Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sunday 7/26 White Mountains

Re: Sunday 7/26 White Mountains

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjajim View Post
    The fish eye lens does not do our video justice. There is major elevation change.
    Thats what I thought after watching that video. From the video, it looks like there are no steep roads with high elevation etc....that video is not that scary, except the fact that the road is small ....shud be a lil careful.

I thought there are roads on the side of the mountain, meaning you are riding with mountain on one side and a valley on the other, with no railing to protect you. This one has forest all around you and I guess it should be ok if you are doing 40-50mph or less(for the noobs, i mean).

But lets see.....i`ll be very careful and mindful of it(maybe even not cross 40mph)...dats for sure....hehe.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by njsrikar; 07-25-09 at 04:33 PM.

In hibernation

Absolutely... I actually planned on breaking formation on this road and letting those who want to rip it take it. There are going to be too many people on this ride to keep formation (we will be riding HMR 2x tomorrow)... its just the way the route works.

Stiggy.. have at it... its you're road homie!

Quote Originally Posted by Stiggy View Post
    I'll lead HMR if no one minds.

In hibernation

Exclamation Re: Sunday 7/26 White Mountains

Wow.. it appears we have a BIG group on this ride.
    All systems (including weather) are a-go!!!!

The forecast does call for a 50% CHANCE of a PASSING shower.. this is a normal summer afternoon folks and as in the past, I will not call a ride on it.

Due to the size of the group, I expect the pace to be affected accordingly on slab portions. We will have a short 'route briefing' before we leave. Additionally I have a route plan printed out for everyone 'just in case' we have a seperated rider inclusive of phone numbers and turn by turn direcitons to meet back up! We will have a sweep, and I expect with the number we have riding, we may need to utilize a couple traffic blockers from time to time.

Stiggy and Jim - I trust I can rely on you guys as my co-leads for the portions as we've done in the past??? We tend to make a great leading team!!

At this point, any further inquiries, sign-ups, etc please call or text me directly as I can't promise I'll be back on here before we ride.

Thanks... and I look forward to a kick ass ride tomorrow.

Yeah no problem Leaf. I plan to stake a spot as second in lead for the ride. Also I would recommend no passing unless the entire group can pass as a whole.

06 RC46

In hibernation
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 6.12) T-Mobile Dash)

Quote Originally Posted by Stiggy
    Yeah no problem Leaf. I plan to stake a spot as second in lead for the ride. Also I would recommend no passing unless the entire group can pass as a whole.
    absolutely...thats one of the things we will cover before we leave too. thanks guys

Stiggy I'll be meetin ya at your house in the morning, got a PM from Jim...rode with him today.

Never been up to the white mountaints/HMR so I'll be taking it easy up there for the first time

Very good advice right here for everyone. Ride YOUR ride. No one will bust balls for riding within YOUR ability! You will not be left behind, don't worry.

Here's the list of everyone meeting at my house, I will wait for everyone.

duffy
    ninjajim
    njsrikar
    MattyM
    Wordtooyomama
    duffy
    jcc152

Quote Originally Posted by TPcowell View Post
    I would just like to quickly add something that I believe was not emphasized enough in the masspm - ride at your own ability, at all costs.

I know from personal experience that trying to 'catch-up' with more experienced riders results in injury. On a road like HMR, when we rally before the road, I urge everyone who does not feel comfortable (or plain does not have experience) to take up a position in the back. I know I will and still enjoy the ride, not necessarily the speed.

Last edited by Stiggy; 07-25-09 at 06:00 PM.
    06 RC46

In hibernation
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 6.12) T-Mobile Dash)

Quote Originally Posted by Stiggy
    absolutely...thats one of the things we will cover before we leave too. thanks guys

In hibernation

Quote Originally Posted by MattyM
    Stiggy I'll be meetin ya at your house in the morning, got a PM from Jim...rode with him today.

Never been up to the white mountaints/HMR so I'll be taking it easy up there for the first time
    matt...

glad to hear you're gonna join us. the mtns as a rules are more fun/scenic than challenging. we will hit hmr twice to given the first timers a second chance at it....

youll/we'll all have a great ride.... im confident its well-planned and we are prepared with leaders; captain's, and a solid route.

see you bright and early!!!!

Yea man, sounds like a great ride. I'll take it easy the first run through HMR then maybe pick it up a bit the 2nd run if I'm feelin comfortable. I have no problem stickin back a bit and takin my time on a tough road until I know it well.

I'm not a morning person, in the least, but I'll be there, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by FlynGSXR1k View Post

matt...

glad to hear you're gonna join us. the mtns as a rules are more fun/scenic than challenging. we will hit hmr twice to given the first timers a second chance at it....

youll/we'll all have a great ride.... im confident its well-planned and we are prepared with leaders; captain's, and a solid route.

see you bright and early!!!!

Hawk Is Respectable Now WordTooYoMamma's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (Tilt: HTC-8900/1.2 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) UP.Link/6.3.1.20.06.3.1.20.0)

ill have my gps too leafy

As far as roads go... Ride your own ride is the best plan for everyone. I will be there to help anyone with any needs or concerns. We will have a good safe ride no matter what. If anything happens we will be well prepared to solve any problem.

If you have a bike or riding question on this ride come to me. I will steer you in the right direction:-)

Last edited by Ninjajim; 07-25-09 at 06:55 PM.
    Diablo Black 07 ZX-14

well...all the support is great....thank you one n all. cant wait for tomorrow

In hibernation

IDK about that... based on the last time I rode HMR with Jim, he'll steer you right in to a ditch and teach you how to recover it perfectly!!!!

Serioulsy... everyone.. there is a lot of experienced riders on this ride and we're here to help make it a fun, safe, and adventurious day..... Jim, Stiggy and I do this trip a few times a month...

Kick back... be on time at the rally point and have a great ride!!!

See y'all in the morning!

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjajim View Post
    As far as roads go... Ride your own ride is the best plan for everyone. I will be there to help anyone with any needs or concerns. We will have a good safe ride no matter what. If anything happens we will be well prepared to solve any problem.

If you have a bike or riding question on this ride come to me. I will steer you in the right direction:-)

IDK about that... based on the last time I rode HMR with Jim, he'll steer you right in to a ditch and teach you how to recover it perfectly!!!!
    HA!

But really, Jim and I have well over 10k riding together, he knows how to keep the shiny side up.

06 RC46

Serioulsy... everyone.. there is a lot of experienced riders on this ride and we're here to help make it a fun, safe, and adventurious day..... Jim, Stiggy and I do this trip a few times a month...

Kick back... be on time at the rally point and have a great ride!!!

See y'all in the morning!
    Yeah, I learn the hard way. That is why it is wise to listen to me. You can save yourself the heart break:-)

Diablo Black 07 ZX-14

Quote Originally Posted by njsrikar View Post
    views and comments on that road - here

this doesnt look so scary
    I won't ride HMR, unless I'm the last bike and running well below any regular pace. That road just freaks me out for some reason.

tomorrows going to be my first ride on HMR I'm going to take it realllllyyy cautiously lol

i'm off to bed leaving central MA at 730 tomorrow lol

In hibernation

Just a late night update....

Chance of showers in N. Conway (closest city proximity to our primary riding area) is down to 40% of passing showers.... even better than previously forecast.

This ride is ON. (I will have a hoodie for the auto-road) (it gets foggy and damp up there at times... or we could pass through the cloud line at 4000ft and be in the absolute clear at 6200 feet!.

Sleep well, see you in the AM

Sounds good leaf. I'll txt you in the AM when we are about to leave my place.

06 RC46

In hibernation

At 6am, there are a few showers passing through southern NH, and radar shows a storm cell moving easterly through central Mass.

The forecast on all three sources shows the same as it has, so I assume the daytime sun will dry these up as forecast (I was up at this hour yesterday for a White Mountain hike and it cleared up by 9:00am).

I presume the morning showers will keep the attendance down, however I'm not prepared to call the ride off at this point. I'll be watching radar and for forecast changes closely for the next 90 minutes if things change I'll post on here.

Rain or shine, I will go to the rally point to meet anyone that goes out so no one will be SOL :-)

I was thinking about passing on this ride after reading about how dangerous this HMR road is and how we are going to do it twice. I have not done any corners at all with this bike (cept on ramps) and I am not comfortable at all. I have ridden this bike only few hundred miles so far (thanks to crappy weather). But after reading how I am not the only one with reservations about taking it easy and how the other riders will be considerate of all experience levels and it looks so well organized, it's convinced me that it will be all right (but if I go down and live, I will be so PISSED, I still have parts waiting to arrive for this bike and it better not be junked) I figure you have to learn at some point right?

Passing showers do not bother me. I'll be at the meet up point bright and early ready to rip up some pavement

Oh, haven't heard back from friend So it will just be me.

In hibernation

Don't let HMR scare you. It IS technical and challenging, but only as much so as you make it for yourself.

Last time me stiggy and jim rode it 3x...its a short road and you'll have fun!

In hibernation

Weather Update:
    As forecasted, the last of the line of storms is moving across the NH/MA border now, and north country is clear.

I'm pulling my bike out in a few mins to get her ready.
    Radar Loop at 0646: http://mfile.akamai.com/12878/live/reflector:38181.asx

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    I was thinking about passing on this ride after reading about how dangerous this HMR road is and how we are going to do it twice. I have not done any corners at all with this bike (cept on ramps) and I am not comfortable at all. I have ridden this bike only few hundred miles so far (thanks to crappy weather). But after reading how I am not the only one with reservations about taking it easy and how the other riders will be considerate of all experience levels and it looks so well organized, it's convinced me that it will be all right (but if I go down and live, I will be so PISSED, I still have parts waiting to arrive for this bike and it better not be junked) I figure you have to learn at some point right?

Passing showers do not bother me. I'll be at the meet up point bright and early ready to rip up some pavement

Oh, haven't heard back from friend So it will just be me.

Harley's do it no problem man. No worrys. If you do it fast then it can get hairy.

06 RC46

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast