I can only be patient and accept the factory's decision, whatever that might be.

Ultimately, I think the last thing Yamaha wants is for them to do absolutely nothing about this and then I blow a motor as a result. Not good PR if that were to happen and, based on my conversation with a representative from the factory, they are very aware of the forums out there on the intraweb.

I remain completely confident that Yamaha takes care of their customers in many different scenarios.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Sucks, but in reality, it's not THAT much work. Get a factory service manual and have at it. It's probably easier to unbolt the engine and lift the bike off it than to do the wrok in the frame. I repalced 8 intake valves on a Concours a few years back and it was not nearly as much work as I expected.

I have a neat wooden box with multiple compartments that I made to keep the valves, springs, cams, followers etc. from a DOHC IL4 in proper order. You are welcome to use it. I have valve spring compressors, an arbor press and other tools you may need as well too. I'm in Raymond.

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    Sucks, but in reality, it's not THAT much work. Get a factory service manual and have at it. It's probably easier to unbolt the engine and lift the bike off it than to do the wrok in the frame. I repalced 8 intake valves on a Concours a few years back and it was not nearly as much work as I expected.
    Yeah, I'm basically familiarizing myself with this bike in the process. I think I just need to unbolt the front top and rotate the engine down to gain access to the head for removal.

I have a neat wooden box with multiple compartments that I made to keep the valves, springs, cams, followers etc. from a DOHC IL4 in proper order. You are welcome to use it. I have valve spring compressors, an arbor press and other tools you may need as well too. I'm in Raymond.
    Thank you! I'll keep this in mind when I begin the work. I have a bunch of small bins that will house the valves and respective parts...I may be hitting you up for the spring tool and press. Still have to see what's going to happen as far as warranty work. The dealer very well be doing the head work if it ends up being covered by Yamaha......let us pray...

Good luck with the warranty attempt.

From other reports I have read of people doing things like this, there is very little chance that you'll be completely left in the cold. At the very least they are going to do something like make you pay labor and they donate parts, or similar.

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they helped you out completely, either.

Best of luck, bud. That could be a shitty situation, but hope for the best. Yammy's service has been great with most people I've seen with issues like this.

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

Quote Originally Posted by MVOUS View Post
    reminds me of yamaha and the stalling issue the 03 r6 had. it was all over the r6messagenet but yamaha wouldnt do a damn thing about it. id think twice about buying a yamaha again
    I believe that was the TPS thing?? Not too sure...

It's not just Yamaha that doesn't admit to manufactuing defects with certain questionable products.

BMW is by far and beyond the worst offender, IMHO. One fine example is all the 1994 V-8 equipped cars. The cylinder walls had a coating that didn't jive with our fuel mixture to which the piston rings and cylinder walls reacted. The result? Many of the engines lost compression and by "many" I mean "mostly all". To correct this, instead of stepping up and issuing a recall or warranty repairs, BMW told its customers that they could buy a new engine on their own dime (at about $6000 at the time) or they could buy a new short block and have their parts swapped over (in the end, about $4000).

I'm certain Yamaha will make me, a dedicated customer, happy. If not then I'll have to consider another manufacturer for my next purchase and report my dealings with Yamaha to certain forums.