Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Questions about getting into racing

Lifer

Re: Questions about getting into racing

Move along, nothing for you to see here, eh?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jewcati View Post
    My issue is that I have a street 1199s and a track 750. I no longer want to ride street. Should I:

1) race the 750?
    2) convert the 1199 to track? So I don't lose my money in resale
    3) sell both and get an MW bike
    4) wait and see how much time / I like racing?

I am sure I will be slow on any bike and will be in novice for a while.
    1) Novices are offered more races when entering with a smaller bike. Consier going with a MW or LW then graduating from there.

2) From everything I've read (and the couple times I've ridden 1098's in particular), it will take ~$3000 in suspension, triples and dogbones in order to get that Ducati to turn properly, nevermind the cost of smashing one up.

3) Yep and you can still enter HW races later on and beat up on those guys.

4) Why wait? Hold on to the 750 (at least for now), get licensed, enter a race or two before season's end then make your decisions with regards to whether or not you'll enjoy it.....but remember, it's all wicked fun until you find yourself sliding on your ass while watching your machine cartwheel next to you 15' in the air.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    it's all wicked fun until you find yourself cartwheeling 15' in the air while watching your machine sliding towards you.

Edited for clarity of suckageness. I would recommend a LW also, it's ridiculous fun to beat a bike with twice the power! Somehow I don't think this is going to become the buy an SV thread though.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

I am interested in lw, but I know very little about it. What are good lw bikes? Good places to find a set up one? Is an rs250 an lw or an mw, being that it is a 2 stroke?

Quote Originally Posted by carsick View Post
    Edited for clarity of suckageness. I would recommend a LW also, it's ridiculous fun to beat a bike with twice the power! Somehow I don't think this is going to become the buy an SV thread though.
    - - - Updated - - -

Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    1) Novices are offered more races when entering with a smaller bike. Consier going with a MW or LW then graduating from there.

2) From everything I've read (and the couple times I've ridden 1098's in particular), it will take ~$3000 in suspension, triples and dogbones in order to get that Ducati to turn properly, nevermind the cost of smashing one up.

3) Yep and you can still enter HW races later on and beat up on those guys.

4) Why wait? Hold on to the 750 (at least for now), get licensed, enter a race or two before season's end then make your decisions with regards to whether or not you'll enjoy it.....but remember, it's all wicked fun until you find yourself sliding on your ass while watching your machine cartwheel next to you 15' in the air.

Sell the 1199s if you can get decent money back without taking a huge loss, keep the 750 as a backup bike. If at all possible, try out an SV650. It's an awesome class to race, its an awesome bike to teach you how to ride fast. Get some good close racing, cheaper to run than 600 because tires don't wear as fast and parts are cheaper, way cheaper than duc parts, and knowledge is plentiful at the track. Racing is awesome cause you do learn to go faster in a race environment than track days. The group of people who race become your family away from home. Friday and Saturday night, just roam around the infield anywhere and there will be a fire pit going, grills burning, cold beers, hot burgers for the taking, and lots of laughs to be shared!

Quote Originally Posted by Jewcati View Post
    My issue is that I have a street 1199s and a track 750. I no longer want to ride street. Should I:

1) race the 750?
    2) convert the 1199 to track? So I don't lose my money in resale
    3) sell both and get an MW bike
    4) wait and see how much time / I like racing?

I am sure I will be slow on any bike and will be in novice for a while.

The SV650 is the most popular LW.

Edit: Correction. If I'm reading correctly the SV is actually an Ultralight.
    "Twin Cylinder, Liquid Cooled, up to 650cc"

Last edited by jasnmar; 09-02-13 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanNicholson View Post
    Do not race the 1199. Sell it if you like but converting it will make it close to worthless as far as reselling it goes. Not to mention how you're gonna feel when you pitch it over the hill in T4. Race the 750 if you like, personally if I were in your situation I would probably race the 750 if it's already prepped. Once you get a feel for whether you like racing (you will, I'm just saying so for GP) figure out which classes are more your style and go from there. I'm a MW guy so I would lean towards selling the 750 and buying a 600 but that's just me, different strokes for different folks.
    I agree. if you already have the 750 then give it a shot. if you want to switch to a 600 later you can. if you decide racing isn't for you then you didn't spend all that time switching it over.

Quote Originally Posted by DZircher View Post
    All I can say is that I'm pretty pragmatic and I calculated my startup costs to the line item. Then I added 20% for unforeseen items. I was still nearly 30% off my adjusted estimates. But it's been one of the most amazing ventures I've had. Amazingly awesome people in the paddock, great instructors, mentors and friends.

Stop down to center #15 and say hi at round #6!

-diz
    see why I don't add up the cost of anything? I warm up the credit card on gas and get it hot with tires.

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    The SV650 is the most popular LW.

Edit: Correction. If I'm reading correctly the SV is actually an Ultralight.
    "Twin Cylinder, Liquid Cooled, up to 650cc"
    I haven't read any of the UL/LW sections but you're reading wrong. I think there's a line in there somewhere that says the SV is excluded from UL in LRRS

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    I haven't read any of the UL/LW sections but you're reading wrong. I think there's a line in there somewhere that says the SV is excluded from UL in LRRS
    You are correct. Note after the the UL section.

"Liquid cooled machines, up to 650cc manufactured after 1998 are excluded from this class"

Which makes the Hawk UL eligible, but not the SV.

Last edited by jasnmar; 09-02-13 at 11:41 AM.

You are correct. Note after the the UL section.

"Liquid cooled machines, up to 650cc manufactured after 1998 are excluded from this class"

Which makes the Hawk UL eligible, but not the SV.
    Exactly. But only at lrrs. Not the rest of ccs nation.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I started on a heavyweight bike, the R1. That was a wild ride, one that ended with me firing most of the tail section (including the subframe and exhausts) over the spectator fence in homestead about 6 months after I started, and completely destroying the bike. I'm a Marine, have more balls than brains, and just didn't listen to advice from the faster guys. I finally listened this year, I got a race prepped SV650 and while I still have crashed plenty (I'm a habitual line stepper, in life and on the track) they haven't been the nasty, bone breaking highsides that the R1 would reward you with for being a little too harsh on the throttle. My advice, written in my own blood and hospital bills, would be to start on a smaller bike. The smallest one you can stomach. You will learn and advance faster, because you're building upon skills at some measure of safety. There is a reason the pros progress up from the 125/250 bikes up to 600s then 1000s then GP bikes. Learn corner speed first, then you can tack on corner speed with a healthy addition of throttle management with the 600, then if you want you can bump up to the 1000s and learn how to harness all that wheelspin and scary fast power. You won't really use it at Loudon, but if you travel to NJMP or Homestead, the liter bikes come into their own.

Truth be told, if you come with a ninja 250 you'll still have a blast. As far as how much money to set aside, I like what Steve Nogueira said when asked by a basic class student "How much money should I budget for racing?"
    Steve's response: "All of it."

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

I bet a Ninja/EX 250 is a heckuva lot of fun to rip around on. Strongly considered getting one of those myself.

On the other hand, 2nd hand, track prep'ed SV's grow like weeds 'round here.

Sounds like this guy has some money... Get a Ninja 300 for the new 300 class AND a race prepped SV and have a blast!

Oh wait... Buy a Hawk.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Lifer

Isn't there a 'busa class?!? Phhh, what kind of race org is this!!

[QUOTE=Jewcati;1305700]I am interested in lw, but I know very little about it. What are good lw bikes? Good places to find a set up one? Is an rs250 an lw or an mw, being that it is a 2 stroke?

QUOTE] Get a TZ 250 or RS125 and they are very light LW bikes

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Isn't there a 'busa class?!? Phhh, what kind of race org is this!!
    'Busa only fits in to unlimited if I'm reading correctly.

The GL, technically qualifies for heavy weight, due to the unusual engine configuration. (Unfortunately qualifies has nothing to do with competitive in )

Still waiting on that factory stereo required class...

'Busa only fits in to unlimited if I'm reading correctly.

The GL, technically qualifies for heavy weight, due to the unusual engine configuration. (Unfortunately qualifies has nothing to do with competitive in )

Still waiting on that factory stereo required class...

Yea something tells me my 750 might have a leg up on your GL off the line You've got me killed in an iron butt class though!

Come into National at some point and say Hi btw... face to name is always fun.

Yea something tells me my 750 might have a leg up on your GL off the line You've got me killed in an iron butt class though!

Come into National at some point and say Hi btw... face to name is always fun.
    Amazingly I'd be less concerned about you beating me off the line (which you would, but I might surprise you), than I'd be with my ability to keep up in the corners. I'm at a bit of a lean angle disadvantage .

The GL does advertise a 3.7s 0-60 time.

I'm an old fat guy with an unattractive face . I absolutely will stop by sometime soon. Drove by this evening. You weren't there .

That doesn't surprise me at all... they do haul ass. I was way impressed after seeing them in action.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Faceplant View Post
    Honestly, sell the 750 motor, ecu, and airbox and switch it over to a 600.

750 motors sell more than the 600's and you'll be eligible for a lot more classes once you bump to amateur.

The 750's are eligible for Unlimited, GTO, and HW races. 600's can enter in any of those 6 classes, plus GTU, and all 3 MW races.
    Dropping a 600 motor in a 750 chassis wouldn't be legal for most MW classes. MWGP seems to be the exception.

Supersport rules: "20.1.2.1
    Original equipment wheels, brake
    calipers, forks, frame, engine, fuel
    induction system, and swing arm must
    be used"

Superbike rules: "20.2.1.3
    Reducing engine size of machines
    from stock displacement to meet
    lower class displacement limits is
    not allowed. (i.e. a bike that is a
    Heavyweight in origin cannot be re-
    sized for Middleweight competition"

technically correct mike, but the 600/750 GSX-Rs are the same bike and part numbers except the motor, ECU, and air box

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

technically correct mike, but the 600/750 GSX-Rs are the same bike and part numbers except the motor, ECU, and air box
    Gotcha. The odds anyone would ever notice, check, or care are probably absurdly slim anyway.

My suggestion is the cheapest route, since those three items could be picked up for under $700 total. The 750 motors sell around $700+

Plus he wouldn't have to deal with selling the 750 bike and buying/building a new 600 to his liking.

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

IMHO just get out and see a few green flags, see how you like it. If you need new underwear before the 4 board, sell the 750 and enjoy your 1199 on the street.

If you need new underwear somewhere after the 3 board, there are plenty of people that can relate to that.

Last edited by RyanNicholson; 09-03-13 at 06:20 PM.

2012 GSX-R 600 Frame PN: 41100-14J00-YAP
    2012 GSX-R 750 Frame PN: 41100-15J00-YAP

I can't find any signs of the frames sharing part numbers, if someone were to protest, they'd win.

IMHO just get out and see a few green flags, see how you like it. If you need new underwear before the 4 board, sell the 750 and enjoy your 1199 on the street.

If you need new underwear somewhere after the 3 board, there are plenty of people that can relate to that.
    this.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast